Eco-Friendly Family
Options

What do you disinfect items from second hand shops with?

UGH totally ended that with a preposition... Bought a bumbo seat from consignment and want to clean it.. just soap and water? Vinegar?  What disinfects?  Stupidly, I make my own cleaners following a recipe but I don't actually know what does what.

Learn something every day...

THanks! 

Re: What do you disinfect items from second hand shops with?

• Options
    I just use vinegar and water usually, unless something seems particularly dirty. Then I use Dr. Bronner's diluted with warm water. 
  • Options

I'd probably just wash it well with soap and water and then put it out in the sun to dry (sun being a natural disinfectant) if I could.

For clothes I just wash them with everything else, so this is sort of the same thing. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would just wash it with soap and water and let it dry out in the sun. Luckily there's sunshine year around where I live so I don't usually have to wait more than a week for it to come out. I'm not sure what I would do if I lived somewhere without sun.

I think you can disinfect by spraying hydrogen peroxide and then vinegar but I'm not sure about that. I only have vague memories of reading that somewhere.

• Options
    imageblissfully_caffeinated:

I would just wash it with soap and water and let it dry out in the sun. Luckily there's sunshine year around where I live so I don't usually have to wait more than a week for it to come out. I'm not sure what I would do if I lived somewhere without sun.

I think you can disinfect by spraying hydrogen peroxide and then vinegar but I'm not sure about that. I only have vague memories of reading that somewhere.

Hmm, I'd probably still just use soap and hot water but DH does use hydrogen peroxide when gets blood/fluids on his shoes so that probably would get rid of any bacteria if you feel the need to do more. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    I went ahead w/ soap and water.. I think it will be fine.  It's a bumbo seat, I'm sure it will be fine.  The jumparoo I bought second hand I am more worried about... I'll try some of these other combos.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"