High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Not to be ignorant - GD

I have had GD for about a month now and I am following my diet (no meds/insulin for me) but I guess I am still confused about GD.  I know what it is but I am still not clear on what it actually does that is highly dangerous.  All I get told is that your baby could be too large and if you have a vaginal birth the shoulders have a chance of getting stuck (due to the baby's weight).  I realize these are very serious issues and I am really hoping not to have to deal with that but is that what the risks are or are there more that I am missing?  I try to mostly follow my diet but every other night if I cheat, am I really going to harm my baby (as long as he is not measuring too large?)?  I see on this board women (with GD) talking about wanting to give into their cravings and I wonder "why not?"  Not saying to go on a carb binge but is having pancakes one day seriously going to injure you or your baby?  Again I'm not trying to be ignorant...I guess I want to know what I am missing and get some more information.  Thanks! :)

Re: Not to be ignorant - GD

• Options

Not ignorant at all! We all learn with it.

You also could put your baby at risk for jaundice or even low blood sugar at birth that would require them to be on an IV.

Worse, for me, was that they run a high risk of developing Type 2 diabetes later in life. That kept me on the straight and narrow.

And I controlled it with diet and exercise, and my baby was not jaundiced, her blood sugar was perfect and she was 6.56 lbs!

• Options

Ditto PP, plus a few other things my doctor told me is that the placenta is at greater risk of breaking down prior to birth and the amniotic fluid levels could drop (due to dehydration associated with GD), both of which would put the baby in distress. 

That being said, I think "cheating" in moderation is the only way to get through this with a shred of sanity.  One day of bad numbers won't hurt the baby, but giving in to every carb craving could.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The baby can also have respiratory distress when it is born.

My doctor also told me that the baby's pancreas may also have trouble producing insulin as a result of the gestational diabetes and that could cause him to get diabetes much earlier on in life, such as in his 30s. 

E 03.10
    H 11.11
    C 08.13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imageBottomStar:

Ditto PP, plus a few other things my doctor told me is that the placenta is at greater risk of breaking down prior to birth and the amniotic fluid levels could drop (due to dehydration associated with GD), both of which would put the baby in distress. 

That being said, I think "cheating" in moderation is the only way to get through this with a shred of sanity.  One day of bad numbers won't hurt the baby, but giving in to every carb craving could.

This is sort of the motto that I'm going with.  Yes, I'm trying to follow the diet for the most part but every now and then if I have something I'm not supposed to, I don't beat myself up about it.  Heck, most of the time, my sugar ends up being fine (or just a few points over) so I figure it's not that bad.  Uncontrolled GD is what causes most of the problems...and one slightly elevated number on occasion should not have any negative effects.

• Options
    imageGherkina:
    imageBottomStar:

This is sort of the motto that I'm going with.  Yes, I'm trying to follow the diet for the most part but every now and then if I have something I'm not supposed to, I don't beat myself up about it.  Heck, most of the time, my sugar ends up being fine (or just a few points over) so I figure it's not that bad.  Uncontrolled GD is what causes most of the problems...and one slightly elevated number on occasion should not have any negative effects.

My doctor said an occasional treat was ok but I had a tough time with it, to be honest. (although I've sense learned that I have "real" diabetes, I still controlled it really well during GD). I walked every.single.day. and it really kept my numbers down if I wanted a treat.

I was induced because they were concerned about my placenta breaking down, which it wasn't.

• Options

I guess it's all the potential risks that keep me in line.  I'm not sure I've really cheated even though I want to. I'm just too scared to have something go wrong.  I'm also afriad that I'd get in the habit of cheating and I don't want that so I just keep my diet very strict. 

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gestational-diabetes/DS00316/DSECTION=complications

Complications that may affect your baby
    If you have gestational diabetes, your baby may be at increased risk of:

• Excess growth. Extra glucose will cross the placenta, which triggers your baby's pancreas to make extra insulin. This can cause your baby to grow too large (macrosomia). Very large babies are more likely to become wedged in the birth canal, sustain birth injuries or require a C-section birth.
    • Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Sometimes babies of mothers with gestational diabetes develop low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) shortly after birth because their own insulin production is high. Severe episodes of this problem may provoke seizures in the baby. Prompt feedings and sometimes an intravenous glucose solution can return the baby's blood sugar level to normal.
    • Respiratory distress syndrome. If your baby is delivered early, respiratory distress syndrome ? a condition that makes breathing difficult ? is possible. Babies born to women with gestational diabetes have more breathing problems than do those born to women without the problem, even at the same gestational age. Babies who have respiratory distress syndrome might need help breathing until their lungs become stronger.
    • Jaundice. This yellowish discoloration of the skin and the whites of the eyes may occur if a baby's liver isn't mature enough to break down a substance called bilirubin, which normally forms when the body recycles old or damaged red blood cells. Although jaundice usually isn't a cause for concern, careful monitoring is important.
    • Type 2 diabetes later in life. Babies of mothers who have gestational diabetes have a higher risk of developing obesity and type 2 diabetes later in life.
    • Developmental problems. If you have gestational diabetes, your child may have an increased risk of problems with motor skill development, such as walking, jumping, or other activities that require balance and coordination. An increased risk of attention problems or hyperactivity disorders also is a concern.

Rarely, untreated gestational diabetes results in a baby's death either before or shortly after birth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

another concern with GD is heart development issues

cheating once in a while as long as your numbers don't shoot up is OK 

the importance is that your numbers are kept stable and not erratic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"