South Florida Babies
Options

OMG positive discipline worked!

A while ago I read Positive Discipline, and I really liked the theory so i've been practicing it.  It makes sense.  So, the first major issue was hitting.  When Alexis gets pissed she would hit me.  The theory is to tell her what to do, not what not to do.  So when she hits, grab her hand and say "nice" and show her how to touch my face nicely.  Ideally, I should catch her hand before she hits me and do it.  Well, it worked.  She now will catch herself before she hits and say "nice" and touch my face softly.  She's been doing it for about a week now, at first i thought it was a fluke but now she is consistently doing it. 

It does more than just saying "no hitting" does b/c it tells her what to do.  And saying "we don't hit" is silly b/c she just did.  

Thanks for letting me share my proud mommy moment.

image image

Re: OMG positive discipline worked!

• Options
    Great job, Mommy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's amazing!  It sounds very similar to some of the education books on behavior that I've read.  For example, a teacher should praise the positive behavior of a student next to the one that is demonstrating an undesirable behavior.  In that way, the other student should adjust their behavior to receive praise, too.  Of course, it doesn't always work and you have to try something else.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes  Awesome!

::taking notes from the mommy experts::

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    that's awesome, I'll have to look into that book!
  • Options
    That is wonderful leanna.
  • Options

Great suggestion! I'm definitely going to try this. Who is the author of the book?
    Quinn is definitely in this hitting stage when he gets upset and "no hitting" isn't working at all.
    Way to go Alexis :-)

• Options
    That's great.....and it sounds like a great book; note to self: put it on the to be read list...lol 
  • Options
    imageallison8878:

Great suggestion! I'm definitely going to try this. Who is the author of the book?
    Quinn is definitely in this hitting stage when he gets upset and "no hitting" isn't working at all.
    Way to go Alexis :-)

Positive Discipline The First Three Years (there's also a follow up, The Toddler Years) It's by Jane Nelsen, Cheryl Erwin, and Roslyn Ann Duffy

image image

• Options
    Congrats!!!
  • Options
    Isn't it the best feeling when something actually clicks with them??? CONGRATS!!
  • Options
    That's amazing!! Congrats :)

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That's so awesome! I'm gonna start trying that with Mikey. Smile
  • Options
    That's awesome! I'm sure I'll be adding that back to my lineup when the time for it comes. :)
  • Options
    That's awesome!!! I need to figure something out with Mateo quickly ;) He behaves great in school, but with us is another story.
  • Options
    Congrats Leanna! That is awesome. I need to read this book too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Options
    Yay Alexis! What a good girl :) Good job, Leanna.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Niiiiceee!!!
  • Options
    That is awesome!!! I think I like this positive discipline.....will be trying!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    That's awesome! We've been trying to do this as well.  My DH is having some trouble grasping the concept though.  LOL  It's good to hear it's working for you.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"