Pregnant after 35
Options

Will your DH/SO stay at the hospital at night or go home?

DH and I were talking about this the other night.  He told me that he didn't want to sleep in a chair. lol.

We only live about 5 minutes from the hospital so it would be easy for him to go back and forth.

What are your plans for DH while you are in the hospital?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Will your DH/SO stay at the hospital at night or go home?

• Options

We live about 15 min from the hospital, so with DS, he went home every night.  He would stay until about midnight and then go home. He didn't want to sleep in a chair either.

You really don't sleep in the hospital because you get woken up by the baby to feed, and the nurses to take your vital signs every 4 hours.

• Options
    I think he'll stay the first night and then go home 2nd night.  There is a cot for him to sleep in but I can't imagine it's very comfortable.  We're going to play it by ear.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DH has already insisted on staying the whole time, I'm having a c/s so that will be about 3-4 days.  We live about 20 min away but he said he wouldn't want to miss a second.  He stayed in the chair that rolls out to a mattress when I was 18 weeks in the hospital w/kidney stones...he said it wasn't that bad.  I'm sure he is lying about the comfort so I don't worry, but it's his call.  He'll make trips home during the day to shower etc.  And we'll have family staying at the house and he'll want to check on our pets too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    He's staying with me while I'm in labor, but once that's over, he's going to sleep at home.  With my first two he stayed with me the whole time, but this time I've asked him to go home to be with the kids.  They'll need him.  I can handle myself at the hospital.
    ~ Married 14 years and counting ~
    Chandler 11/2000 ~ Bronwyn 6/2002 ~ Grayson 3/2010 ~ Matilda/Till 6/2012
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    BFP 10/20/11 ::sticky dust::
    BFP 9/11/11 - m/c 9/25/11 5w5d
  • Options
    With DD he stayed the entire time. Only left 1 day for about 30 min to pick up pictures and get a new shirt. He even showered there. I had a c-section so we were there from Fri to Mon. He will probably do the same this time.
  • Options
    w/DD he stayed the 1st nite (it was 3am by the time we got to the room);  nurses were in/out every hour or so so neither of us slept well.   I really saw no point on him continuing to stay (I had a csection so was in 5 days) and sent him home;  plus we have a lot of animals and it was just easier for him to take care of them vs having the neightbor do it
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    With DS, my DH stayed. But I don't think he will this time if LO or I need to stay. He thought it was very uncomfortable to sleep there.
  • Options
    He'll stay.  He'll go home to put DS and animals to bed and will go back early in the morning to get the day started there, but will be with me overnight.  My mom will be staying at the house.
  • Options
    I want him to go home and get a good night's sleep and feed/walk the dogs.  He's not much use to me when he's not well rested.  It will be better for me not to have him snoring in a chair while I'm trying to sleep anyway. I only want to be there for the 24 hours required by my doctors (for a normal vaginal delivery), so in an ideal world, it would only be for one night.  
  • Options
    We live about 40 min. away from hospital, it probably will depend on what time I deliver. They have a recliner there in case he stays and I will pack items for him, but everything is undecided at this time.
  • Options
    He's considering staying the first night (although I may only be there one night...we'll see how it goes).  The rooms at our hospital have this futon-like sofa bed and they'll provide nice sheets and everything for him.  He'll have to go home for a little while in the evening, though, and take care of the animals.
  • Options
    With my dd, he went home - he had to take care of some things with my stepson.  This time though, my parents will most likely be here with my dd so I'm not sure.  My dd keeps saying how much she'll miss me when I am in the hospital with the baby so I may just have my dh go home so she can have one of us there with her.
  • Options
    I will send him home to get well rested and make sure everything is in order for when we come home
  • Options
    We lived about 10 minutes away from the hospital and DH stayed with me the entire 5 nights.  To be honest, he had a pull out bed (quite comfortable-per him) and he didn't mind...he even got fed!  LOL  It was quite helpful when I needed to go the bathroom and wanted to go for a walk (which they recom ASAP after surgery), he helped me get out of bed all the time .....
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH has always stayed w/me.  The chair is umcomfortable.  I remember at one point he was sleeping in my bed (during the day) while I sat in the chair and held the baby. 
  • Options

He stayed for the birth of DS #1 and he'll be with me this time.  My parents will be watching DS at our house so he may stop home to visit for a few (we live less than 2 miles from the hospital) to hang out with our little guy but I want him with me.  DS will be in great hands with my parents.

Ha, I need attention and support and want him to share those first few days with us.  He never complained about the chair but seriously... after giving birth sleeping in a chair for two nights is doable. 

• Options

My DH stayed with me the first time each night; he even stayed at the hospital with me a couple days later when we ended up having to take DD back for blue light treatment for jaundice!  Initially he kept saying he didn't know if he could sleep in the pull out chair because of his height, he is 6'6", but when it all went down I don't think he wanted to leave us alone and truthfully I was so happy to have him there with me.

We haven't talked about this time, my DD will either be staying with ILs or my parents will be here at our house, so he probably doesn't need to stay, but on the other hand I know what to do now and I'm sure I'll have plenty of visitors, so I might let him off the hook this tme.  I'll have to ask him what he wants to do.

Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    totally agree with hubby staying even if chair is uncomfortable.we still need support and help and sometimes having the extra ears when you are exhausted is great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"