Boston Babies
Options

What would you say are must-haves for the nursery?

Hi! Thought I'd come join in on the fun over here today!

I know, I'm only 12 weeks, but its fun to start thinking about:)What's on your must have list for furniture, accessories, items, etc?

Re: What would you say are must-haves for the nursery?

• Options

I loved having a nice cozy rocking chair...we still read in it all the time.

Using a wide dresser and putting a changing pad on it will save you money and space!  Changing tables only get used for a short time.  By the time my son was a year, it was just easier to change him on the floor/couch.

The Fisher Price Aquarium Crib Soother saved our sanity early on.

Check out Baby Bargains (it's a book) to get ratings of furniture and other baby items...it was a huge help for me!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemrspaz:

I know, I'm only 12 weeks, but its fun to start thinking about:)What's on your must have list for furniture, accessories, items, etc?

Hi mrspaz :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Crib, dresser with changing table pad on top. Honestly the only time I enter the nursery is to change the baby's diaper or put her to bed. The rocker ended up in the living room in front of the tv, the baby's play mat is in the living room, and the baby's toys are everywhere but the nursery. All her bath stuff has moved to the bathroom after one too many times of getting her in the bath and then realizing something I needed was in the nursery.

Other baby gear... some kind of seat for the baby- preferably one that vibrates- is  necessary if you plan to shower in the first few months. Some kind of sling and/or moby wrap. A rocker with pockets- keep a burp cloth, pacifier, water bottle (for you), snacks (for you) in the pockets at all times.

• Options

Probably different for a lot of people. We co slept and never did my son sleep in his crib, if you can believe that. I have it as a toddler bed so my point is the convertible crib was a great must for us. 

2>Glider (cheaper one at walmart) worked awesome, used it all the time for nursing and it's still in great shape. 

3>Dresser, not changing table: we bought a large dresser that has 2 cabinets and 3 drawers in the middle and used the surface as the changing table. It was great b/c we still use the piece now and he'll have it as he growns into his full bed.

4>Diaper caddy, so many small things for changing and wiping and rashes etc. I had the one from PBK and it was fine, a cheaper basket would work too

5>A lot of hangers, to hang all the clothes

6>Waterproof sheet/pad to protect the mattress

7>Things I didn't have and glad : lamp (had overhead lighting), diaper warmer, diaper stacker, clothes dividers. 

8>Things I have that I could have done without: Diaper pail (can't remember the name) smelled anyway, painted letters, he pulled them all down,  specific bedding, I ended up taking the skirt off when I dropped the crib (which I never used only for naps) and the bumper he pulled off when he figured it out, the quilt I use in his toddler bed so in hindsight a sheet would have sufficed (although being a 1st time mom you'll want to get a cute set :), a ton of clothes, he had more clothes than freaking gymboree, in his first year and it was a waste, you will always have the outfits that you will want to put on him over and over and others will be put on once or so.

Thats it :) good luck and congrats. 

• Options
    imageNest Anni:
    imagemrspaz:

Hey, Anni! How've you been?

• Options
    imagemrspaz:
    imageNest Anni:
    imagemrspaz:

I'm great.  I think I may have responded to your BFP post, but if I didn't, a HUGE CONGRATS to you!  That baby is going to have one stylish nursery...

• Options

What I think you need for a nursery now and what I thought I needed for a nursery the first time around are different.

First off, how much space do you have? If space is somewhat limited you can work around having a diaper genie and or a changing table. Purchase a thick foam pad from BBB and it can go on top of a dresser. Our pad travels from room to room depending on whether I'm changing someone by the crib, my bedroom or the den.

Personally, I like having somewhere cozy and intimate to feed the baby - for me, that meant investing in a nice glider. Again, no need for one if space is tight - the couch will do!

• Options

Someone else mentioned this too, but don't bother with the crib-bedding.  I chose a green colored theme and got green sheets, changing pad covers (green with white polka dots), and a green hamper from BRU and cute curtains from Ikea with green stripes and other brightly-covered flowers.  Then I hung a framed poster with a green theme that we already had.  I think the total decorating cost was about $50, which is about a third the price of those bedding sets.

Sorry for the lengthy answers- hope they are helpful.

• Options
    imageNest Anni:
    imagemrspaz:
    imageNest Anni:
    imagemrspaz:

I'm great.  I think I may have responded to your BFP post, but if I didn't, a HUGE CONGRATS to you!  That baby is going to have one stylish nursery...

aw, thanks!!! we are so excited:) just holding on to make it through until the second trimester, then i will feel alot safer. yikes, the nursery should be fun....but first i have to clean out all my clothes, art supplies, shoes and the ironing board that are currently inhabiting that room:)

• Options

thanks, guys!!! this is all great advice. ok, a couple of things:

-how would you feel about a used crib? good friends of ours have offered us theirs as both their kids our now out of it. its 5 years old. provided i look up the model online and that its safe, do you think a used crib is ok if we get a new mattress? saving the money would be awesome.

- i definitely am liking the idea of a regular dresser vs. a specific changing table. so you can just strap one of those changing pad things on top, right?

-i wondered about the necessity of a chair. my mom offered me the large wooden rocking chair she used to nurse me. that would totally be cool for sentimental reasons, do you think it would be comfy enough? i like the look of the all-upholstered chairs better than the ones with the wood  showing. is it necessary that the chair glide?

• Options
    imagemrspaz:

-how would you feel about a used crib? good friends of ours have offered us theirs as both their kids our now out of it. its 5 years old. provided i look up the model online and that its safe, do you think a used crib is ok if we get a new mattress? saving the money would be awesome.

- i definitely am liking the idea of a regular dresser vs. a specific changing table. so you can just strap one of those changing pad things on top, right?

-i wondered about the necessity of a chair. my mom offered me the large wooden rocking chair she used to nurse me. that would totally be cool for sentimental reasons, do you think it would be comfy enough? i like the look of the all-upholstered chairs better than the ones with the wood  showing. is it necessary that the chair glide?

I know it's not normally recommended to use a used crib, if you looked it up and it appeared safe I'd probably do it.  There are regulations on the distance of the scrib slats...so maybe you could look that up and take measurements?

We just put the changing pad right on top...the bottom of the pad is "anti skid" and it didn't move an inch when DS was on it.  

We were offered my Moms old rocker, but my sister stole it (she was also pregnant)...I was mad, but in all honesty it's not that comfy.  I have docked many hours in my chair and it's heavenly comfortable.  We tested a lot of rockers/gliders and found the all over upholstry ones weren't that comfy either (even though they're definitely better looking).  We got a glider that has a foot stool (by Dutalier) and it's worked out great.  Go to a baby store and test them out!  That's the best advice.  Maybe the chair from your mom would work well elsewhere in your house for sitting with your LO/reading?

ETA:  I really like your blog!

• Options
    imagemrspaz:

I would definitely look it up online.  I'm all for saving money where you can, but there have been a lot of crib recalls recently.

• Options
    imagemrspaz:

Used crib - just make sure there aren't any recalls on it, I'd buy a used one.

The changing pad I had bought has a no skid bottom so it doesn't move even with my 2 year old. 

The most important thing for me was the ottoman so if the rocking chair is comfortable enough for you (really you can be sitting for an hour or more a time if you plan on breastfeeding) then I say go for it and buy a small ottoman. 

• Options
    imageKelzinBoston:
    imagemrspaz:

I know it's not normally recommended to use a used crib, if you looked it up and it appeared safe I'd probably do it.  There are regulations on the distance of the scrib slats...so maybe you could look that up and take measurements?

We just put the changing pad right on top...the bottom of the pad is "anti skid" and it didn't move an inch when DS was on it.  

We were offered my Moms old rocker, but my sister stole it (she was also pregnant)...I was mad, but in all honesty it's not that comfy.  I have docked many hours in my chair and it's heavenly comfortable.  We tested a lot of rockers/gliders and found the all over upholstry ones weren't that comfy either (even though they're definitely better looking).  We got a glider that has a foot stool (by Dutalier) and it's worked out great.  Go to a baby store and test them out!  That's the best advice.  Maybe the chair from your mom would work well elsewhere in your house for sitting with your LO/reading?

ETA:  I really like your blog!

hi and thanks so much for writing all this. hmmm, yeah, i guess we will have to look more into the crib.

so glad to hear that anti-skid pad works well on a dresser, i think we will for sure go this route.

lol about the wood rocker..that's a great idea about keeping it somewhere else in the house!!! i will have to see how mad my mom will be if we don't use it;)

• Options

for me the changing pad on the dresser is a big help. at 16 months I still only change him on it when we're in the house. It not only helps with my back, but my DS has learned that once he goes on the dresser it's changing time. I personally love the wipes warmer. I use to judge people on that before. But I had to use a wipes once in the middle of of cold night to wipe off something on me, and i realized how cold the thing was. no wonder DS always use to startle when we used it on him at night...it's the little things for me. Eventhough the diaper genies to keep out the smells out all the time but it helps. besides it's either something cover or not. I prefer the covered waste baskets. Other than that, the diaper bag at arm's reach and a couple of baskets for the creams and lotions, etc...at arm's reach and I'm good.

I do advise that whatever furniture pieces you get, get them with lots of drawers....the little clothes add up and it's much easier if you could have designated drawers for each categories..i.e. onesies, socks, bottoms, tops, blankets...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"