Cincinnati Babies
Options

My MIL vent for the day

I think I need to cut ties with my MIL!!  Okay, so I guess I'm kidding about that....but really she acts like a bratty teenager.

DH and I had plans with a bunch of our neighbors tonight.  We go out to dinner once a month and then gather at someone's house after and play games, sit by a firepit or whatever depending on the weather.  We had these plans for her to come to our house and watch Noah for a good month...so we didn't spring anything on her last minute.

We got back from dinner at 8:30, and came in the house to grab some stuff.  Noah was already in bed, so she asked if we were going to the neighbors, we said yes, and she asked when we'd be home.  DH said probably 11:30 or 12.....and she got pissed!  She said she just couldn't stay past 10...It was just too late for her to stay up!  Really?

I understand that she likes to go to bed earlier, but then why offer to babysit if you're going to tell us when we have to come home?  But if we had asked my Mom to come watch him, my MIL would have been pissed that we didn't pick her....because she's like that and gets upset if my Mom has more time with Noah than she does.

I really wish I had the guts to stand up to her, and call her out on the way she acts about all sorts of stuff, but I don't.....so I'm just venting here!

Re: My MIL vent for the day

• Options

omg, that would bug me!   Did you guys talk at all before that about possibly how late you would be out?  What ended up happening... did you come back home early for her?

She just gave you the perfect excuse to never have her babysit on your neighbor game nights!! If she complains it is your mom babysitting instead... you can just say... we know it's too late for you to stay up, and my mom doesn't mind!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yeah she knew our plans, and said it was fine when we scheduled everything with her.  But when it comes time for us to go out she always ends up complaining that she's tired, this isn't the first time that this had happened.

At 10 DH came home (we were just across the street) and let his Mom leave, then I walked over a few minutes after she was gone with our neighbors daughter who is 12 and she sat at the house for us.  But we had to do that secretly because his Mom would have been upset that we let a 12 year old stay here even though he was already asleep.  You just can't ever satisfy her.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do we have the same MIL? Jk! That is really annoying. I hope you were able to somewhat enjoy your evening!
  • Options

Sounds like it's time to stop having MIL babysit at night.  If she complains, just explain sweetly to her that you hated being an inconvenience and keeping her up late since you know she likes to go to bed early.  

ETA: my parents go to bed really early.  If they are going to watch K late (which isn't often), they keep her overnight.  Is this a solution for you all?  Then you and DH can stay out as late as you like and MIL gets to feel she is spending time with your DS. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMoesten:

ETA: my parents go to bed really early.  If they are going to watch K late (which isn't often), they keep her overnight.  Is this a solution for you all?  Then you and DH can stay out as late as you like and MIL gets to feel she is spending time with your DS. 

Yeah it is an option for him to stay there, but he didn't yesterday because he'd already been to her house twice this week while we worked.  DS is terrified of FIL so we were trying not to completely overwhelm him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"