Postpartum Depression

How do you know if you're headed to PPD?

I had my baby a week ago today and leaving the hospital was an emotional experience. Since then I find myself crying a lot daily and I'm just not myself. At my mother baby wellness visit earlier this week I broke down so the nurse put in a referral to the hospital's PPD social worker and now I'm just waiting her call. At what point does this no longer become the baby blues and become more serious?

Re: How do you know if you're headed to PPD?

• For me, I was getting worse as the days went on (I had severe PPA) - baby blues should gradually get better as the days go by. It doesn't hurt to talk to the social worker - s/he will be able to help you sort things out.

GL!

• I knew it was bad because every day was continually worse. By the time I was brought in to the doctor by DH, I was barely getting out of bed and kept crying that I had made a mistake and didn't want to live. It was the worst feeling ever. I never wanted to hurt DD or anything, but I did have horrible regretful feelings about having a baby. Very rough time. Once on Lexapro (20mg/day), it very gradually got better but I didn't feel anything close to normal for about three weeks.

I agree that you may feel better to talk to someone along with meds if you are interested. I did not talk to anyone because I was so embarrassed and in hindsight, I think that was a mistake. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Your not alone...I find myself crying everyday too and if someone asks how I'm doing I breakdown.  I had my baby almost 2 weeks ago and I'm going through the same thing. I dread the nights because that's when I am up with her the most. I love my new baby sooo much but I am having some emotional issues...don't know if it's just the hormones or what. It's gotten so bad that I barely eat at all....I have totally lost all my baby weight and then 10 lbs on top of it...normally that would be a good thing but it's a definte sign something is wrong with me because for me that is totally not normal.

Hopefully things will get better for us.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"