Multiples
Options

Cautiously sticking my toe in...

Hi there.  I would like to introduce myself.  I have a 3 year old son and my H and I have been TTC since 2008.  After many failed infertility treatments, we reluctantly move onto IVF.  Well, it worked!! (obviously, since I'm here)  Went to our first u/s on Friday to locate the pregnancy and to our surprise...there were two!! 

Just like I'm sure everyone else felt, we are overwhelmed with joy, feeling so very blessed, but absolutely terrified.  Having already raised one baby and knowing how hard that was, we are unable to fathom how to do it with two!!  I think what I am mostly feeling is scared for right now.  I worry that something will happen to one or both of them.  I am 5w4d along and am having such horrible cramps right now, no spotting, but it really worries me.  Is the cramping normal? 

Dx with severe endometriosis. DS#1 conceived with Met and TI. TTC#2 for 2.5 yrs. Dx 2nd IF. 4 clomid cycles, 2 IUIs, Finally IVF#1 w/ICSI worked for us! twins born 35w3d. Unexpected total hysterectomy 6/11. Now on the HRT train.

Re: Cautiously sticking my toe in...

• Options
    We didn't do IVF (so I don't know if cramping is common with that) but I know my dr. said to call if I ever experienced cramping so you may just want to give them a call.
  • Options

I had such bad cramping with the twins I thought for SURE my AF was coming. I ended up testing 2 days later and I was PG... but we didn't confirm twins until 8 weeks. With Logan I didn't have any cramping... was just late with AF (he was a surprise- LOL!)

I didn't do IVF with the twins- we did use clomid though... my Dr told me that cramping was normal and that it was just the babies implanting into the uterus etc but if you would feel more comfortable calling the Dr and making sure do so! That is what you pay them for ;)

Congrats and welcome!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Congrats and welcome!

I dont have any ivf experience but my cramping was so bad in first tri I found myself doubled over quite often.  You're uterus grows at an abnormal rate so its bound to be uncomfortable

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Welcome!!  I did IVF and here I am, 32 1/2 weeks, both of my twins still kickin' and doing well.  :)  I wish you the same.

I had cramping early on, and I read all over message boards that it was normal.  I was more worried about spotting - I had none though a lot of people experience that too.  The fertility drugs/stims give you that extra bloat and I swear they increase cramping, so don't freak out.  Try to remain relaxed as much as possible - hard, I know!

Are you on progesterone in oil shots?

Good luck to you.  The overwhelmed feeling subsides as you get used to the idea of a 2-for-1, and the more you read about how to handle it.  We can do this!  :)

• Options
    Cramping and even bleeding are normal with IVF.  I bled like a period from 5w-9w and cramped most of the first trimester.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Visit our blog at www.benandkarisjourneytoparenthood.blogspot.com
  • Options

welcome and congrats!!  I'm a 1+ twin mommy myself - and love it!

as far as the cramping - how horrible?  i had cramping in my lower abdomen for the first tri with both my pregnancies - it was constant but sort of dull- like a period cramp --- if you are a lot worse than the typical period cramp i'd call your doc... and lay down on your left side and drink tons of water.  Keep us posted!

• Options
    Welcome and congrats! I would call your RE if you are concerned about the cramping. We didn't do IVFso I don't know if it is common from it.
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagejenkm:

Welcome!!  I did IVF and here I am, 32 1/2 weeks, both of my twins still kickin' and doing well.  :)  I wish you the same.

I had cramping early on, and I read all over message boards that it was normal.  I was more worried about spotting - I had none though a lot of people experience that too.  The fertility drugs/stims give you that extra bloat and I swear they increase cramping, so don't freak out.  Try to remain relaxed as much as possible - hard, I know!

Are you on progesterone in oil shots?

Good luck to you.  The overwhelmed feeling subsides as you get used to the idea of a 2-for-1, and the more you read about how to handle it.  We can do this!  :)

Thank you so much for your advice.  Yes, one 1ml a day of PIO...so fun!! 

Dx with severe endometriosis. DS#1 conceived with Met and TI. TTC#2 for 2.5 yrs. Dx 2nd IF. 4 clomid cycles, 2 IUIs, Finally IVF#1 w/ICSI worked for us! twins born 35w3d. Unexpected total hysterectomy 6/11. Now on the HRT train.

• Options

Thank you all for your kind words.  It means so much to have some support right now from people that know EXACTLY how I feel. 

As far as the cramping goes, I guess I was too vague.  The cramps are not like period cramps, where your whole uterus feels like it is contracting (I have endo so mine are particularly bad), they are more like a really low, sort-of sharp pain, that I could point to because the spot is so specific.  I have had an ultrasound already so I know they are in the right spot. I am not worried enough to call the RE at this point...but I would if they were to get worse or were accompanied by spotting.  I am just trying to stay off my feet at this point and keep a positive outlook.

Thanks again ladies.  You have been very helpful!!

• Options

Congrats and welcome!

The worry won't go away, but definitely try to put it on the backburner while you enjoy your pregnancy. 

We also succeeded through IVF. From my recollection, the cramping is normal (but really, if you are unsure, there is no harm in chatting with your OB about it). H&H 9 months!

• Options
    I had cramping even spotting in the first trimester with our IVF twins.  I think it is more common since things are so shaken up in there plus the extra hormones.  You can always call your RE if you are concerned.  Congrats and welcome :):) 
    H: 34 dx Azoospermia due to CBAVD from CF  
    ME: 39 IS FINE!!!  DOR and poor AMH/FSH/LH
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #1 Beta 1 373 Beta 2 1783 BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Born April 2010!!
    Natural FET 5/26/12 2 blasts Beta 1 207 Beta 2 513 Beta 3 1377 U/S 6/28 Pregnancy not viable d & c scheduled :( 
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #2 ER 11/15/12 Nothing to transfer :( 
    IVF/ICSI #3 April 2013 MDLF 3dt of 3 embryos, chemical :(  
    IVF #4/ICSI/MESA/CCS/FET EPP April 2015
    ODWU CCRM with Dr. Sch COMPLETE!!!! Put on acai supplement they are studying for DOR and embryo quality.
    DAY 3 Labs Drawn 2/26 put on vitamin D and calcium supplements
    Regroup and Protocol Reveal 3/04 "Bazooka Protocol" EPP with MDLF "Protocol 6 with patches"
    ER/MESA 4/10 ER 9 eggs retrieved MESA success found live swimmers :)
    Fertilization Report 6 eggs mature and ICSI'd 4 eggs fertilized normally
    Day 6 Report to Blast for CCS 4/16: 2 DAY 5 BLASTS BIOPSIED FOR CCS a 4AB and a 3AB!!!!
    CCS Results BOTH BLASTS CCS NORMAL!!!!!!  call on 4/24
    Regroup call to discuss CCS results and FET call on 5/20
    FET prep: CD 1 6/08 CD 3 Start BCP 6/10, HSG 6/12 Lupron Start 10 iu 6/17 End BCP 6/21 CD 1 6/23!!!
    Start vivelle patches 6/25 change e/o/d reduce Lupron to 5iu 6/25 Blood Draw 7/01, 7/08, 7/15, 7/19
    Increase vivelle patches 7/03 2 change e/o/d and 7/05 change e/o/d 3 and 7/07 4 change e/o/d add vaginal estrace 2x a day
    Lining Check/Blood Draw 7/08 and 7/15 End Lupron 7/18  Start PIO 1ml daily 7/18  Blood  Draw 7/19
    Flight to clinic 7/22
    FET 2 CCS BLASTS :):)  7/23 :):) YES YES both thawed and both fully expanded :):)
    7/26 :):) 3dp5dt PM very very faint positive FRER
    7/27: 4dp5dt Neg Digi AM but very very faint positive FRER PM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 1-2 :):) 
    7/31:8dp5dt AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 2-3!!!! :):) 
    Beta 1 8/01= 408!!!!!!!!!! at 9dp5dt FET
    Beta 2 8/03 = 1014!!!!!!!!!! at 11dp5dt FET
    8/05/2015 AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 3+!!!! :):) 
    First Ultrasound: 8/20!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genetics says BOTH BOYS!!!!!!!!!
    Second Ultrasound: 9/03!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    imagerobinsokj:

Congrats and welcome!

I dont have any ivf experience but my cramping was so bad in first tri I found myself doubled over quite often.  You're uterus grows at an abnormal rate so its bound to be uncomfortable

This.  Felt just like bad period cramps.  My doctor's rule was cramps w/ no blood is ok.  But check, I did.

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"