Austin Babies
Options

open toe sandals for toddlers

Do you put open toe sandals on toddlers?  I never did with Jakob.  But yesterday at Target it seemed all the summer shoes were open toe. 

Where do you get your summer shoes?  Do you put them in flip flops?  I can't figure out how a toddler can run in flip flops, and I always cringe when I see little kids wearing them.  I always thought they weren't supportive enough, but I guess all these kids are wearing them and are fine?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: open toe sandals for toddlers

• Options

In no particular order, things ER nurses and doctor hate:

Trampolines. Coffee Tables. Flip Flops.

We see so many injuries from these things! And the flips injuries extend to adults too. I never got the follow up but they were thinking they'd have to amputate the big toe of an 8 year old last year from something that happend at Lake Travis. Could have been prevented if he'd been wearing shoes and he should have been for what he was doing =(

I prefer closed toe well fitting sandals but open toe can work too depending on the kid. Don't go a size up, make sure they fit. Even if that means you'll need to get a second pair mid summer. If you find ones you love, go ahead and get the next size up too because you know when you go looking in June they'll have the damn snow boots out...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Oh that poor kid!  I take the kids to Belton Lake a lot in the summer and I definitely will be getting them some water shoes.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS had flip flops last summer (he was almost 2) and did just fine but I did make sure they fit very well and had a strap across the back for extra support.  I don't think I will put DD in flip flops this summer since she will  just be learning to walk. 
  • Options

I didn't think a strap across the back = flip flops?

I don't think little dude will be wearing flip flops anytime soon. we'll get some sandals that are easy on/off for getting to the pool etc, and he'll have play sandals that are more supportive for running around.

I have terrible feet from never ever ever wearing shoes as a kid. I hope to avoid terrible feet in my guy. 

I usually stick with see kai runs, and up until now, he hasn't been growing like crazy so one pair lasted all of the summer, but in the warm fall I did need to get a second pair b/c his feet got a little bigger.

• Options
    We do Saltwater Sandals, the ones with the thicker poly sole. Those things are awesome, and they last forever. Nice thick supportive soles, adjustable leather straps.
  • Options
    Just because all the kids are wearing them doesn't make them fine.  I think flip-flops and Crocs are dangerous foot wear for little kid.
  • Options
    See Kai Run and Saltwater Sandals...can you find those in stores or order online?  If you order them, then how do you make sure to get the right size? 
  • Options

Sandy's sells both, but I know you're not here in Austin.

Saltwater Sandals website has a store locater here: https://www.saltwater-sandals.com/dealers.htm

They have tons of different styles, and they seriously hold up well. I used to wear them growing up and we actually did wear them in the ocean (well, Puget Sound. It's still ocean water.) almost every day in the summer and they lasted longer than they fit. I should specify that none of them are flip-flops. ;)

Saltwater Surfer is what DD has right now, from last summer (slow growing feet, seriously). Looking at the website, the urethane sole is the thicker more supportive one and the littleway stitched sole is their thinner, slicker, but more flexible sole.

• Options
    Open toed sandals - yes, DD wore them all last summer. Flip flops - no.  Even w/ the strap on the back, it just seems like they don't stay on well to me.  The sandals she wore had an adjustable strap across the toe and ankle so they weren't loose.  I can't get that w/ flip flops and DD has pretty skinny feet.
  • Options
    We let DD wear open toe sandals last year and the year before and we will again this year.  We love the kind at Target that have 2 straps. But when we go to the lake or pool she wears closed toe water shoes (we got ours last year from the Childrens Place and they were great).  We also let her wear those "flip flops" with the strap on back, but only around the house, they are hard to walk in.
  • Options

Open-toed sandals - yes.  Flip flops - no.

DD wore a pair of Circo open-toed sandals from Target all summer last year.  And I have already bought 2 pairs from there to wear this year.  I think they were just fine but if I knew she was going to be doing a lot of playing/running, I'd put her in tennis shoes.

Flip flops aren't even good for adult feet, yet I do wear them myself.  Tongue Tied  But I refuse to put them on my child's still-developing feet/body.  Even with the strap on the back, I don't think they are a healthy choice for kids' footwear.  Maybe when she's 10 I'll let her have a pair of flip flops!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

In case you want more info on why flip flops aren't good for anyone, much less kids, to be wearing, here are 2 articles:

https://www.forbes.com/2006/05/03/flipflop-foot-problems_cx_sy_0504htow.html

https://www.xomba.com/health_risks_wearing_flip_flops

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    We don't do flip flops or crocs.  But yes, my LO's have had open-toed sandals.  It depends on what we're doing that day, what they get to wear on their feet, so they also have regular tennis shoes.  We have water shoes for the lake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"