3rd Trimester
Options

Did anyone fast before 1 hour glucose test and still fail it?

If so, what were the results of the 3 hour test?  Thanks!

Re: Did anyone fast before 1 hour glucose test and still fail it?

• Options
    Me!  I fasted and failed the one hour.  But passed the three hour with flying colors.  Its common.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I fasted for both.

Failed 1 hr.

Passed 3 hr.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've never heard of fasting before the 1 hour.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Me! I failed my one hour I take my 3 hour next week.
  • Options
    crap!  I fasted before my 1 hour last week too... I wonder if it is bad to fast for it with all of these fails?  anyone know if fasting could be bad for the 1 hour?  I dont want to do the 3 hour again!  ( last preg I failed 1 hour and ate, and passed 3 hour.. ugh)
  • Options
    Me!  I didn't purposefully fast before the 1 hour, but it was early in the morning so I hadn't had anything except the glucose drink, and I failed.  Just had my 3 hour test a couple of days ago and I passed! 
  • Options
    I fasted for the 1 hour--- was told by my OB and lab worker that I needed to fast.   I failed it with a 200 so I didn't take the 3 hour.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageBelhurstBride:

I took it yesterday and the bottle of orange stuff actually said on the bottle that you are supposed to fast before doing it.  They gave me this look like I was crazy when I told them I hadn't fasted.  But I told them my Dr. had told me not to..

• Options

imageBelhurstBride:

With my first two PG's we lived in a different state and my DR's told me to fast.  With baby #2 I barely passed and they were concerned because I had sugar in my urine at a few appointements too.  Anyway, they decided I was fine, and both babies were born full term at 7lb 6 oz, so I think their judgement was right.

This time my midwife told me to eat before the test, but I thought to myself, "no way."  IF I barely passed it when fasting, why would I eat before then there is no way I would pass it. Anyway, I flunked even with fasting.  So, just wondering what this may mean.

• Options

imageBelhurstBride:

Me either. I was told to eat scrambled eggs and water beforehand. So I did. I find out the results soon since I just went in yesterday for it.

• Options
    Me!  I've been told that might have actually been a bad idea.  I ended up passing the three hour though.
  • Options
    As a lab tech I can tell you the traditionally GTT generally requires fasting before the test, I was shocked when they told me I didn't need to, as were my coworkers.  I was super paranoid about eating before, but since my appoint wasn't until 12:30 I had an egg and a cheese stick that morning - no sugar or carbs!  If anything eating beforehand should make your glucose even higher.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My doc said not to fast...  but I'm in China so they may be using a different test than in the states.  My drink isn't orange, it's just a powder that I mix with water 1 hour before my appointment next week.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Options
    Yes. But I passed my 3 hour with flying colors as well!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    did you pass? what did your doctor tell you? mine didnt tell me to, or not to,  i havent taken mine yet suposed to in 2 weeks..
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I did and failed the one hour, fasted with the 3 hour one too but passed. GL!!
  • Options

I don't think you're supposed to fast before the 1 hour, but I suppose it depends on the individual doctor/test.

Also, changing your diet before the test isn't going to affect the outcome. The test is finding out how your body processes sugar during pregnancy. That's not going to change regardless of what/how you eat before the bloodwork is taken. 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    I also fasted and failed the 1 hour glucose test. I have my 3 hour on Monday morning.
  • Options

imageBelhurstBride:

This. I asked the nurse about fasting before the test, because my mom told me thats what she had to do for her test (back then it was a 12 hour she said) and the nurse looked at me like I was crazy. I passed the 1 hour without fasting.

• Options
    I didn't fast either. My midwife told me just not to carb load in the morning. I had scrambled eggs and past just fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was specifically told NOT to fast before the 1 hour. They told me to eat something with protein and complex carbs for breakfast so I had eggs and whole wheat toast.

I passed with an 85. 

• Options
    My DH is a doc and told me the best way to pass is drink a ton of water before and during the test.  I fasted also, although it was not required, just no carb loading as others have mentioned.  I can't even tell you how much water I drank.  About 100 oz between 5 am and 10 when the blood test happened.  I passed no problem.  Good luck!
  • Options

fasted before 1 hour and failed

did not fast before 3 hour and passed

Good Luck

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"