Birth Stories
Options

Repeat c/s or VBAC?? long

I know there is a similar post about this a few posts down but I keep going back and forth about wether or not to have a repeat c/s or to VBAC. 

My story: 

I went into labor on the afternoon of my due date and when they checked me at the hospital around 5pm - I was 4cm dialated and completely effaced.  However, my dr. said I wasn't in active labor and she sent me home. 

I went home and my contractions got much worse after a few hours so I returned to the hospital later that night (8-ish) to find out I was still the same - 4cm.  So my doctor broke my water and put me on pitocin.  I progressed fairly quickly and was almost 10 cm by 12:30am - however I still had a "lip" of my cervix left so they wanted me to start pushing so that DD would begin to labor down and I would be a complete 10 cm - when I pushed I was able to be at a complete 10. 

I pushed for over 3 hours and really made no progress, DD wasn't dropping and I still wasn't a complete 10 cm (unless I was pushing).  They turned my epidural off and I pushed for another half hour - with still no progress - I was in so much pain at that point that the anesthesiologist(sp?) redid my epidural but overdid it and I became too numb- I couldn't even feel my legs, it was so much so that my BP dropped way too low - to the point where I almost blacked out and DD's heartrate dropped very low - and they had a team nurses and doctors swarm into the room - at that point my doctor did something and her heartrate returned to normal. 

After all this my doctor examines me and says:  "oh she's sideways/transverse - no wonder she hasn't descended or you haven't fully dialated, let me try the forceps and if that doesn't work we'll have to go to a c/s."

So she tries the forceps twice but at this point I was too numb too push :(  and at that point I went in for a c/s.

I wish she had come in earlier and I feel stupid for not asking her to come in earlier to check me and see what was going on.  I was naive and have heard lots of stories of women pushing for hours before giving birth.  I always wondered if I could have pushed and been successful with the forceps???

However, the next day after my c/s she tells me my pelvis was convergent(too narrow) for the size of DD's head to pass through (DD was 8.6) and that the next time around she would recommend a repeat c/s. 

So a couple of months ago, whe I go in for my 8 week pregnancy appt with #2 she tells me I can try a VBAC if I want too.  What??????  When I mention to her the remark about my pelvis being convergent she says - "well there may be something about the shape of your pelvis and the size of the baby that may make a vaginal birth difficult for you - but you can always try a VBAC if you want to."

I just feel so confused.  I don't want to have another traumatic labor like my first, I have been reading up on VBAC's and repeat c/s but I just don't know if I am getting the correct information from my doctor.  She will let me do either but I'm not sure either way.

If you've read this far then thanks so much - I would appreciate any words of advice.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image

Re: Repeat c/s or VBAC?? long

• Options
    I have a hard time imagining that your DD was all the way transverse without anyone noticing and all that pushing you were doing.  When your cervix is checked you should be able to tell if the baby is head down because you can feel the sutures in the skull, especially if you water is broken.  Maybe her head just wasn't presenting straight?  If she was truly transverse, I would be pissed no one picked up on it sooner.  And if it were me, based on that I would opt for a repeat c-section.
  • Options

I know she was head down but her head was not turning like it should to descend.  However, my doctor has used the word transverse/sideways more than once when talking about DD's birth.  I don't know why - I'm going to ask at my next appt.  I know her whole body wasn't sideways, they tried to use forceps, her head was where it should be,

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I haven't had a repeat c/s, but of my friends who have multiple kids, they all agree that a scheduled repeat c/s is much easier than the firs tone they had after vaginal birthing gone wrong. If it's an issue with your pelvis, I would probably go with repeat c/s.

I had a scheduled c/s with DD partly because I have a broken tailbone, and couldn't get an x-ray while pregnant to see if its position would be vaginal-birth friendly. I am leaning towards repeat c/s with any future kids, although I am getting an x-ray before I get pregnant again so I can make a more informed decision.

• Options

first, I am so so sorry you had to go through all of that.  I don't fault you for not wanting to do that again!

Second, if I were you, I would find a new dr.  Your dr seems very all over the place and I don't know that I trust her.  I don't like that she made it sound like  your body is broken, when I am sure it is not.

third, I would bet that your babys head wasn't turned the right way which is actually very common if you water is broken instead of breaking on its own.  Your water will usually break when your baby is in the position he needs to be in to be born and if it is broken prematurely, baby can't manuver into the right positon.  I am pretty firmly against artifically rupturing membranes for this reason (plus it puts you on their clock).

fourth, if you want a VBAC, I say VBAC.  Recovery is a million times easier (especially with a toddler at home) plus it is safer for your baby, and in my opinion, for you too.

If you choose VBAC though, I think you have to be very irm in your choice and do your research.  There is a lot of misinformation about VBAC out there and if you are not educated, then I think it is easy for things to go differentlty than you want.

I VBAC'd in August and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

This is a very personal decision that only you can make. 

Like one of the PP's said, your OB sounds very wishy washy on the subject, though I do think it's great that she is encouraging you to attempt a VBAC.  I personally don't see how they can tell you what the shape of your pelvic opening looks like without some kind of imaging like an MRI or X-ray.  I imagine there is way too much viscera in the way to get a good look at it during a C/S.  Also, it is possible for your pelvic joints to soften/widen in pregnancy, so even if that was the case with your last pregnancy, it may not be the case now.

Did they diagnose you with CPD?  That typically has a lower VBAC success rate, but it is still over 50% (closer to 60).  But your doctor also said the baby was positioned poorly. 

My main suggestion is that, if you decide to attempt a VBAC, consider hiring a doula.  They may be able to help you with some different positions during labor that might get the baby into a better position than your first.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options

I had a similar experience.  I went the full 10cm and pushed for 3+ hours, attempted forcepts etc.  But no luck.  Doctor said she had turned her head and wouldn't have come out.  I ended up with a C-Section as well.  I was very disappointed and recovery was very difficult for me. 

I'm going for a VBac this time around.  And I firmly believe what the pp stated about breaking the water.  I was fine until they did that and I think it just pushed everything too quickly.  I changed doctors and hospitals so fingers crossed....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"