Health & Exercise
Options

If you worked out during pregnancy, come in!

Hi Ladies - I'm just hoping to get some positive feedback.

I have a DD that just turned 2.  I worked out prior to getting pg with her but had to do IVF to get pg and couldn't work out during pregnancy and ended up putting on over 75 lbs.  (Yes, you read that right!)  After DD was born, I got very serious about the gym and lost over 95 lbs.  I have been consistent with working out and am at a very healthy weight of 120 lbs today. 

I just found out that I am preg again unexpectedly.  I would really like to do things different this time for myself and my baby.  I would like to continue to work out at a lower heart rate and continue my healthy eating habits.  I am hoping to only gain the normal amount of weight 25-30 lbs.

So my question is - is this feasable?  Can this be a reality?  What did you do during your pregnancy to stay in shape and keep your weight manageable?  What was your exercise routine? What is my ideal heart rate during pregnancy?

Re: If you worked out during pregnancy, come in!

• Options
    I have worked out fairly normally almost all of my pregnancy.  I've done weights, spin, run, elliptical, and kickbox.  I stopped kick boxing and running around 30 weeks because it just got uncomfortable, but I still do everything else.  In the later part of my 1st tri I started getting sick after the gym so I scaled it way back and was basically just walking, but then I started feeling better again and now I really don't worry about my heart rate, but its usually around 150.  My dr. said the 140 rule is out dated, just not to work out to where your about to pass out or something
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options

Prior to getting pregnant, I was doing cardio workouts (running, eliptical, or a kick boxing class), about 3 days per week and then strength training 2 days per week.  When I found out I was pregnant, my doctor thought I should keep my heart rate below 120.  Not all doctors think that is necessary (I asked her a couple times about this since I had read a lot of conflicting info) but being this is my first child, I decided to modify my work outs to meet her recommendation.

I have still been strength training.  At first -- maybe as far as up to 20 weeks I was doing it 2x per week.  After that, only 1x per week.  I do meet with a personal trainer every other week and she has worked with me to adjust the weights and positions to suit my pregnancy.

Since cardio has been out, I have instead become a walker.  I tried for 1.5-2 miles each day that I did not lift weights.  Even during my 1st trimester when I felt a little sick I would still go out for a short walk (maybe .75-1 mile) and take it very slow.  The last 3-4 weeks, I have cut my walking back from 5 days a week to about 3.  With baby dropping, it's better to have a couple days of rest mixed in now.

I also started attending yoga classes at my gym when I became pregnant.  I go once per week and it is great for working on balance and stretching.  I do have to modify some moves and poses but the instructer there is great with offering me some suggestions.

At 37 weeks I had only gained 27 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight.  I think a lot of this is the exercise but some is also due to diet.  I have tried really hard to pack extra fruits and vegetables for snacking at work rather than cookies, chips, etc.

Besides just helping with weight gain, I highly recommend exercising (if you can) to help you stay mobile.  I think that all my walking, etc has really been a huge factor in keeping me mobile throughout these later stages in pregnancy.  I move a bit slower but I don't feel extremely restricted in what I can do.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pre-preg I was running 4-5 miles 3x a week and cross training another day or two.  First tri I was too sick and exhausted, but a couple weeks into 2nd tri I got back on the treadmill.  My heart rate shoots up extremely fast, always has, so I'm forced to alternate short bursts of jogging and walking, but I have to admit I feel really good even the days I just walk.  I do 45 mins 3-5x a week.  I also do light arm weights 2-3x a week.  At this point I've still gained about 25 lbs already, but I suppose it could have been more if I wasn't active!  I've been eating a lot more carbs than I did pre-preg since my meat aversion decided to stick around even after 1st tri.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I've continued my usual workout routine of running 4.5 miles 3-4x/week, although at 26 weeks, I'm getting to a point at which I really need a day off between runs to let my calves relax, and so I may add an elliptical day.  The general/most logical rule I've heard (and confirmed w/ my OB) is that you should be able to hold a comfortable conversation while working out.  For me, that means a HR of 160 or below.  The other thing to do, as someone else suggested, is to get in the habit of snacking on healthy things.  I'm constantly munchy even when not hungry, and so I keep carrots, cheerios, and raw almonds at work to try to avoid the junk.  I definitely eat dessert, though!
  • Options
    The rule of thumb is listen to your body...as long as you're healthy you should be able to keep up most things.  I ran until my back started aching after work outs (around 6 mo).  GL! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I didn't work out with my son (4 years ago), because I was a newlywed who wanted to enjoy everything that pregnancy had to offer!  I ended up gaining 40 pounds and hating myself at the end!  This time around, I got pregnant by unexpectedly, and actually finished a marathon at 4 weeks pg.  I have been working out 45 min - 1 hour at least 4 days a week, and the doctor said as long as I was doing it pre-pg, then I could do it now.  I run 1-2 a week, do the treadmill, train with a trainer and do yoga - really mix it up.  I do wear a heart rate monitor, since I did that in my race training, and my doc said as long as I don't go over 160, I'm fine.

I say keep working out and maybe take the intensity down a level until you have your first doctor's appointment and see what he/she has to say then.  Good luck - you can do it!!

• Options

In my first pregnancy, I walked and jogged every day 4 miles. I even ran 4 miles teh day befoer I gave birth. I gained 20 pounds.

My second pregnancy, I was more tired and I mostly walked 3 miles a day. I gained 30 pounds.

It's doable!  When you reach for food, think first "Is this something that baby will like? Is healthy for him/her? "  It helped me to think that I was being healthy for me and baby.

• Options
    I walk on a treadmill for an hour twice a week, and the other two days I do squats and leg exercises, then weights for my arms. This is less then I was working out previous to getting pregnant. Also some mornings I don't walk that much due to nausea etc, but just getting a little exercise is good. So far I have not gained any weight, even though I do give into my cravings :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"