Baby Names

annoying cutesy names

not to offend anyone does anyone else find those super cutesy,over used names kinda annoying? like gracie,kaylee,makayla,mackenzie..etc. not that i think these names arent nice but now they are so overused that they are cutesy in an annoying way-you know what i mean?any names that are like that to you? oh-and lets not forget Chloe and the ever popular kylie!

Re: annoying cutesy names

• YES! Names like Kinsley, Kylie, etc. make me cringe.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not a fan of cutesy names for girls because one day she will be an adult and if she is a professional, I think it would be harder to get respect. I know that shouldn't be the case, but in the real world, it is. For that reason, I am a big fan of formal names with cutesy nicknames. Because formal names sound weird on little girls and cutesy nicknames are just so well, cute.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Not really a cutesy name IMO but I'm starting to really love the name Danica. I'm worried if I ever have a daughter and name her Danica will she hate it? lol I like it because it's not an average name but that might be the exact reason she may hate it! 

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• I dont think they are that bad. But everyone has their own likes/ dislikes. But it isnt gonna kill someone to be named Kylie. I dont see how it is THAT much different than Mary or Jennifer, or Ashley, or Courtney... Just because it's the "it" name of the year doesnt make it HORRIBLE. In fact, I know many more Mary's and Jennifer's than I know Kylie's.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • While I wouldn't use them, I don't think they are horrible. DH's cousin has a little girl named Kaylee. I do agree that it won't age well, but it's still a cute name IMO. I like Hayley too and know a lot my age (mid 20s). 
  • I'm not a fan, and would never name a child any of those, but there is much, much worse out there
  • edit....

• I don't think they are bad.
    BFP #1 4/2/09 EDD 12/6/09 -MC 4/12/09 BFP #2 6/2/09 EDD 2/14/10 -Ectopic in Tube, Surgery 6/23/09 BFP #3 10/15/09 EDD 6/27/10 -Daniel John 6/21/10 BFP #4 Oct 2010 Chemical Pregnancy BFP #5 8/19/11 Beta #1 82.8 Prog 17.25
  • I agree. A name has to be able to "grow up" well for me to even consider it. This is why we named DD Sophia even though we prefer to call her Sophie. I'd like her to have the option to be called Sophia when she's older if she prefers a more "grown up" name.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

•  My friend's DH wanted the name Kylie and everyone told her that it was child like.  However I don't think they are all that bad.  I'm personally getting sick of seeing Addison, Sophia/Sophie, Olivia, Isabella, Ava etc.... 

• I think Chloe is in a different category than the others you mentioned...it sounds like it isn't trying to be cute if that makes sense.  But the others are not my style.  My DH loves the cutesy girl names...I guess cuz he's all about having a "daddy's little girl"

What about the boy cutesy name Riley? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • imagemelissa721:
    Not really a cutesy name IMO but I'm starting to really love the name Danica. I'm worried if I ever have a daughter and name her Danica will she hate it? lol I like it because it's not an average name but that might be the exact reason she may hate it! 

My sister is Danica, and she loves her name!  Some people tried calling her Dani, but it never stuck.  She did call herself Danka for awhile though, because she couldn't pronounce the whole thing!  I say go for it - it's a great name!

I don't know what's up with my siggy and I am too lazy to figure it out.
  • To each their own. Every generation is full of cutesy names and many people go on to lead professional lives with those names. 
  • yea there is definitely much worse names out there,and like i said i dont by any means think those names are bad, in fact they are cute. but, any over used name i really start to dislike after a while. its just with names that are too cute that they dont age well and every new baby gets that name its like "what?". but of course i dont think they would really affect the kid badly at all in professional life later on,mainly because they are anglo-saxon names.
  • imageCanonMom:

edit....

please dont get offended because i know your daughters name is kylie. I think its still a cute name i was just expressing the fact that they are really nice names that become somewhat annoying because there are sooo many and it begins to sound cutesy after a while. but nonetheless kylie is a very cute name okay!

• imageCutieBean79:

What about the boy cutesy name Riley? 

Are you serious?! I don't see how this falls into any cutesy category at all. It is a traditional male Irish name, and just because lots of people have decided to use it for their little girls now doesn't make it cutesy. Here it shows that Riley was popular as a boy name dating back to 1880.

To the OP, I don't agree. I mean there are definitely some names/nicknames that may fall into a "cutesy" category, but I don't think Chloe or Kylie (that have been mentioned in this thread) fall into that category. I can definitely see a doctor or lawyer named Chloe or Kylie.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • imagelove4existence:
    imageCanonMom:

edit....

please dont get offended because i know your daughters name is kylie. I think its still a cute name i was just expressing the fact that they are really nice names that become somewhat annoying because there are sooo many and it begins to sound cutesy after a while. but nonetheless kylie is a very cute name okay!

Oh Im not offended. I wrote a long post of why and how we chose her name, and that when we chose it( 3 years ago) , it was in the 200's on the SS list for the previous year. We havnt met many other almost 3 year old girls name Kylie. But have come across tons of Kayleigh's or variations. But no KYLIEs. I just didnt want to start a debate. Oh and we tend to call her Ky more often than Kylie. So I can guarentee she will either be the only Kylie or if anything 1 of 2 Kylies in her class, meanwhile have 10 sophias etc. To each their own. But as for the Cute factor. I personally know a successful business woman whose name is Kylie, and no where in her career has her name affected anything! with that said, im not offended just curious as to why "cutesy" names are any worse than names that you hear 100 times a day?

• I don't think that so-called "cutesy" names are worse than the seemingly 100s of "WDYT of Addison?" posts that we get on here every week.  Ugh.  Enough already.

And for the record, I went to college with a Kylie who is beautiful and successful and I never thought her name was too cutesy.

• imageMrsEricH:

I don't think that so-called "cutesy" names are worse than the seemingly 100s of "WDYT of Addison?" posts that we get on here every week.  Ugh.  Enough already.

And for the record, I went to college with a Kylie who is beautiful and successful and I never thought her name was too cutesy.

Eww. Well, Addison sucks just as much as Kylie.  

• Names like Chelsey, Tiffany, Brittany... that's all I can think of right now but these are way too little girl cutsie for me.  Could you imagine being some high profile exec with the name Tiffany?!?  How could any take you seriously?  Just my opinion.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • cutesy names in general are nms but i can still appreciate the good ones.

names like makayla, mckenna, mackenzie, etc. drive me crazy because they apparently have now become the standard choice for teen moms. i refuse to hold my tongue when someone throws one of those around as a possible name for an actual child.

i also dislike nicknames as formal names like maggie and katie as opposed to margaret/ katherine or whatever. they make me think that the parents didn't put enough thought and research into the name.

• bleh. i know exactly what you mean. for me its names like those and also leila/lyla/lila etc., spanish names like marisela, graciela, isabella is starting to get on my nerves too...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"