3rd Trimester
Options

Circumcision - Covered by insurance?

Hello!

Just wondering if circumcision is covered by insurance in general.  Since the doctor keeps pointing out that it is "not medically necessary, I am assuming it will not be.  Just curious what others found, and what the cost was if not covered.

Thanks!

Re: Circumcision - Covered by insurance?

• Options
    I just asked my insurance, and they said it is...I have UnitedHealth-Medica. Some insurances consider it "cosmetic surgery" so they don't cover it...I'm so relieved that mine covers it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine does, but I called to verify first because I have friends who paid out of pocket.
  • Options
    I have Anthem, and they cover it if it's done during the hospital stay after he's born.  The only co-pay is the regular deductible for the hospital stay as a whole.
  • Options

imageJennicap:
    More and more insurances will not cover it, you need to call to make sure it is covered.

This. Call and check. Ours was not covered and it cost about $600.

• Options
    Our insurance doesn't cover, it will cost around $300.
  • Options
    Mine's covered -- but not as a part of my delivery co-pay -- it's considered a separate surgical procedure. I  believe my co-pay is around $100-150 for it.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Some insurance companies will cover it if you get it done before you are discharged from the hospital. However, since more and more parents are deciding not to circumcise their sons a lot of insurance companies are no longer covering it. If this is something you want done I would call the insurance company so you are not surprised by a large bill.
  • Options
    Mine is covered by our insurance.
  • Options
    Our insurance (Aetna HMO) covered it for DS.

imageimage
    Zachary Ryan - 1/13/08 - 6lbs 15oz, 20.5 inches
    Lilia Rose - 5/11/10 - 8lbs 6oz, 21 inches
    imageimage
  • Options
    You need to call your insurance. Some insurances won't cover it and if yours doesn't you need to check with your hospital to get the cost because cost depends on each hospital
  • Options

My insurance said that it's covered if it's done within 30 days of birth.  We were told it costs between $400-600 (depends on if it's done in the hospital or at the dr office).  Definitely call your insurance co...ahead of time!!

• Options
    Mine is covered.  As long as it's done within 30 days and by the pediatrician.
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS' was covered at the regular rates for hospitalization, but I agree w/everyone else.  You need to ask your insurance company.

• Options
    It is covered with mine and I have United Healthcare.
  • Options
    Mine was not covered with DS#1, and I think it was $700 (that was almost 2 years ago). My OB said circumcisions had decreased b/c not as many ins. companies were covering them. 
  • Options
    I actually had no idea, so I just called- Yes, it is covered...but there is a $200 co-pay.
  • Options
    Mine would not be, but I'm not having it done regardless.  If I really, really wanted it done, I'd be willing to pay for it and it would have no bearing on my decision (just to clarify, made the decision not to before we found out).
  • Options
    Just a warning- if you do not circumcise and you have a boy- be sure to check your hospital bill!  We were charged for circumcision even though we did not do it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"