Breastfeeding
Options

switching breasts during feeding

So my little man is about 8 days old. The nurse told me that I should feed him off of both breasts during each feeding to stimulate milk production in both breasts. However, my baby always decides to fall fast asleep on the first breast. I try to wake him and sometime he wakes, sometimes he doesn't. On my next feeding I do feed off of the other breast. Should I be doing something else? Pumping the other breast after he falls asleep? Or just leave it be and if he feeds off of both breasts, then great if not then no worries?

Re: switching breasts during feeding

• Options

I tried to feed off both in the beginning and the same thing would happen.  Then I got worried that if I pulled her off and she didnt take the other then she wasnt getting a full meal.  

I only do one boob at a time now... sometimes if she seems hungry after stopping at one I will do both but mostly its just one a time :-) 

• Options

Total PITA, but my LC suggested mom and baby being skin-on-skin during feedings to help keep him awake. 

Right now LO needs both breasts at a feeding, and he falls asleep on the first in the middle of the night.  Since he's still hungry, all we need to do is a diaper change between boobs to get him back at it again.  GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mt lc suggested the skin to skin too, plus do manual compessions everytime she stops swallowing
  • Options
    At that point, I was only feeding on one side since my DS liked to fall asleep, too.  I would just offer the opposite side for the next feeding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"