2nd Trimester
Options

14 weeks and just lost my job today!

AngryI'm 14 weeks pregnant and started a new job about 3 months ago.  The company is small and provides mental health services funded by medicaid.  Well I had been asked several times to commit medicaid fraud and obviously refused everytime.  I finally took my concerns to the owner and worked with the owner for several weeks to correct these concerns.  We work in teams of 3 for each case.  Today the Team Leaders went to the owner and said they would not work with me because they felt I was constantly evaluating and investigating them.  It is a way longer story than that, but that is it in a nut shell.  Well the owner called me in and said she felt stuck b/c she had no team to put me on and no other positions in the company (they only provide this one service).  So basically because everyone else is unethical and I refuse to bend on my ethics... I was let go.  I'm beyond pissed. I have NEVER EVER been fired, let go, or even cited in any position.  My husband is freaking out, which doesn't help at all.   So now I am pregnant and unemployed....what a great way to start the weekend.  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 14 weeks and just lost my job today!

• Options
    OMG that sucks! *hug* did they know you were pregnant??
  • Options
    Unemployment baby!  Sit back relax and let those checks get automatically deposited;)  This def sounds like a blessing in disguise!

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Holy crap.  Is there some way you can report them to Medicaid??
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    sounds like you should report the company!! i'm sorry though, it still sucks
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am so very sorry for you, hang in there.  {{hugs}}
  • Options

Sounds like a job for the EEOC.

If you have all the instances of fraud requests in writing and any other communication about these complaints against you, bring them.

For serious.

This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Ummm, this all sounds highly illegal.  You might want to find someone to talk too about it.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    Well I say good for you.  Something better is bound to come along.  In the meantime try not to stress.  And make sure your husband knows that you need him to be positive right now.
  • Options

imageAloe0l:

This!!!??? That owner obviously doesn't know what she is doing. She is going to end up in a huge deal of trouble. Medicaid is government related and if she is ignoring the fact that people are cheating the system and medicaid finds out, she is going to be in a great deal of hurt. I would call up medicaid and talk to them about this. There has got to be a phone number you can call. =( sorry this happened by the way. I would definitely apply for unemployment and sit back and relax. Stress isn't good for pregnancy. Good luck!

• Options

First of all, I'm sorry this happened. Added stress is not what any pregnant lady needs.

Secondly, take this new abundance of time you have to talk to somebody and find out the appropriate way to report this company. This is wrong on so many levels- and from what you've written, you should most definitely have a legal leg to stand on here.

• Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that. How terrible. Make sure to file for unemployment right away! It'll be okay.
  • Options

You usually never go wrong when you go with your gut, and your gut said to stick to your guns and not lie and cheat. 

It sucks this happened, but you'll make it work, and this could be the catalyst that pushes you into an even better job. You got rid of that job to make room for something better. 

• Options

That sucks but you did the right thing. It's horrible what some employers expect you to do. Don't let it get to you. There is something better out there.

If you uncomfortable about interviewing while pregnant try a temp agency. I have had great success with mine. I can put you in touch if you like?

• Options
    The good news is you won't go home feeling dirty everyday. Things will get better and you'll find a job where you feel appreciated and respected. I'm sorry this happened. GL!
  • Options
    MY husbdan was working for a private Ambulance company who was doing something similar and got "Laid Off" becasue he started asking questions, he blew the whistle on them and they are now under new management.  Just an FYI, I would report them, becasue of your involvement and working there if the Sh!t hits the fan your name could come up as a former employee and you do not want to be involved
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

• Options
    I am so sorry, hon, that REALLY sucks. At least you did what was right! I'm sure at some point that company will fall under fire for committing fraud and thank goodness you won't be there!!! Talk about hard to get a job after that. GL on your job hunt!
  • Options
    imagekayteatrudeau:

That sucks but you did the right thing. It's horrible what some employers expect you to do. Don't let it get to you. There is something better out there.

If you uncomfortable about interviewing while pregnant try a temp agency. I have had great success with mine. I can put you in touch if you like?

Would you mind PMing me the info if they have a location in Houston? TIA!

• Options
    Im very sorry this happened. But you should apply for unemployment benefits in the mean time. The last extension ends on 02/28 so if you apply now you should be able to get almost a year on unemployment (if necessary) Hope everything works out!!
  • Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I'm 6 mos pregnant and lost my job last week. I was the carrier of our insurance and everything.  I'm so sorry you have to go through this too.
  • Options

imageDonniesgrrl:
    MY husbdan was working for a private Ambulance company who was doing something similar and got "Laid Off" becasue he started asking questions, he blew the whistle on them and they are now under new management.  Just an FYI, I would report them, becasue of your involvement and working there if the Sh!t hits the fan your name could come up as a former employee and you do not want to be involved

This.  I would totally report them. 

• Options

Report them.

File for unemployment.

Get a lawyer and sue the crap out of them.

• Options
    I would totally report them to Medicaid and let them know that you were fired because you would NOT commit insurance fraud.. That is a big deal and legally they can't fire you for that. 
  • Options
    Ugh, that blows goats.  I'm glad you wouldn't bend on your principles though, I'm sure you'd feel much worse if you had.  So, even though it sucks right now, you did the right thing.  And something else will come along!
  • Options
    That is really awful, I am sorry this is happening to you.  I think it is really important to report this company to Medicaid or whatever agency you can as soon as possible though.  I know in the state of Colorado, if you are fired you are not eligible for unemployment unless you can prove that it wasn't your fault.  Just make sure you get your ducks in a row so they can't come back and say it was because of something else.  Good luck to you!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Agree with everyone else.  You should report them.  Good luck with everything! 

• Options

imageAloe0l:

This. If it's clear that they are committing fraud and abusing the system, I'm sure Medicaid would be more than happy to investigate themselves. They'll probably wish that they didn't accuse YOU of "investigating".

My job was supposed to be waiting for me after a time of leave, but when I was supposed to take my job back, the small law firm I worked for couldn't afford to hire me back. I was 7 weeks pregnant. I had several interviews with different companies, some more than one interview, and nothing came about. All opportunities were either cancelled or I didn't get the job. I'm now 7 months pregnant, still unemployed. I hope it doesn't happen this way for you, but my suggestions is to begin aggressively looking and applying right away. 

• Options
    You have already been given lots of good advice so I just wanted to say good luck with finding a new job!
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options

imagemicaelasmakeup:
    Unemployment baby!  Sit back relax and let those checks get automatically deposited;)  This def sounds like a blessing in disguise!

this is me right now Embarrassed i lost my job the week i got my BFP. after the unemployment runs out im going to be a SAHM.

ETA: if you live in an "At Will" state you are out of luck. they can fire you for any reason they want. i tried to go after my boss back in Nov and got no where.

• Options

Report them. If they are committing fraud, then it is also your responsibility to report them to the state.

• Options
    I PMed you.  I work for Medicaid and think I can help you.
  • Options

imagemicaelasmakeup:

As far as I know you have to be at your job for 6+ months in order to get unemployment checks. Her being there for 3months wouldn't get her anything unless things are different where she lives. A friend of mine tried to do the same after being at his job for 3months and he got denied, said 6+ months only.

Hopefully you're lucky though!

• Options
    That stinks. Same exact thing but different field happened to me at 18 weeks. Speak to an Atty you might be able to sue
  • Options
    I PMed you.  I work for Medicaid and think I might be able to help..
  • Options
    I lost my job right when I found out I was expecting and thought all was over but collecting unemployment was great. It gave me time to be home and deal with first tri sickness. I just started a new job last week and DH and to force me to take it because I was having so much fun at home. Enjoy the time off :) 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageAmanda Hewson:
    I would totally report them to Medicaid and let them know that you were fired because you would NOT commit insurance fraud.. That is a big deal and legally they can't fire you for that. 

This. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Check on unemployment, see if you are eligible.  If not, maybe you could temp for a few months.  

I work as a legal assistant and this doesn't sound legit, even if you were employed at will.  See if you can find an attorney who will give you a free consult (or very low fee)--he or she will be familiar with the laws where you are at and can give you some idea of whether or not you have a case.

And definitely report them--otherwise, they will just keep doing it.

Good luck with everything, I cannot imagine having to go through this, especially while pregnant.  

• Options

So sorry to hear about this! Thoughts and prayers are with you! As much as it sucks, you did the right thing and hopefully something good will happen in return. Good luck!

• Options

Thank you so much everyone for your posts!  Sorry I'm just replying now.  I pretty much came home last night and had a pity party for myself.  I don't qualify for unemployment because of the short time I was there ; (

I have already started putting out resumes.  Unfortunately my state is going through mental health reforms right now and there is not a lot out there in my field.  The temp idea is great!  I'm going to look into that today.  I'm in Raleigh NC if anyone knows of anything.  I also use to do some tutoring so I posted an ad for that on craigslist.  My husband I think is having a much harder time than me in dealing with all this.  I keep hoping his rational side will kick in soon.

I feel so torn reporting them to medicaid.  A previous employee reported them to the Local Mental Board and the board just called and told the owner "so and so just reported you, wanted to give you a heads up".  She then called all her contacts in the area and had the employee black listed.  I'm not sure if I should wait until I secure another position before reporting.  I definetly plan on reporting them though!  

Thanks again ladies for all the support and encouragement!  It is exactly what I needed this morning!  I'm going to take a stress free day and hang out in my pjs and eat ice cream all day ; )  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"