2nd Trimester
Options

Used breast pump? Help!

DH & I are on a tight budget for baby.  I am looking on ebay at a used Medela Pump in Style Original breast pump with about 10 extra accessories.  This retails for $399 and is listed on there for a fraction of the cost.  It comes with new tubing as well.  I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but is it okay to use a breast pump that was previously used?

imageimage

Re: Used breast pump? Help!

• Options
    Yes a used breast pump is fine as long as you buy new "personal parts" - the parts that actually touch your breast and the milk. You may also want to check craigslist, there are usually always Medela Pump In Styles for $100 to $200 on there.
  • Options

This is what I plan to do. I'll be returning to work so I'll need a good pump, but I plan to buy used and save my $$ for other things.

I'm sure some people wouldn't be comfortable with the idea, but I'm not one of those people!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagefussbucket:

This is what I plan to do. I'll be returning to work so I'll need a good pump, but I plan to buy used and save my $$ for other things.

I'm sure some people wouldn't be comfortable with the idea, but I'm not one of those people!

Thanks, I feel the same way!!  I have to go back to work after about 6 weeks and I work 12 hour shifts (as a nurse) so I have to pump but cannot afford to buy a brand new pump since DH is still in school.  So it comes with new tubing, should I buy new shields and valves or is there a way to ensure they are properly sterilized?

imageimage

• Options
    I have been researching/wondering the same thing. Major concerns I have read are that breast milk can get cycled into the motor system and be expressed during later uses risking infection/illness. However, speaking to my know-it-all live-in man ... he tells me this is nearly impossible. IDK. Why would it be a concern if it weren't possible?? I guess it is a gut call you have to make. I'd like to save the money so that it can be spent on other needed expenses but my friend that is currently nursing says that it is worth the added expense to have "your own" pump. Good luck with your decision... I'm not sure if there is an easy answer.
  • Options

imagedbravosgrl78:
    Yes a used breast pump is fine as long as you buy new "personal parts" - the parts that actually touch your breast and the milk. You may also want to check craigslist, there are usually always Medela Pump In Styles for $100 to $200 on there.

I am from a pretty small area, I have only seen one or two on Craigslist and they were still pretty expensive. I am trying to stay below $100 which this one is even with shipping!

imageimage

• Options

imageAmbersmurphy:
    I have been researching/wondering the same thing. Major concerns I have read are that breast milk can get cycled into the motor system and be expressed during later uses risking infection/illness.

What would be the difference from re-using your own pump as with a 2nd child? Or the rental units that hospitals offer? 

OP, if your CL traffic is slow, have you consulted Ebay?

• Options
    imagefussbucket:

imageAmbersmurphy:
    I have been researching/wondering the same thing. Major concerns I have read are that breast milk can get cycled into the motor system and be expressed during later uses risking infection/illness.

What would be the difference from re-using your own pump as with a 2nd child? Or the rental units that hospitals offer? 

That is where I found the one that is such a good deal!  I wanted some advice before bidding on it.  I don't really think it would be a difference than renting one from somewhere either!

imageimage

• Options
    I completely understand tight budgets but research shows that breast pumps are not meant to be reused.  It isn't about the tubing...it is about the bacteria in the pump itself.  Talk to a lactation consultant about this and they will all tell you the same thing.   Please do your research on this first!!!!  Pumps can be rented from hospitals as well as deals can be found out there.  Rental pumps are made differently....made to be reused.  I personally would make cuts to the budget elsewhere since it is a health risk.   (I say this as someone who was seconds away from clicking buy on Ebay once!)
  • Options
    imagefussbucket:

imageAmbersmurphy:

I asked this too and was given this answer...your bacteria is your bacteria..i.e. it is safe for your future pregnancies.   Rental pumps are not made like personal pumps therefore milk can not enter into the system.  They are made to be reused. 

• Options

Thanks for the info, noonie.

This site looks like it has a list of pump types that are safe to be re-used:

https://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml

• Options

imagenooniesgal:
    I completely understand tight budgets but research shows that breast pumps are not meant to be reused.  It isn't about the tubing...it is about the bacteria in the pump itself.  Talk to a lactation consultant about this and they will all tell you the same thing.   Please do your research on this first!!!!  Pumps can be rented from hospitals as well as deals can be found out there.  Rental pumps are made differently....made to be reused.  I personally would make cuts to the budget elsewhere since it is a health risk.   (I say this as someone who was seconds away from clicking buy on Ebay once!)

Ditto this.  I would NOT get a used breast pump.  The risk just isn't worth it, IMO.

• Options

imagenooniesgal:

This exactly.  And you don't necessarily need an expensive pump.  My best friend hated her medella pump and ended up ditching it for one that was only $40.  

• Options
    If you do go with a used pump, new tubing is really the only essential.  Throw the rest in the dishwasher.  The membranes (which are small) can go in a dishwasher bottle basket.
  • Options
    We are doing used from a family member.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"