Breastfeeding
Options

when to start pumping?

When was the first time you pumped so DH could share in the feeding fun? I feel like it's too soon... would introducing a bottle this soon confuse him with breastfeeding?  Also, do any BFing mommie give one formula bottle a day?  If so when can you start with that? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: when to start pumping?

• Options

nipple confusion is a controversial topic. some swear it does not exist and give LO a bottle at day 1 while others will tell you it does and that it happened to them and interfered with BF.  I figured better safe than sorry so i waited til about 5/6 weeks to introduce a bottle.  we had established bf pretty well by then. 

as far as forumula, i don't have experience with that. BUT i believe the suggestion is also to wait your supply is established (at least 6 weeks) to introduce formula because otherwise you risk a decrease in supply. 

hope that helps

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I plan on starting to pump probably in the next 3 or 4 days. I'm going to just do one session a day...I actually don't think my supply is at it's peak until the afternoon, so I'm thinking about pumping after his lunch time feeding. I'm going to try to get a nice stash going in the freezer, and then wait another week to start giving him it in the bottle...He takes a pacifier and that hasn't seemed to have an effect on anything, so I'm hoping it's the same story with the bottle, I'm just worried he might like the bottle more than me :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't do a bottle until closer to 4 weeks - the first weeks are important for building supply so even if you don't believe in nipple confusion, you still want baby at the breast as much as possible to establish your supply.  We never did formula so I'm no help with that.
  • Options

I pumped just shy of two weeks but that was due to engorgement and my relief - not so that DH could share. LO got a bottle one feeding in the hospital when I was too sick with a spinal headache to feed him. We have been really lucky that he has never had any nipple confusion.  We use the playtex drop ins and he gets one bottle on the weekend so I can pump and go back to sleep and a bottle, if needed, when he is babysat. This started around 4 weeks. I have been told that I started pumping too early (by friends, not doctors) but I did what worked for me/us.

Good luck.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"