Birth Stories
Options

XP: what's best to wear in the hospital?

I'm just a few weeks away from my scheduled c-section and finally starting to pack a hospital bag. I'd rather not wear one of those scratchy hospital gowns for 4 days, but I'm at a loss for what to wear instead. I need something that won't make it really difficult to breastfeed. I also assume I need to be in a gown or robe as opposed to pajamas with pants (though at home I far prefer pajamas). What did you wear in the hospital? If you bought a nightgown or robe that worked well for you, where did you find it? Thanks!

Re: XP: what's best to wear in the hospital?

• Options

My sister had an emergency c-section, and she found it most comfortable to wear loose-fitting pajamas during her hospital stay, including sweatpants and tank tops. You don't have to wear a hospital gown for four days.

Another friend I visited after her c-section was in a nice blouse and some capri pants. (It was her 3rd c-section though...)

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I wore the hospital gown, though I was only there for 2 days.  They checked me a lot and if I would have had pants on it would have been annoying to have to pull them down all the time.  I'm not sure if they need to check your bottom parts with a c/s though. 

My friend just had a c/s and she was wearing a nursing tank and yoga pants when we went to visit her.  I would recommend nursing tanks and lots of them if you plan on nursing.  It's a pita to pull up your shirt all the time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

With DD, I brought so many outfits, but had so little energy to care that I just ended up wearing hospital robes the whole time. I only stayed for two days as well. But the only outfit I needed was something to go home in.

• Options
    I wore the hospital gown the first day, but after that I switched the pj pants and nursing tops. It as much more comfortable and easy to nurse in. 
  • Options
    I wore loose fitting pj bottoms and a button down shirt for pumping. I wouldn't pack any undies as the mesh undies are heaven and don't hurt the incision site.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Honestly, I wore what the hospital provided and was relatively comfy. You don't need undies, the mesh ones are awesome. If you really hate the idea of wearing the hospital gown, I would recommend a different gown. It was pretty much unbearable to have anything touch the incision, and they come and look at it periodically.
  • Options
    I wore yoga pants and a nursing tank and was super comfy.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

One, I don't know if you were planning to but don't bother packing underwear. They will give you these mesh numbers that are VERY gentle on your incision and you will want to stuff as many of them into your bag as you can on your way out of the hospital. Don't feel bad, you're paying for it anyway.

They shouldn't care what you're wearing after they get you out of bed to shower probably the morning after your C-section.  You don't have to just wear you're gown though it IS easy to BF with it.  I would definitely bring pajama pants/sweats/yoga pants, anything that is stretchy and the waistband falls higher than your incision. You may want to bring some of your maternity pants since they will probably rest higher on your belly.  You won't want anything rubbing against your incision, or, if you have staples, pulling on them.  You might want to get some nursing tanks (I've seen Glamourmom ones in the maternity section at BRU for a lot less than I found them anywhere else) or at least some of those sleeping nursing bras you can get from Motherhood Maternity. 

They will want you to get out of bed and walk as much as you're comfortable with to promote proper healing.  I'm pretty sure I mostly wore my maternity pants or sweats, and my hospital gown with my nursing bra underneath.  I definitely wanted pants on because otherwise my butt would be hanging out of the back of the gown. 

They will give you non-slip socks to wear, or you can bring slippers, that's up to you.  Slippers would be more comfortable and more like home.  I got a robe for Christmas two days after DD was born but I'm glad I didn't have it with me.  It is off-white and my lochia still seemed pretty heavy to me (C/S or no), and that's just bad news. 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    I would recomend not trying to wear pants for at least a couple days. It hurt me to lift my legs to even put on the mesh panties, I had to constantly have the nurses come in and help me when I had to go to the bathroom for the first few days.  I wasnt able to wear pants for a week, and then it was only very stretchy yoga type pants that were much higher than my incision.  I packed a robe which came in handy, but besides my going home outfit the robe is probably the only clothing I used the whole time.  The mesh underware you get at the hospital are not pretty but they are sooooo comfortable for the incision and they are ideal for those giagantic pads you get to wear.  But really, the only thing you will be thinking about is your baby and keeping yourself comfortable so that you can care for the baby.  Oh and if you have slippers, bring them.  My feet were so swollen for the first few days that the socks they gave me actually cut off my ciculation and made my feet purple.  Hope that helps!  GL
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think I am going to go with loose jammies... seems like the most logical choice to me.
    BFP #1 4/2/09 EDD 12/6/09 -MC 4/12/09 BFP #2 6/2/09 EDD 2/14/10 -Ectopic in Tube, Surgery 6/23/09 BFP #3 10/15/09 EDD 6/27/10 -Daniel John 6/21/10 BFP #4 Oct 2010 Chemical Pregnancy BFP #5 8/19/11 Beta #1 82.8 Prog 17.25
  • Options
    I ended up wearing a tank top during most of my hospital stay and by the time I left the hospital I wore a pair of very comfy lounge pants home. I mainly had the gown and tank top on though.

• Options
    I was in a hospital gown for about 30 minutes and then asked if I could just wear my own clothes, lol.  So I just wore henley nightgowns and they were perfect for BFing.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"