Upstate NY Babies
Options

So the carseat thing just got really complicated.

I feel like an idiot. When we got the subarus, we never looked at the manuals and just put them in the cars like they were in our old cars (Audi and Jeep). Well apparently, for whatever reason, I guess because of the "hump" in the middle of the seat, Subaru does not recommend that carseats be installed in the middle.

It IS allowed to be installed in the middle but just not recommended in the forester, but only with the seatbelt, not the LATCH. We've had Eve's infant seat installed with the LATCH all along (since i got it in November). The Legacy is older and only has the seatbelt install... 

So I just don't know what to do..  I think we are gonna have to take both cars to do a pro. install/inspection again.. Unfortunately, my friend who did it the last time, decided not to renew his certification.. he could probably still check them for us though...My gut tells me that she is safest in the middle.. My seat is a LITTLE further up than I would like, but I can drive.. I am having extreme anxiety about the the thought of her in the passenger side.

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
imagebabies
baby growth

Re: So the carseat thing just got really complicated.

• Options

Look at it this way, I have a mini van and there is no middle seat....it has to be on the side. I think a safer install is better than having it in the middle.

If your friend can install them for you, does he really need to be certified?

• Options

imageJune4bride2be:

Look at it this way, I have a mini van and there is no middle seat....it has to be on the side. I think a safer install is better than having it in the middle.

If your friend can install them for you, does he really need to be certified?

Sandi.. you are right.. which is funny because this whole time i was thinking that a minivan would be my solution to this problem. :) My mom has a minivan and it is so easy to get the baby in and out of and i love that it doesn't go right up to the driver seat.

Anyway, DH put the carseat in with the seatbelt in my car just now. It DOES. NOT. BUDGE. so I am going to leave it as is for the moment.  I may ask my friend for his opinion on it the next time I see him.

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

While I know some people may not understand my reasoning, G has always been behind the passenger seat, not the middle.  One of the main reasons is because of our dog.  She's 75 lbs and takes up most of the backseat.  She goes a lot of places with us - from when we travel, to a day spent with friends for cookouts, to just running errands when the weather is nice.  If G was in the middle, she wouldn't fit.  As soon as we have baby #2, we have to get a minivan, just so we have enough room for our first baby, the spoiled lab.  :) 

I think Sandi is right, though.  A well-installed seat is what matters. 

• Options

don't worry about the middle thing... if it is not recommended by the car, then it's probably for good reason. people w/ 2 LO have to have them behind the pass/driver seats. the other girls are right, a well installed seat is best.

• Options
    If it doesn't budge I think you're fine. I'm scared of the "what ifs" no matter where the carseat is installed, it's a scary thought. I'm sure Eve is nice and safe.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    C has been behind the passenger seat since day 1. We could never get a good install in the middle in the Passat. I agree that a well installed seat is more important than location. We would have had to move him to the side this spring anyways once the new baby comes. There must be a reason Suburu says to not use the middle, maybe call the dealership to make sure that is still their recommendation.
    Photobucket
    Charlie 11.01.07 ~ Paul 05.07.10 ~ Annaliese 02.24.12
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about installing with a seatbelt or installing on the passenger side.  Installing with a seatbelt isn't more dangerous than installing with LATCH.  LATCH is easier to use, and therefore you're more likely to install a carseat correctly, but if a carseat is installed properly with a seatbelt it's just as safe.

We have a Mazda 5, and the second row is two captain's chairs, so Rosie rides on the passenger side.  I don't have a choice in the matter!

• Options
    I have a Civic, and there's a hump in the middle seat. At first I was leary about having Ian's infant seat on the passenger side, but that's what the manual said, so I went with it. I took it to a state trooper who is certified, and he said that middle is best, and that you can put the seat in the middle, but have to use the belt so that you have a better chance of getting it in tight. He set it up for me. We use the seatbelt for Ian's convertible seat in the middle (Britax). When done right, it will hold tight.
  • Options

I'm like 90% positive that statistics say that a side impact crash is more likely to occur on the passenger side of the vehicle. I think they think that a driver will instictively protect his side(??) For this reason, and because I ride in back with both the kids...we have Evan behind the driver and Leah in the middle. (It is tight back there!)

But I agree that it is better to do the side safely than the middle a little less safe. And if you have to choose - put them behind the driver (and rear facing as long as you can! We want to keep them rear facing for a few years)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"