Boston Babies
Options

Win one of three $25 AmEx Gift Cheques from The Bump!

Enter to win a $25 American Express Gift Cheque. Simply share the best piece of advice you've received for getting through pregnancy or adjusting to life with a new baby.  Post it below and you'll be entered!

Full Sweepstakes Rules.

Please make sure your contact information is up to date so we can get in touch with you if you win.

Re: Win one of three $25 AmEx Gift Cheques from The Bump!

• Options
    Oooh I could reeeallly use that!
  • Options

Don't listen to what other people have to say, your experience will more than likely be different.

Also never say never b/c once you have the baby all those things you never thought you'd do, surprisingly you are doing (I'm a huge offender of this one). 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The best advise I've gotten so far is to let people pamper me and help me. I'm very into doing things myself and have finally realized how good it feels to let people help. The best part is, that they are so excited to do so!
  • Options
    Advice for when you're in between regular pants and maternity pants: Take a sturdy hair elastic and loop it through the button hole of your pants, secure the other side of the elastic around the pant button and Viola! Instant maternity pants! Just wear a longer sweater or shirt to hide the evidence ;-)
  • Options

Oh wow, I was so excited about the gift card, that i didn't see that i was supposed to post some advice, ok here it is:

I was told by my step-mother, to always set aside time for me, just me, not as mom, but as an adult who needs some socializing and fun. It keeps you sane and is a good time out.. but of course i'm always thinking about DD during my "me time" lol

• Options
    accept help even if you don't need it!
  • Options
    Don't google when you have a worry!
  • Options
    every baby is different... do what works for you and your baby, not what the book says
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

take advantage of people offering to help, especially in the early days -- it's one of the few times you can play a princess (covered in spit-up and poop, mind you, but still a princess)

Just remember that no matter what decisions you make re: cloth diapering vs disposable, formula vs breast feeding, organic or non-organic foods, jarred vs homemade baby food -- it doesn't matter in the long run, as long as you are giving love and attention and taking care of your little baby. Give them that, and they will grow up just fine. :)

• Options

Sometimes holding your baby is the most important thing you could be doing at that moment.  The laundry, dishes and dusting can all wait.  It goes by so quickly that you need to take time to savor those quiet moments with your loved on.

And no one will care if you poop on the delivery table, I promise.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

While pregnant:  Enjoy every flutter and kick and ENJOY the birth.

With newborns: Take the time to learn about your baby's personality...and show her off!

• Options
    I think the best advice I got was to just stop worrying about every little thing and enjoy my son.  We all know it goes by way too fast and just remembering to take the time to enjoy my son at every stage with out worrying about when he meets every milestone has made my like so much more enjoyable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Getting out of house in the early days is crucial. Whenever I was starting to feel the "baby blues" creeping in, taking a long walk would really help to clear my mind. Now that she's a bit older, we have regularly scheduled date nights - anything from dinner, to a bookstore, or even just a few hours at home alone - is a much-needed trip back to normalcy. The first few months are a tough ride, but so worth it in the end!
  • Options
    Live in the moment. It's so easy to want to rush on to the next thing. Savor those little toes, milk drunk smiles, snuggles because it goes by too fast. 
  • Options
    Accept the help friends and family offer you in the beginning.  You may feel like you can do it all, but it is nice to catch a break (or a nap) while someone else is helping out!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Socialize... join a mom's group, go out for a girl's night, have dates with your husband!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    What works for others and their babies will not always work for you! Every baby is different and I have found that going with my gut on what is best for my child is the best decision. When you receive outdated or unsolicited advice just smile and nod. :)

Jacob 3.23.08 * Grace 7.22.09 * Eli 7.26.11 * Annabelle 1.18.14

• Options
    The best piece of advice I have received so far is to forget about a birth plan and relax.  Have a general idea of what you're hoping for out of the experience, but don't have a rigid plan because you'll just be disappointed in yourself if it doesn't work out.  Relax and go with the flow.
  • Options
    Rememb
  • Options
    The best advice I've received is to enjoy this time with my fiance.  As happy as we will be when the baby comes, everything will change and we won't have much time just for us.
  • Options
    The best advice I've ever heard is to listen to and trust your gut instinct about your child, because it's usually right. I've found this to be true in every case, no matter what the reason.
  • Options
    The best piece of advice I received for adjusting to life with a new baby is to slow down and never be afraid to ask for help. It's a lot, especially with your first child, adjusting to be awake at random times of the night with a new baby, balancing your normal schedule (work, cleaning, etc.) with new responsibility.
  • Options
    imageKeniP:
    The best piece of advice I received for adjusting to life with a new baby is to slow down and never be afraid to ask for help. It's a lot, especially with your first child, adjusting to be awake at random times of the night with a new baby, balancing your normal schedule (work, cleaning, etc.) with new responsibility.
  • Options
    Don't be afraid to ask for help!!!  Leave them with aunti for a couple of hours and go to dinner with your Husband! If your breast feeding drink plenty of water!
  • Options

Your baby may not understand your words, but she is keenly tuned in to you! Try to be calm, confident, and happy-go-lucky, even when your baby is wailing, won't eat, or refusing to sleep. (These things pass and are not your fault.)  Baby will pick up on your calmness, confidence, and happiness, thrive, and, in tunr, make you even more calm, confident, and happy. 

• Options

Best piece of advice is be prepared for lots of unsolicited advice. Man is it true.

And don't worry, my contact info is up to date. Seeing as I am asked to update it every other day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Best piece of advice-Google is NOT your friend!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Keep in mind that sometimes there is more than one "right" way to do something and not to get upset if something isn't done your way.
  • Options

I have got so much great advice from this board.  other moms are the best resource there is! I was on bed rest for almost 5wks while pregnant with my son and if not for my laptop and the Bump boards i would have been way worse off! the Preemie/ high risk pregnancy boards were especially supportive.  

I know it's a popular one but "sleep when the baby sleeps" was something I finally drilled into my head.  we co-slept early on b/c my son had colic and it was one of the only things that calmed him down.  I just cuddled up with him and let it happen, not worrying about the dishes in the sink or the laundry that needed to be folded.  those naps are some of my favorite memories of his first year.   Cake

imageimage

• Options
    Relax and enjoy your pregnancy and spend time together - because it will not just be the two of you!
  • Options
    a pediatrician in urgent care referred to my professional job as my 2nd job...I loved that. She was writing my son's diagnosis on the the computer and she said "mommy has a a second job outside the home". I'll never forget that. It never hit so hard than that moment that my first job is at home being a mom. She said only a mother knows truly knows her child..so ask any question, every question, any and every time...go with your gut and instinct. I know a lot of people say that to new moms..but that day I needed to hear that a little louder..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"