Pennsylvania Babies

blanket or no blanket??

My baby girl is almost 5 months old. She is still somewhat swaddled at night. (She becomes houdinni in the middle of the night.) We use a fleeece or cotton swaddle. Just wondering if anyone is using blankets on top of these or not??? I'm just afraid she will pull the blanket up over her face. As I said before, she is a houdinni and I'm thinking if I wrap the blanket underneath her, she will get it out too!!! Any suggestions???? Thanks !!

Re: blanket or no blanket??

• How about a sleep sack like this (halo) or similiar?  You can get them at BRU. DD has been sleeping in these since she broke out of the swaddle at 4.5 months. They also make a swaddle version, but at 5 months, your LO may be too old to justify the investment. 

• Ditto the Halo sleepsacks.  They're WONDERFUL, because they move with baby and let him/her have access to hands.
  • Loading the player...
  • My girl has used a halo since she was born since she never liked being swaddled. I totally agree that they are great because they move with baby and she can get at her hands. I would definately recomend having more than one, since my girl can slobber or spit up during nighttime feedings and it gets on them. I have two organic cotton ones and they wash so well. There are different sizes, I would think for a 5 month old you need a medium at least.
  • Definitely consider something other than swaddling. After a certain age swaddling interferes with their arms/hand/leg movement which they are suppose to be learning to use and coordinate. As pp mentioned sleep sacks are an option, though we've been using a fleece sleepysuit and receiving blankets. We just have the blanket no higher than top of shoulder when LO is laying down and the bottom is tucked under his bed. most of the time our DS has the cover pushed down with his arms over them anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sleep Sacs are wonderful - they come in different weights as well so you can get a fleecy one for winter and a light cotton one for summer.
  • And One Step Ahead sells Sleep Sacks with legs for when they start walking around in their cribs. That's right. My two year old still wears a fleece sleepsack over his fleece PJs. And he has blankets on top of that. His room gets COLD in the winter!

• DS is still using sleep sacks.  Around 1 year I thought about switching to a blanket, and we tried it a few times.  One day at daycare he managed to wrap the blanket around his head and fall asleep like that.  He has his own room in our daycare situation, so fortunately our provider went to check on him and found him like that.  He was all sweaty, but otherwise fine.  I've since decided that he might use a sleep sack until he goes to college (not really, but I have no idea how/when to make the transition).  Now he's going through a phase where he loves to pull blankets off of our couch and hide his head in them.  I think it'll be a while before we make the transition to blanket.  Maybe when he moves to a toddler bed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok, I'll be the Bad Mom and admit that my kids both use blankets and have for quite some time:) We use light cotton and/or knit blankets with holes, though Mia's are sort of whatever she grabs and wants to use now and I don't worry about her at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"