Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Please help with a question about m/c

Hello, I usually frequent the adoption board, and have never lurked or posted here, but I am hoping for some guidance...

My friend is currently 6 weeks pregnant today, she woke up with some spotting this AM and her Dr said to come and get a blood draw. ?She just called me crying and said her Dr put her on 100mg of?progesterone?once a day and told her to come back monday for another draw. ?Her HCG levels were 13,600 (which he said was good) and I cannot remember what she her progesterone levels were (I'm thinking 13 but that may not make any sense and I could fooling myself that she said that). ?

She said he seemed positive and upbeat, but she is really nervous. ?I am wondering if these numbers mean anything to anyone here and what I can do to make her feel better. ?I do not want to say everything is okay when I know absolutely nothing about this. ?

Can anyone please enlighten me?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please help with a question about m/c

• Options
    Its hard to say so far. Her HCG level does sound good. She will get some answers when she gets the results from the next blood test. That will tell her if her numbers are doubling or not. If they are decreasing then she most likely is miscarrying. Chances are everything is okay. I hope the best for her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When I started spotting, my mw told me that the majority of the time, spotting does not = impending miscarriage. Unfortunately, I was of the minority. That being said, those numbers to look good, and as the pp said, the important thing about Hcg numbers are that they are rising. I know it is nervewracking to have to just wait and see, but hopefully she'll get some peace of mind soon with another beta draw. Best of luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry - I think its going to be a very long weekend for your friend. There are plenty of pregnant women have spotting and no problems, however.  I think 1st trim progesterone levels are between 10 and 40 so hers are lowish but viable and the HCG will really only be relevant after the next draw - it needs to go up for the pregnancy to be progressing.

There's not much anyone can do but you could offer to watch movies with her or hang out and keep her mind off it as much as possible.

• Options
    My OB told me progesterone over 10 is a good thing - 13 is kind of low, but if they do the supplements then that might help and work itself out. HCG seems pretty good!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    Thank you all so much for your thoughtful answers. ?I was aware of the HCG doubling in 48 hours so I knew the wait was on anyway. ?The progesterone was really throwing me for a loop. ?It is very helpful to hear that the 1st tri levels are between 10 and 40. ?Thank you again for all of your help!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry your friend is going though this.  At 4w3d my HCG was 1895 but my progesterone was only at 13, that was while taking progesterone supplements 3xday.  I m/c on 4w5d. For me, it wasn't enough to keep the pregnancy going, but for others it's enough.  It just depends on what your body needs.  Do you know if they put her on pills, suppositories or injections?  Send her all my t&p!!!!
  • Options

When I started to have my miscarriage at 8 1/2 weeks my HCG level was 1600 - far too low. Your friend's sounds like its in the correct range. I have no idea about progesterone - sorry. 

I can also say that what started as spotting for me within 24 hours had turned into bleeding with clots. I would hazard a guess that if she remains just spotting that is a good sign? 

The ER doc I saw first said "only 50% of bleeding during pregnancy ends in miscarriage" which I found to be less than helpful (I'm not a glass half full type!)

I have heard that spotting is fairly common so hopefully everything is okay. I hope everything turns out well for your friend. 

Married - 09/26/2009 BFP #1 - 01/17/2010 EDD - 09/10/2010 M/C - 02/03/2010 at 8 w 5 d D&C - 02/13/2010 at 10 w 1 d BFP #2 - 07/14/2010 EDD - 03/27/2011 Luke stillborn - 11/11/2010 at 20 w 4 d BFP #3 - 03/16/2011 EDD - 11/27/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"