1st Trimester
Options

Poll:How many people plan on breastfeeding?

Just curious to see how many moms plan on breastfeeding? I will do a poll to make it easy. If you have already had children and have breastfed, what are some pros and cons or your honest opinons?

My main concern is that I will be working from home for the 6-8 weeks after baby is born and then go to work part time 3 days a week. I don't want to say that I don't have time, because I would feel terrible about that, but I am worried about not getting enough sleep and being stressed out and not taking good care of my body(health) which would affect baby.

[Poll]
https://mroelofs.blogspot.com Missed M/C on 3/3/2010 (My husbands birthday) Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Poll:How many people plan on breastfeeding?

• Options
    a huge pro for me (besides the antibodies) is that breastmilk is free, and formula is expensive. 
  • Options

1st daughter.. had a terrible time..

2nd daughter.had professional help went much much better, good experience.. did it for 6 months..

this baby. .def yes, for as long as I can..

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I BF my first and I will BF this one.

Pros: It's more convenient whipping out a boobie than it is to make up (and wash) bottles all the time.  It was great for bonding.  Your baby will get your antibodies.  I lost all my baby weight (and another 17 lbs.) really quickly.

Cons: It hurt like hell at first, but once you get it worked out, I think it's the best thing ever.

• Options

I will be off work for 12 weeks, so if it goes well I want to contine until at least 6 months and start weaning when we start introducing solids.  If it is a real struggle and causing stress I will not continue once I go back to work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Pros - Huge $$$ savings, and burning lots of calories!

Cons - A big commitment, but well worth it.

• Options
    I had no supply with my son and was forced to formula feed.  I'm hoping for better luck this time around but won't feel bad if it doesn't work out again. 
  • Options
    Yes...!  It's free, more convenient and the bonding I hear is incredible.  I'll do it for as long as I can. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I think I am going to at least try it while I'm on maternity leave. I have never been a big pro-breastfeeding person, but have been convinced by friends b/c of the benefit to the baby.

I don't know if I'll continue once I go back to work, we'll just take it as it comes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did with my first.  To be honest, it was not a great experience but DS was just not a good eater until we started solids.  I am thinking I will give it a shot with this one as well.  However, if it turns out to be as hard/stressful as it was with DS, I will just stop.  I felt too guilty stopping with DS and kept it up despite being miserable with it.  Fortunately, I have come to learn that formula is just fine too (and can be better for your mental health if BFing is not working out).  So if it works, it works... if not, bring on the formula!!  :)
  • Options

Breastfeeding is a lot of work and for most gets easier as the time goes on. However, BF does not work for everyone so just keep that in mind. Sometimes you can have a baby that will latch perfect but the mother does not have the supply needed. Or the mom has all the supply she needs plus some but the baby for what ever reason (and there can be many) can not BF.

I think that if you want to BF then give it a try. Have a support system with you. If things do not work out maybe go to pumping so baby can have the milk. If all fails its ok. The important thing is that your baby is getting food wither that be BM or formula.  

Photobucket
  • Options
    Just a side note for those saying BF is free, its not. It may not be as expensive as formula feeding, but its not free. You will need pads because you will leak, if you are going back to work you will need a pump and that is not cheap, along with the pump you will need bottles etc....nursing tanks cost money too. 
    Photobucket
  • Options

Sure will.  I BF'd DD for 18 months.

Pros: It's great bonding, it's convinient, it's free, it helps you lose PG weight, it's awesome for baby, it's awesome for YOU healthwise too.

Cons: Pumping at work blows. But it's do-able.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageTexasLadyBug:
    Just a side note for those saying BF is free, its not. It may not be as expensive as formula feeding, but its not free. You will need pads because you will leak, if you are going back to work you will need a pump and that is not cheap, along with the pump you will need bottles etc....nursing tanks cost money too. 

You're absolutely right, but you would need bottles if you formula feed too.  And you'll make up the cost of the pump over time.  And you can use the pump with more than one kid, so while you're right, it's not free, I do think it is more cost effective than formula feeding.

• Options

imageTexasLadyBug:

I didn't pay for any of those things with DD.  I got washable pads, nursing tanks & bottles at my shower.  The hospital gave me Soothies pads.  My boss bought me my pump.  For me, it was free.  Sure it's not the case for everyone, but I wanted to clarify that when I say free, I mean free.

• Options
    Despite all the horror stories I've heard, I'm so excited to BF!!
  • Options

I tried with both of my DDs. With DD #1 she would not latch on, I tried and tried and we just couldn't get it. So I did switch to formula. DD #2 we did great for the first month but she wasn't gaining the weight so they wanted me to supplement with formula and once I did that she slowly didn't was to BF anymore. It is painful in the beginning but its good for them and its cheap for you!

DD#1: Caroline March '05 DD #2: Ashlee November 07 DC #3: Angel Baby Missed m/c @ 10 weeks Sept '09 DS #4: Oct '10 DC #5: EDD June 24, 2013
  • Options

imageTexasLadyBug:

Agreed.  You definitely save money in the long-run; however BFing does come with its fair share of expenses.  I know a lot of woman that have paid $300+ for a pump and not even a month because BFing did not work for them. 

LOL.  You forgot the costs of the doctor visits/medicine for mastitis.  Uggggh.  That was horrible.  I do not wish that upon any of you!!

• Options
    I plan to breastfeed.  This is my first, so I have no experience to share, but everything I've heard touts the benefits of going that way.  So, unless there is a physical reason I can't, that's what I plan to do.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm definitely planning on it. A little nervous about the painful boobs, but so excited about the bonding time.
  • Options

I'm planning on breastfeeding.  It's great for the baby and great for bonding.

I have four months of maternity leave so that's awesome, and I plan on pumping at work.  I'm going to talk to my boss about a lactation room since I don't believe there is one in the office and I do not believe the is a law requiring this in Michigan, but my company is supposed to be one of the best for working moms so we shall see.  If there's no room, I'll be forced to whip out my bewbs at my desk (kidding!) or do it in the bathroom stall. 

• Options
    imagelovemydog:

imageTexasLadyBug:

You're absolutely right, but you would need bottles if you formula feed too.  And you'll make up the cost of the pump over time.  And you can use the pump with more than one kid, so while you're right, it's not free, I do think it is more cost effective than formula feeding.

Yes, you would need bottles for FF anyways, but that was not the point of my post. The point was that for most people unless you are given everything such as the pump,pads etc..like the other poster stated. BF is not just free. And yes in the end BF if more cost effective.  

Even if you did have someone give you a pump for free, you will still have cost if you are freezing your milk. You will have the cost of freezer bags. Yes they are freakin cheap but its still a cost and three for does not = free. 

When I BF I also had to add the cost of a LC because I need help and my insurance did not cover 100% of the LC cost.

Photobucket
  • Options
    Physically, breastfeeding has benefits even more so than just being awesome for the baby... it helps your uterus to shrink back, it helps you to lose the baby weight, it's cheap, the hormones you release help you to bond with the baby (it sends love signals to your brain), etc. It's like liquid gold. I figure we are designed to do this for a reason, aside from all of the documented benefits for the child. Even when I can't breastfeed, I intend to pump so that the baby is still getting breast milk.
  • Options

As a certified breastfeeding educator, I have to say how happy it makes me to see such a high percentage of Moms who plan to at least give it a shot!

I will definitely be BFing.

• Options
    I BF'd DD for 13 months.  I did it for her, not me.  I worked full-time from 12 weeks on.  It was a lot of work for the 13 months.  I was happy to have my body back when it was done, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I will do the same thing this time.  But instead of being so fearful of losing my milk I am going to find a better balance between my milk and exercising to get back in shape.  I will listen to my body.
  • Options
    imageRyleigh:

imageTexasLadyBug:

Agreed.  You definitely save money in the long-run; however BFing does come with its fair share of expenses.  I know a lot of woman that have paid $300+ for a pump and not even a month because BFing did not work for them. 

LOL.  You forgot the costs of the doctor visits/medicine for mastitis.  Uggggh.  That was horrible.  I do not wish that upon any of you!!

Yes, I was about to add that. I had a friend who was always in the office for mastities, talk about painful. I had another friend who had to cut everything out of her diet and slowly add thing in until she found what it was her LO was not liking in her diet. BF is not always a walk in the park.  

Photobucket
  • Options

imageTexasLadyBug:

Compared to spending almost $100 in formula a month, breastfeeding is way cheaper!  You  can use reusable pads that last forever and I survived with 2 nursing tanks and 3 nursing bras all purchased for under $100.  They are still usable now for my second baby.

Some insurance companies cover the cost of a pump and compared to formula, you get your money's worth by the 2nd-3rd month of breastfeeding anyway.

• Options
    I plan on BFing & hope that the little Pikachu will co-operate.  The plan is to do it for the first 6 months. I understand it will be painful but in the end it's best for the baby.  If it doesn't work out we will do formula.  I just want my child to have one up before facing all the germs in daycare.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I breastfed my DD for 17 months and will definitely be breastfeeding this baby as well. It was the best part of having a baby, for me. I will mention that it was not just a "breeze" for me...DD had reflux forever which caused a lot of trouble, I had to work hard to increase my supply during a couple growth spurts, and I got mastitis at around 15 months and still pressured on. Sure, it can be tough at times, but in the end it was well worth it for me.

Not only is it so healthy for the baby (DD was sick FAR less than her formula-fed friends), but I lost the baby weight with no trouble whatsoever. It's also cheaper and much more convenient than having to mix/heat/carry bottles.

I would encourage anyone to try. There are typically resources at the hospital who can help you get started (our hospital offered lactation consultants and meet-ups after you went home from the hospital). I also found a lot of support and tips online. You don't have to be "alone" even if you don't have the support or help of family/friends.

• Options
    imageTexasLadyBug:

Even if you did have someone give you a pump for free, you will still have cost if you are freezing your milk. You will have the cost of freezer bags. Yes they are freakin cheap but its still a cost and three for does not = free. 

You can freeze the milk in your ice cube trays and then transfer those into your tupperware.  What can I say?  I'm insanely cheap. lol

• Options

I will for a time.  I BF DS for 12 months. 

This time I plan to do it exclusively for a while, but then introduce some bottles of a DHA fortified formula.

• Options

I'm going to try!

• Options
    I am still BF my son, he is almost 17 months. I am going to try to wean him at 18 months to give my body a little break before I have the next one. It was very hard at first, but after about 6 weeks it was very enjoyable for both of us. I think it will be harder on me to wean then for him, I love our snuggle/nursing time together in the morning!
  • Options

I guess I'm the odd one out.  i did not BF DD and I don't plan to BF this one either.  You really have to want to do it.

To the PP who said that BF kids get sick less often, I disagree,  I think it's genetic.  My FF DD never ever gets sick and a lot of her friends who were BF  get sick all the time.  Plus, DD and I are extremely bonded, even though I did not BF.

I think BF is a wonderful thing for those that are committed and want to do it.  But for those that don't, it's ok too :)

image image

• Options
    I will try and see how it goes for the 12 weeks I am off. I will see how it goes when I go back.
    DS has acid relux and milk protein allergy, and had torticollis, used to EP, now we FF . April siggy 3-6 month
    We're Finally Three imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Born 7lb, 15oz, 21-1/4, 2 mo - 12lbs, 14oz. 25", 3mo - 14lb, 4oz 26in , 4 mo - 16lb, 1oz, 26 3/4 in, 5 mo 18 lb, 4oz 27-3/4 in, 6 mo 28 3/4 in 19lb, 14oz
  • Options
    imageDobie_Mama:
    imageTexasLadyBug:

You can freeze the milk in your ice cube trays and then transfer those into your tupperware.  What can I say?  I'm insanely cheap. lol

I have to say you are super crafty, lol. I am pretty sure that with what ever I come up with you are going to have a crafty answer. I am some what tempted just to learn more, lol. 

Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't mean this to be attacking, but I have to say choosing not to breast feed is selfish. I don't care if it is uncomfortable, feeding your baby is a part of mother and no matter the quality of formula you use, it will never be as good for your baby as breast milk. Breastfeeding is the BEST thing you can do for your child. There are countless benefits and it doesn't just end with the antibodies either, it plays a large role in their cognitive development.
  • Options
    I don't know about breastfeeding the all natural way but I will breast pump for sure. My breasts are very tender even without being pregnant but I will give it a shot.
  • Options
    imageTexasLadyBug:
    imageDobie_Mama:
    imageTexasLadyBug:

I have to say you are super crafty, lol. I am pretty sure that with what ever I come up with you are going to have a crafty answer. I am some what tempted just to learn more, lol. 

LOL - EFF is my home board.  I have to give those girls credit for any & all reusable & thrifty tips.  

• Options

DS still nurses at naps and bedtime. I soooo didn't think I'd be nursing while pregnant, but I'm now thinking I may end up tandem nursing when this baby comes - yikes!

Breastfeeding can be hard in the beginning, but doing it long-term makes getting through the first month or two worth it. Having a support system is key, and it may be worth it to see if your hospital has lactation consultants on staff, or finding someone ahead of time just in case.

If you're working part-time after you go back to work, that'll make it even easier to breastfeed, as you won't have to pump full-time to keep up your supply. I worked full-time for a few months when DS was 4 months, and luckily it was flexible enough (and close enough to home) that DH would bring him to work to breastfeed a few times a day. Definitely not the norm, though!

And for people who are talking about the "hidden" costs - you don't have to buy a pump the second you give birth, especially if you're not sure you'll use it. Most hospitals rent them by the month. And considering formula can run up to the thousands of dollars in one year, I'd guess breastfeeding isn't nearly as expenisve, however you add it up...

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

imageIfferMarie:
    I do mean this to be attacking, but I have to say choosing not to breast feed is selfish. I don't care if it is uncomfortable, feeding your baby is a part of mother and no matter the quality of formula you use, it will never be as good for your baby as breast milk. Breastfeeding is the BEST thing you can do for your child. There are countless benefits and it doesn't just end with the antibodies either, it plays a large role in their cognitive development.

As a mother to a 2 year old who was FF, all i can say is that someone will always criticize your choices as a parent but we still do what's right for our family.  Whether its bfing, cosleeping, discipline, potty training, etc.  Its a shame when the criticism and judgment comes from another mom, but you'll see, something is always going to be judged.  And i remember from the first time I was pregnant what a big deal BFing was on the trimester boards, not so much later on though.  Trust me, my daughter is extremely intelligent, healthy, and close to me.  So, if I'm selfish for doing what was best for our family, I can live with that.

image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"