High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD baby question

I was just wondering once you are diagnosed with GD, how do they watch baby's growth?  Is it just the fundal (sp??) size and kick counts?

I'm a big girl and worry about the belly measurements giving me any indication of how big my baby really is.  Plus DH and I both come from big stock, so I was worried about having a huge baby even without the GD diagnosis...

Just curious I guess if they do any other ultrasounds or anything that usually they wouldn't do.  I know there must be a difference from doctor to doctor and different insurances, and will ask my practitioner, but curious if there is any trend.

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: GD baby question

• Options

I just had a growth U/S yesterday and my doctor is supposed to get results in a few days. I figure unless anything major is up I won't hear about it until my next OB appointment next Friday.

I too was a bigger person to start with but on U/S certain parts of baby have been consistently measuring "ahead" since I had the anatomy scan back in November and those are measurements they take via the U/S not just the measuring tape on the belly thing.

As long as I don't go on insulin as far as I was told I won't be having to do NST's but many practices do have you do them with GD. So as the weeks progress I will find out more.

::Blog:: ::NOTD Schedule::
    ::GP Nesties FAQ:: ::My BFP Chart::

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Sarah has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
    hide
    "I won't sugarcoat the truth just so you can swallow it without the pain"
  • Options
    They're sending me for a growth ultrasound in 2 weeks.  I don't know if I'll get anything else after that.  They're worried about size but it's hard to imagine that my baby's large since I've gained hardly any weight (lost 5, gained 3 so far) but it's better to check...plus, I can't wait to get another glimpse of LO.  :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB has done monthly growth scans since I was first measuring large - I actually passed my initial 3 hour, but after the results of the first growth scan at 28 weeks, they made me repeat it.  I had one at 32 (and our last one was at 36), as well as starting the NST's - my doc does them just based on GD alone, I was having them when I was still just diet controlled, so every doc is different.
  • Options

i have growth u/s regularly plus nst starting in 2 wks that will be weekly.  fundal height is so useless no matter what YOUR size, imo.  i get really BIG fast early with both pg 1 and 2 and i am a very small framed person.  baby always measured normal and dd was only 6lb9oz at birth (didn't have gd but always measured ahead).  just sayin :)

• Options
    I have been getting ultrasounds every 4 weeks since about 16 weeks, first for lower amniotic fluid and now for GD.
  • Options
    I have my first growth u/s /biophysical at 35 weeks and then every week after until LO is born.  My DD was 8lb14oz without a GD diagnosis so I'm not really worried about big baby yet.  If they predict 9 1/2 pounds at full term, that's what I was figuring anyway LOL.  But if they predict 11 pounds at full term I'll start worrying :)
  • Options

Thanks Ladies!

Sounds like u/s are pretty normal with a GD diagnosis.  I'll be curious to see how they handle me since I was diagnosed so early.  We had our "big" u/s on Monday and couldn't get a lot of measurements (little bugger was all balled up and in the totally wrong position to see a bunch of stuff- including gender!) so I go back next week.  I was starting to think that would be the last time, but maybe not!

• Options
    my OB isn't doing anything out of the ordinary because of the GD.  He said he *might* do an NST at 38 weeks, but that's it.  No extra ultrasounds or anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"