Working Moms
Options

XP: 18 mo- sudden mealtime issues

DS is being slowly transitioned into the toddler room at daycare , but it's been a challenging couple of weeks. He's been playing happily in that room for a couple of hours every day, but since his nap is on the early side,he's still napping in the infant room. He gets up at 5am, so he's ready for a nap at 10-11 while the group naps at 12:30.

All of a sudden he refuses to feed himself. He throws all food on the floor and just sits in his highchair and cries. He's always been a great eater, but now he absolutely will not eat unless someone feeds him. It doesn't matter if it's broccoli or pizza or cookies, he won't touch his food. He refuses to hold a spoon or fork. Mealtimes have become very difficult at home, but since he's our only child, we can get through a meal even if it takes an hour. I can't realistically expect his teachers to sit with him for an hour to get him to eat half a cheese sandwich and some fruit and he hasn't really eaten his breakfast or lunch all week. He'll eat some dry cheerios and has no problem with that as long as he isn't in the highchair, but all meals and snacks are served in the dining area in highchairs or tables at daycare and food is not permitted in the classrooms.

We hit rock bottom last night. He literally did not eat a thing all day and would only eat on my lap with me putting pieces of food directly in his mouth. He definitely was hungry and ate everything I gave him. I tried putting food in his hand and he threw it on the floor. I think he might be protesting the move up to the toddler room.

Daycare has 4 new infants now and I think he sees them being held and fed all day and wants that again or doesn't want to leave the infant room. Is that crazy? A regression of sorts? He can't go without eating, but I can't spoon feed him at 18 months. I'm trying all of his absolute favorite foods and some new things, but that's not working either.

Any advice?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"