2nd Trimester
Options

crib bumpers?

are a no-no because of SIDS, right?  why do all of the bedding sets seem to include them?  or, are they referring to something else when they say avoid "crib bumpers"?

Re: crib bumpers?

• Options
    You'll get a bunch of different answers of this one...its all personal choice and how comfortable you feel with having one on. There's pros and cons to using one just like anything else...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The idea that bumpers are a no, is a pretty new.  Therefore there are many people that believe they are fine.

They sell them in sets, because people spend the money and buy them in sets.  Just like they sell the quilits in the set too.

Overall, it is a personal preference.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is a personal choice only the parents can make. I used one with DS and I will use one again with #2.
  • Options

when I was looking around online I saw a set of individual bumpers.  It was a bumper for each bar.  I couldn't help but think how long would it take to tie a bumper to each bar? 

I think the general thought now is that traditional bumpers are more likely to cause SIDS then to prevent a baby from getting hurt "bumping" into the bars. 

IMG_2848 {d325fecd-18bb-4c4c-89b0-651dab154130}_1 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Rich & Amy May 25th 2008
  • Options
    we used a bumper with dd and will again with this LO, the idea is pretty new that they can cause a problem. this is a good question to ask your pedi when you interview, that is what we did. they can give you another opinion
  • Options
    Definitely agree with PP, bumpers a personal choice that only you can make. We will use with our children, personal decision for us. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didn't use them last time and won't this time. Very few things scare me as much as SIDS, so I just follow all of the guidelines about bumpers, blankets, etc... better safe than sorry. And it doesn't make me feel any better hearing the arguments that when we were little, our moms were told something else. Car seats weren't mandated for a long time either.
  • Options
    For me, my mom is making the crib bedding and curtains.  Therefore,  if this is one less thing for her to make, I am fine with it. 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

very few of the sets in Australia now come with bumpers because of the SIDS risk - I have read the main reason to not have them is that they reduce the air flow in the crib, which may be a cause of SIDS

I think if you get a set that does have them you could maybe incorporate them somewhere else in the room??

• Options

I wondered the same thing when someone told me bumpers aren't recommended by some people...if they aren't safe, then why does nearly every set include them? Like one of the above posters said, I plan on using the breathable bumpers to be on the safe side. They are supposed to protect baby from injury, but are made of a mesh-type fabric that is supposedly safer than the cloth bumpers.

A friend of mine bought a bedding set at Babies R Us and turned the bumpers into valances for the windows. Really cute way to incorporate them into the room, if you choose not to use them.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wonder the same thing. My younger brother was high-risk for SIDS as an infant. He stopped breathing randomly, and had to be hooked up to a monitor that beeped to tell us if he wasn't breathing. I take the SIDS thing very seriously as a result (I remember seeing him like that) and think there's a lot of valid research to make me not want to use a bumper.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    That's it. We didn't use crib bumpers or blankets in the crib with DD. I think the beddings sets are a waste. I bought a dust ruffle and crib sheets. DD wore blanket sleepers as blankets. I know lots of people use the bumpers and quilts, but it wasn't a risk I was willing to take.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"