Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Length of crib skirt if I want it to touch the ground?

I am having my crib skirt made and I want it to touch the ground. When the mattress is at the highest point, does anyone know what the length of the crib skirt should be? I believe the standard crib skirt is 15" or less. But when the crib is at it's highest point, the skirt does not touch the ground. I am having my seamstress make it so that I can move the crib skirt up when I move the mattress down.

OR... If anyone has the Jenny Lind crib, can you measure the length from the top of the spring to the floor when the mattres is at it's highest position? :) We don't have our crib yet. Thanks in advance!! 

Re: Length of crib skirt if I want it to touch the ground?

• Options
    Just out of curiosity what are you doing to do when you need to lower the mattress?  All my friends say it will need to be lowered between 4-7 months.  I am curious because I am trying to decide myself what length to get.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagebancbev:
    Just out of curiosity what are you doing to do when you need to lower the mattress?  All my friends say it will need to be lowered between 4-7 months.  I am curious because I am trying to decide myself what length to get.

This. Wouldn't it be better to have it a little off the ground for the first couple of months than to have it crumpled up on the floor?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found directions on how to have it touch the ground when it's at it highest AND lowest setting. I love this idea! But she doesn't list what dimensions she used for the skirt. Here's the link: https://urbangraceinteriors.typepad.com/the_blog/2009/07/the-nursery-diaries-chapter-5.html.
  • Options
    imagebiddybaby:

imagebancbev:

This. Wouldn't it be better to have it a little off the ground for the first couple of months than to have it crumpled up on the floor?

I would actually rather have it off the ground the first 5-6 months than have it laying on the ground for the next 12 months.  We had to lower the crib for my 1st son at about 5 months because he could sit up.  And lower it again at 8 months because he could pull to standing. 

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imageMIstyA85:
    I found directions on how to have it touch the ground when it's at it highest AND lowest setting. I love this idea! But she doesn't list what dimensions she used for the skirt. Here's the link: https://urbangraceinteriors.typepad.com/the_blog/2009/07/the-nursery-diaries-chapter-5.html.

That is a great idea, I wish I had known about that before I ordered my skirt. The skirt lengths I have seen are 14 inches and 20 inches. Do you have the crib or access to it so that you could measure the distance from top to floor?

• Options

I made mine 15" and in just dusts the ground.  If you want it to pool on the ground I would make it 16"+.

Heather

• Options

imageMIstyA85:

I found that same website and that's how I made mine.  It's an awesome idea.  I was actually going to suggest that earlier to you!  I think mine was a little less that 15" but that's because my crib is pretty low to the ground.  I think if you had her make it around 16-17" you would have plenty to work with!

• Options

I bought 20" for both DDs' skirts, b/c I didn't want the gap for the first SEVERAL months before the mattresses need to be lowered.

Once we lowered DD's mattress, I just tucked the excess length between the spring and the mattress, so the hem still touches the floor.

• Options
    Not a Jenny Lind but I ordered an 18" crib skirt to account for the highest setting and will just tuck it under as the mattress moves down.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Still not sure what crib skirt to get.... seems like probably between 15" and 20". I'll just have to wait until I get the crib. But yes, I love the idea (on the blog) too! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"