Birth Stories
Options

Super-long, med-free birth story (PsIP)

I went into a lot of detail and my birth story ended up being longer than I expected. I wanted to write as much as I could so I could keep this memory for LO's baby book. Kudos if you read it all! 

On February 16th my internal system was in major overdrive, meaning I was on the toilet for hours. I had been constipated my whole pregnancy and that day it seemed like I let go 9 months worth of crap, literally. I never really thought too much about it because my contractions were still irregular and not that painful, like the ones I had been having for a couple weeks. At this point I knew I was 3cm and almost fully effaced with a bulging bag of water. I knew it could be any day that I went into labor or I could still be waiting around for another week or two.  So I never obsessed over every little detail of when I would go into labor.
    That night, after a day spent on the toilet, I decided to head to bed early. My contractions got a little stronger, but still irregular. I was able to fall fast asleep and at 5:30am I shot up with energy I never knew could exist in my body. I am in no way a morning person; I am a grumpy, miserable person. However, that morning was different. I got right up turned on ESPN Mike and Mike in the Morning, had some breakfast, and made Doug?s lunch. On Mike and Mike they were talking about how February 17th was a great day for birthdays as it was Michael Jordan?s and Jim Brown?s. I was joking around with Doug saying how cool it would be if I went into labor and the little guy shared a birthday with the greats.
    Around 7:30am I decided to do the dishes. As I was standing there rinsing a plate off I felt this tiny gush. I looked at Doug and said that either my water is leaking or I just peed myself. I decided I just peed myself and continued to rinse the plate off before heading into the bathroom. Well, another little gush came so I sprinted to the bathroom. It was clear fluid and didn?t smell like urine. I knew it was my water. I told Doug to head off to work and that I would call him after my scheduled 39 week appointment that day. I packed the car with all of our hospital stuff, just in case.
    I got to my appointment and checked in around 10:30am. One of the OB?s came in to see me. I told her that I thought my water was leaking, but she seemed really skeptical of my story.  She did a little test swab and right then is when the Hoover dam opened and fluid came rushing out all over the OB, table, and floor. As soon as that happened I got cleaned up and they put me on a monitor for a non-stress test. I quickly called Doug and told him that he needs to head over to the office. I was hooked up to the monitor for over an hour while they tried to get the little guy to move. It was his sleepy time so I knew it would take awhile. The nurse gave me lots of chocolate kisses and water to get him up and moving. During this time I was having contractions that were a steady 5 minutes apart. I barely felt them! We were able to leave around 12pm. Our place is an hour drive away from the hospital so the OB recommended staying in town. I had our dog with us and there really was no place I wanted to go other than home.
    We arrived home around 1pm. There we cleaned, had lunch, listened to music, danced around, played with the dog, and went for a walk. My contractions did not pick up or get stronger. Around 4:30pm we decided we would head back up and walk around the mall for a while. I was kind of disappointed my contractions were not getting stronger or closer together. If nothing changed by 6pm we would have to head to the hospital to start pitocin, per doctors orders. I knew in my head this was going to happen. At the mall, I talked to the on-call OB at the hospital. She recommended that we sit down, relax, and eat dinner before coming in to start pitocin.
    We arrived at the hospital just after 6pm. The nurses said they had been waiting for me all day and that they reserved the room with the big birthing tub. Once settled in and hooked up they started the pitocin drip around 7pm. About a half an hour later they turned it up to 2. Then, I felt the contractions get a lot stronger, especially in my back. I got up and sat on the birthing ball for a while. During this time my mom and the nurse were watching American Idol in the background, oh how I envied them at this point. Our room had a huge window over looking the city so I was able to rock back and forth while focusing on the city lights. Doug was sitting behind me rubbing my back every time I had a contraction. I had no recollection of time at this point. My contractions started to get really strong where I was unable to talk through them and I was shaking uncontrollably. I was also having awful back labor. At this point my pitocin had been turned up to 3 and that is where it stayed. I kept feeling like I needed to pee, but when I tried nothing ever came out. After spending hours on the birthing ball, I had the nurses get the tub ready. Before I got in I had the OB check me. I was 5cm. I was still shaking uncontrollably, even after a contraction stopped. I thought it was because I was cold, but once I was in the tub I was still shaking. I stayed in the tub for about 45 minutes. Being hooked up to monitors and an IV I was unable to get comfortable and the little guy?s heart rate kept dropping into the 80?s. When I got out the nurses and the OB had me get into the bed on my hands and knees to get the baby into a better position. It was the worst position to be in. I was in so much pain at this point. The nurse kept saying that this was the best position to be in to turn the baby. So I stuck it out for about 5 more contractions, breathing and focusing on one spot on the wall while Doug rubbed my back. It really helped to sway my hips back of forth while stretching my back muscles out. At this point my contractions were only a minute apart. I got back on the ball for a couple minutes and swirled my hips, stretching my back out while leaning on Doug. I could no longer take it anymore. I had to stand up and lean against something. My contractions seemed to be right on top of each other. I kept feeling tons of pressure in my butt. The pain was so incredibly intense in my back and I was feeling exhausted. I just wanted to lie down and relax. I wanted the shaking to stop immediately. I started to doubt myself. Since I was feeling intense pressure the OB decided to check me. She wanted me to lay on the bed, but no way was I laying down. I told her she was going to check me while I was standing. I was 8cm. I was disappointed. I wanted to be at 10cm in the worst way. I could not take the back pain anymore. I had to keep telling myself that I am almost there and to let my body do the work.
    After being checked I could no longer sit on the ball. I leaned over the bedside table. Doug had to hold it with his feet to keep it from moving. He had one hand rubbing my back and the other I was squeezing with all my might. I continued to sway my hips, breath slowly and deeply, and focus on one point on the wall. I asked the OB how much longer she thought I had. She did not want to answer, but told me I was 4/5th of the way done. I begged for an epidural. I thought I still had an eternity left. The OB said it was on the way, but I knew it wasn?t because everyone knew I wanted to go pain-med free. I just had to stick it out a little longer. My body was completely exhausted and drained from any energy. About 10 minutes after I asked for an epidural I yelled, ?I?m pushing! I need to push!? The nurses and OB rushed over to help me into bed. Sure enough I was 10cm and the fun began.
    I could not lie flat on my back. I was on my side. My mom and Doug were on one side. Doug holding my leg back and my mom holding my foot in the air. One of the nurses was on my other side keeping my leg snug close to my body. I pushed with all my might and they could see his head. He was at an awkward angle so there was no relief at all during this whole process. He just did not want to turn. I kept pushing for 20 plus seconds at a time. The little guy?s heart rate kept dropping and staying in the 50?s. So we needed to get him out. I kept pushing, but he was not budging. The OB did an episiotomy. He was still not coming out. So the OB got the vacuum and told me she was going to help guide him out. I said ok and thought in my head that his head was already somewhat out, but no she dug that vacuum up there like she was digging for gold. Ouch. That was the only point I screamed. So I pushed two more times and the OB tugged hard. Finally, only after 25 minutes of pushing (felt like an eternity though), at 12:47am Myles Rodney Dailey was born! Phew. He weighed 6lbs 13oz and 19.5 in long.
    The first words out of my mouth, ?I?m adopting the rest of my children, that was the worst pain ever.? Then, I realized I hadn?t heard any crying. He needed an oxygen mask and for his lungs to be cleared. Only after a few minutes I finally heard him.
    I ended up with lots of stitching after the episiotomy and a tear. I had some nice pelvic muscle damage and bruising. I was a hurting unit, still am. I can honestly say that when I first held him I could not feel an instant bond. I was so focused on my pain and exhaustion that I could not think straight. Once down stairs all I could think about all night was that dreadful vacuum entering a place it should never enter again. I was able to finally bond and spend time with my little guy once the nurses left Doug and I alone. I felt awful for a couple days after because I did not instantly coo over him. I love my son with all my heart and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat... maybe ;)
    Through my whole laboring process I could not have gone med-free if it wasn?t for Doug... and the birthing ball. Doug was beyond amazing, He encouraged me, told me to breathe when I needed it, rubbed my back endlessly for hours, and let me fall into any position I wanted to and he made sure I was comfortable.

39 Weeks exactly

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Super-long, med-free birth story (PsIP)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"