Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

matt logelin dating: thoughts on what you would do

Matt's post with pics of his new girlfriend has been on my mind.

If your DH died tomorrow, would you want to remarry? When?

If you died tomorrow, would you want DH to remarry?

Re: matt logelin dating: thoughts on what you would do

• Options
    yes and yes.  as for when, who knows.
  • Options
    I think it is healthy for people to move on, especially when they are as young as he is.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i have no idea when , for either of us... but YES I would expect both of us would remarry/date at some point. I mean, this is normal.    and for the record, i find his blog to be annoying on several levels that i am too tired to get into right now.
  • Options

I don't think I would remarry. It would be really unlikely, and therefore, I'm sure, absolutely meant to be if I were to encounter someone new.

But I know that my son's relationship with that person would be paramount to me. I had a horrible relationship with my stepfather until the last few years. Really terrible. I would never want to think that my son was having that experience. I would rather raise him alone.

I am positive my husband would never remarry.

• Options
    We would both want the other to let love back into their lives. I'm not sure I could get remarried though. Why shouldn't he be happy?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageAngieandTony:
    We would both want the other to let love back into their lives. I'm not sure I could get remarried though. Why shouldn't he be happy?

For the record, I never meant to say he shouldn't be happy - just that it has been on my mind. I've been picturing and having my heart break at the thought of DH remarrying and some other woman being my DD's mother. I've never given much thought to it all, so it has been sticking with me since I read his blog.

• Options
    Absolutely.  i know that DH would want me to be happy and I would want him to be happy too.  i think it's healthy and part of the healing process.  He is young and has found someone to make him happy.  He will always love Liz and he continues to live his life.  I think it's great that he's dating again.  Apparently, the new gf has been volunteering for the foundation for a while and that's how they met.  More power to him and I am excited for him.
  • Options
    Yes I would want him to move on. We are far to young, imo, to be alone for the rest of our lives.   My only stipulation is that if I should die Brendan doesn't ever refer to the new woman as mom/mommy/momma.  
  • Options

I really doubt DH would remarry. But who is to say. I mean if he found love again then sure, I would hope my DD would have a nice woman to look up to and love her if I pass.

I would only remarry if someone was really really worthy and that would be hard for them to live up to because DH is awesome and I'm not sure anyone could ever compare. Plus they would have to get along with my kids ugh there is so much that goes into that. 

• Options

I don't know - I honestly don't see myself remarrying.  I think DH would and I would want him to - eventually.

I am very happy for Matt and I think it is great.  But, when I was looking at the pictures of Maddie and the new gf, I felt more than a twinge of sadness that it wasn't Liz with her daughter.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I don't know if I ever would, but my husband has already said that he wouldn't.
  • Options
    imagemrskate07:

imageAngieandTony:

For the record, I never meant to say he shouldn't be happy - just that it has been on my mind. I've been picturing and having my heart break at the thought of DH remarrying and some other woman being my DD's mother. I've never given much thought to it all, so it has been sticking with me since I read his blog.

Honestly, my mom died when I was a teenager...I never want my daughter to go through what I went through. So, if that means that she'd have a chance at a young age to develope a bond with a mother figure who really loved her, I would want that with all my heart. Someone who would be there when she graduated high school, got married, had a baby, etc... I would definately want my daughter to have that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would want to remarry, eventually. DH has already told me that if anything happens to me, he doesn't want to remarry. (He was married before me and I guess he feels like two is his limit!)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    imageInternetExplorer:

I think it's incredibly bad form to broadcast your new girlfriend on the blog dedicated to your dead wife.

Somethings are better left off the internet. ick.

It is a blog that follows their lives...this new gf is obviously going to be part of their lives.  It would have come out one way or the other - I think he handled it well.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    imagetrizzie:
    imageInternetExplorer:

I think it's incredibly bad form to broadcast your new girlfriend on the blog dedicated to your dead wife.

It is a blog that follows their lives...this new gf is obviously going to be part of their lives.  It would have come out one way or the other - I think he handled it well.

This. The blog is about him dealing with the death of his wife, and what its like to raise his child without her. Clearly he has been to hell and back. He deserves to find love again, and Maddie deserves to see her dad happy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    can someone link the blog?  I had it bookmarked on my old laptop.
  • Options

I'd want J to move on immediately. I mean immediately. Like if he could find a good palliative care nurse I'd be cool with that. I said this the other day but the man obviously has tremendous taste in women so he'd pick another awesome female role model for Jo.

I on the other hand would take some time to reflect before marrying Sidney Crosby.

image Josephine is 4.
  • Options
    imageKiranie:
    imagemrskate07:

imageAngieandTony:

Honestly, my mom died when I was a teenager...I never want my daughter to go through what I went through. So, if that means that she'd have a chance at a young age to develope a bond with a mother figure who really loved her, I would want that with all my heart. Someone who would be there when she graduated high school, got married, had a baby, etc... I would definately want my daughter to have that.

I think this is my thought on it.  As much as it hurts me to think of missing my childs life (if I was to die) it hurts me more to think of my child without a mother figure.  I think I would remarry.  DH though, I am not sure he would make the effort to find someone.  If he did, though he probably would remarry.

• Options

I answered this question on 6-12 when it was asked last week and since then, after discussion with my DH, my argument remains the same. I feel as if I trust my DH 100% and any woman he chose to bring into DS's life would be a quality person. I would want them to have as much love and companionship as humanly possible and if God forbid, I'm not around to provide that, I'd hope that they found someone to give them some small part of it.

Listen, nobody can "replace" a wife and mother. My marriage will always be my marriage no matter what happens. There were plenty of women on 6-12 who, when discussing this issue said, "No. My DH is NEVER allowed to remarry." And I give them that right. It's their opinion. I just think of the lonely 60 and 70 somethings who didn't remarry "because of the kids" and how it's unfair that they (the children) get a chance to live their lives but their parent can not. It's healthy to want to be in a LTR. DH says that he'd never get remarried, he'd likely be in a LRT if the opportunity presented itself. Either way, I'd just want LO and DH to be happy, with a giving, loving woman in their lives. I don't think that's too much to ask for. I'd hope for that much at least.

• Options
    imagelanie30:

I on the other hand would take some time to reflect before marrying Sidney Crosby.

Back the eff off beech. He's mine. Unless of course, Ashton Kutcher becomes available before then. Or (I hate myself for admitting this) Robert Pattinson. Yeah, stay back. I have pepper mace and I know how to use it.

• Options
    When I was 21 I lost my bf in a car accident;  it took me years to move on;  w/DH I have kids and couldnt imagine moving on quickly.  Im not sure I'd remarry.....I'm also 40yo so that makes a difference.  I would want DH to remarry to help w/the kids/so they'd have a mom.  I have a lot of male friends so they could still get the male influence but I dont think I'd be in a rush to remarry
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    yes and yes
  • Options

If DH were to die tomorrow, I honestly don't know if I'd want to marry again, at least not soon. I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of getting involved with another man when the time was right, but I don't know if I'd want to get married again.

If I died tomorrow, I'd want DH to be happy. If he met and fell in love with someone, I'd absolutely want him to get married if that's what he wanted. The thought of him spending the rest of his life alone, mourning me is awful.

• Options
    I think we both probably would but not sure when. Men rebound quicker I think. I agree with pp that it's normal to move on. You can't mourn forever...life is for the living. I'm sure loved ones who have passed would want those left behind to live a happy and full life.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelanie30:

I'd want J to move on immediately. I mean immediately. Like if he could find a good palliative care nurse I'd be cool with that. I said this the other day but the man obviously has tremendous taste in women so he'd pick another awesome female role model for Jo.

Lanie you slay me!!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagetrizzie:
    imageInternetExplorer:

Exactly. It sounds like they have been seeing each other for a bit and that he waited to see if it was going to get serious before announcing anything. His blog tends to be a minute-by-minute account of his days, so if she's going to be there, it might be difficult to not mention her.

• Options
  • Options
    imageInternetExplorer:

I'm glad he's dating and happy.  But I just think putting it out there must be so painful for her family.  I think it's callous.  He doesn't owe it to anyone to discuss his love life, and really, she is the first person he's been with since his wife's passing.   The prudent thing to do would be to keep it on the DL.

And, in all his previous posts, he has claimed that the blog is for his daughter to get better insight/know her mother.  Why on earth would he put up his dating stuff on a blog for his daughter that is supposed to be about her mother?

If he wanted to set up a "Just Matt" blog that would be fine, and you know his audience would follow it, but the dating aspect of his life does not jive with all his previous claims that it was for his daguther.  You don't document your romantic relationships for your kids.  That's odd.

He seems to have a good relationship with Liz's family still.  I'm sure that wasn't the first time they had heard of it, you know?  

• Options

i dont think DH or i would remarry. not because we think its wrong to do so, i think its perfectly fine. but honestly, neither one of us would probably want to put the effort into building a new relationship. we are both very solitary people that just happen to enjoy being with each other. i'm not so sure either of us would find another person that 'gets it' like we do.

i think if one of us passed away, eventually the other would date. but personally, i would probably not have another relationship that would end up in living together or marriage.

• Options
    imageInternetExplorer:

I'm glad he's dating and happy.  But I just think putting it out there must be so painful for her family.  I think it's callous.  He doesn't owe it to anyone to discuss his love life, and really, she is the first person he's been with since his wife's passing.   The prudent thing to do would be to keep it on the DL.

And, in all his previous posts, he has claimed that the blog is for his daughter to get better insight/know her mother.  Why on earth would he put up his dating stuff on a blog for his daughter that is supposed to be about her mother?

If he wanted to set up a "Just Matt" blog that would be fine, and you know his audience would follow it, but the dating aspect of his life does not jive with all his previous claims that it was for his daguther.  You don't document your romantic relationships for your kids.  That's odd.

The blog was around before Liz died, after her death it turned into him dealing with her death and raising Madeline.  IMO him dating shows his daughter what "normal" looks like and that is a great thing.

lol I don't even like his blog and am defending him, grr!  

• Options

I'm not sure about remarrying, but I would most certainly date and potentially get serious with someone else, yes.  I know he'd do the same.

Matt is still young and has a lot to offer a woman, so I don't see a problem with it. 

• Options
    imageInternetExplorer:

I really don't see it this way. Obviously this woman is a big part of Maddy's life right now, so why wouldn't he want to document it on his blog? Even if their relationship doesn't go the distance, I don't see what harm if would be for Maddy to know about a nice lady her dad was with for a time and she had fun with. Obviously if he starts man-whoring it up, and his blog becomes a dating journal that would be gross, but I don't see that happening.

• Options
    imagelanie30:

Matthew would be completely on board with me marrying Sidney Crosby. He'd probably haunt me just to have good seats at the new arena. And he wants Joseph to be a center forward, so he would see this as a good move for our son, as well. Okay, I'm revamping my answer. I will remarry Sidney Crosby...or possibly Mario Lemieux.

• Options
    I honestly have no idea what I would do. I hope I never have to face that. As, for Matt Logelin, I've never been in his shoes but I think that the rest of his life is a long time to be as lonely as he has sounded in the past on his blog.
  • Options

I would remarry if I found the right person again, and if I thought they were capable of being a great father figure for dd.  DH has said he won't remarry, and he would NOT want me to remarry.  I hate hearing him say that, I feel like it's very selfish and places me in a horrible position if I were to ever find someone new.  I would also hope for him to remarry.  I'd like him to find someone to love, and someone who would love him and DD the way I would. 

About Matt, I think it's great for him.  In the comments section, he posted about Liz's family and said they were already aware of the new relationship and are happy for him.  I don't get why this would bother anyone, honestly.  (At least anyone who doesn't know him personally, I get why it would bother close friends/family)  He deserves to be happy, and Maddy deserves a wonderful mother figure.

• Options

Matt wrote in the comment sections of that entry that Liz's parents were happy for him and will always be in their lives

• Options
    imageMrsVictoriaB:

Matt wrote in the comment sections of that entry that Liz's parents were happy for him and will always be in their lives

I guess I'm not seeing how my mother would be affected by seeing Joseph happy and dating again after my death.

I also can't see how anything that brings happiness would make the pain of losing a child worse.

It's a blog. and while I wasn't a fan of his in his "look at what other presents I got" phase, I like that he's real.

image Josephine is 4.
  • Options
  • Options
    imageInternetExplorer:
    imagelanie30:
    imageMrsVictoriaB:

I guess I'm not seeing how my mother would be affected by seeing Joseph happy and dating again after my death.

I also can't see how anything that brings happiness would make the pain of losing a child worse.

It's a blog. and while I wasn't a fan of his in his "look at what other presents I got" phase, I like that he's real.

because grief is not logical or linear.  And as a mom, you'd want your daughter back more than you'd want her widower to be happy.

I don't think he shouldn't date; I think he shouldn't be such an AW about it.

so he should just go on writing his blog and just leaving this new woman in his life out of it completely?  that would be weird.  

either way, i'm glad he's found some happiness again.  and thank god liz's parents are understanding and happy for him and maddie as well. 

and he being happy =/= forgetting liz.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"