Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

pacifiers

if im bf'ing...when do you think its too early to introduce a paci? I feel like at night alot, DD is just sucking more than actualy eating & swallowing. Its starting to hurt! But im concerned with nipple confusion....

Re: pacifiers

• Options
    Not sure how old your baby is but by two to three weeks they should be fine.  I read somewhere that soothie pacifiers are better for breastfed babies then the ones that are slanted on the ends because the soothie is more shaped like a nipple. 
  • Options
    imageturkishdelight:
    Not sure how old your baby is but by two to three weeks they should be fine.  I read somewhere that soothie pacifiers are better for breastfed babies then the ones that are slanted on the ends because the soothie is more shaped like a nipple. 

this and like you my LO want to suck more at night than really feed and if i do put him on he overfills and ends up spitting up. we give it only for a bit and he ususally falls back asleep, unless its close to the 2 hr mark and i know he is just hungry then
    BFP #1 May 2000 ~ Darren was born Jan 13, 2001 ~ 6lbs 2oz 191/2" ~ 39 wks due to low fluid, otherwise perfect pregnancy
    July 2004 abnormal pap, colposcopy and LEEP procedure ~ paps every 3 months all normal for 1 year
    2006 all clear to start TTC
    HSG Nov 2007 ~ all normal except mild left tube blockage
    BFP #2 Dec 2007 EDD sept 3 ~ missed m/c ~ Feb 14 2008 ~ 9wk 2d D&C
    BFP #3 Apr 2008 EDD Dec 10 ~ ectopic ~ May 2008 ~ 5wk 2d ~ emergency lap surgery, lost left tube
    BFP #4 Jul 2008 EDD May 5 ~ missed m/c ~ Aug 2008 ~ 5wk 2d D&C - trisomy 16
    RPL panel Aug 2008 ~ diagnosed with compound hetero MTHFR
    BFP #5 Nov 2008 EDD Jul 31 ~ blighted Ovum ~ Dec 2008 ~ 4wk 3d ~ natural m/c at home for my birthday
    BFP #6 Feb 2009 EDD Oct 15 ~ 4wk 3d ~ chemical pregnancy ~ Mar 2008
    BFP #7 May 18 2009 ~ Gabriel Michael ~ Jan 19, 2010 ~ 7lbs 2oz 21"
    TTC again since Jan 2011
    BFP #8 Jun 2011 EDD Jan 20 ~ 5wk 6d ~ missed m/c ~ D&C
    July - Hysterscopy removed some polyps, all clear for IUI with clomid
    Aug-Oct - IUI - with Clomid all BFN
    Nov-Jan - IUI - with femara and trigger = BFN
    back to TTC naturally on our own hoping for another miracle.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
    Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I EBF and introduced the Soothie on day 1. No confusion for DS. We now also have the Gumdrop, which is shaped like the Soothie, but doesn't fall out as much.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Breckin took a paci at the hospital and no confusion...same with my first dd
  • Options

we intro'd early cuz DD literally was causing me to bleed/alls she wanted to do was nurse (but not to eat);  so, it was w/in a week of being home from the hospital that we gave her a paci;  she had no problems/no confusion and only took it at night until I weaned her off

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our LO started using a paci while she was only a few days old. It helped us get a two our stretch of sleep while still in the hospital. She is still using int at 1 wk old and still nursing and taking the bottles fine :) I have actually found that the paci sometimes helps with her gas/hiccups too. The one that she latches onto the best are the Gerber paci's Gerber NaturalFlex Silicone Pacifier - Pink-green
  • Options
    My pedi said that there's no such thing as nipple confusion and to not worry about it.  I introduced the Soothie around 3 weeks, and, trust me, my LO is in no way confused by it.  She knows that it's not the real thing and spits it out.  lol  When she does suck on it for any period of time, it's because she's stressed out and trying to poop or fart.  It's her 'bullet' that she's biting.  lol
  • Options

I'm not sure if it's that we were too concerned about nipple confusion or if DS just doesn't like them, but we did not introduce a paci until about 3 weeks or so and he does NOT care for them.  The only time he will take one is when he is freaking out in the car seat in the car.  It's like it's his last resort.  I kind of wish we had tried one sooner because he uses me as a pacifier now.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options

i think nipple confusion is a load of malarkey.  my baby has latched like a little champ from day one, and took a pacifier in the hospital.

if you're concerned, let the baby suck on your pinky instead of a pacifier.  i found that my baby could do that more easily the first couple weeks.  she had some trouble (and still does) keeping the pacifier in her mouth during breaks from active sucking.

kiss it, nest.
  • Options
    I gave my little girl a pacifier the second day in the hospital and she is breast feeding just fine. One of the nurses says she will have nipple confusion but I wasn't listening to her. She had jaundice and was a little fussy under those lights so that was the only way I could sooth her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"