Multiples

Travel at 26 weeks?

Hi All-

My OB advised that I shouldn't travel after 32 weeks, but that before that it should be fine- but that seems kind of late to me. I want to take a beach trip before the babies to come since I want the weather to be warm I wanted to schedule later as long as it is safe. We will be driving about 7 hours each way. Do you think 26 weeks is too late to be traveling? Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Travel at 26 weeks?

• I was advised by my MFM that I should remain within a one hour radius of the hospital after 24 weeks (viability).  Having been on this board for some time now, I must say that a lot of ladies end up on bedrest or begin to have a more difficult time getting around by 26 weeks.  Many measure about 6-10 weeks ahead, so imagine that at 26 weeks you are going to feel like you felt at 34 weeks with a singleton.  It is a personal decision, but I would not make a 7 hour trip at 26 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure my OB would say no.  He said no to a 2 1/2 hour trip at 30 weeks.  I'm 25 wks now and I wouldn't want to be in the car for 7 hours, but I'm curious to see what other people say.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd say don't commit to any plans you can't get out of, but don't count yourself out.

Everyone is different. So, I'd see how you're feeling. When I was around 33 weeks I took a 2 1/2 hour trip to Wisconsin (Madison-ish) and my OB was totally fine with it. I felt fine, I wasn't dilating, I wasn't on bedrest, the babies were healthy, etc. I just brought a copy of my records with me "just in case".

Sure, the possibility exists that you might be on bedrest, but there's a good chance you won't be too. So, just make sure you can get your money back if you need to cancel and don't stress out about it. Make the call when you get closer to the date.

• My PTL issues started right around 28 weeks, out of the blue, so I would be a little nervous traveling that far by car. I had been taking it pretty easy before that too...working part time, had already gone down to 8 hour shifts at work, hardly on my feet at all, etc

I forget if it was on the bump or a friend of a friend IRL, but she was 25 weeks with twins and went on a trip a couple hours away from home. Her water broke and she delivered, and the babies had to be flown to the children's hospital. No signs of trouble beforehand.

If you do, I would know where all the hospitals are along the way, and make sure they have level III NICUs.

• We were 8 hours away by car when all hell broke loose for me at 20 weeks.  That drive back was unbearable. 

There is no way at 26 weeks that I would have wanted to travel that far.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageErinCB:

I'd say don't commit to any plans you can't get out of, but don't count yourself out.

This, definitely!

I drove 10 hrs to my shower at 25 weeks, felt great, enjoyed myself, and ended up on bedrest 1 week later so you just don't know but I was so glad that I did the shower even though everyone was on alert that I could end up cancelling at the last minute- just go see your OB within a couple days before the trip to make sure all looks good & you'll likely be ok! 

• I was admitted at 26 weeks for PTL, and up until then I had been feeling pretty well.  I would try to keep my plans open, and really just see how you feel. 
  • Both my MFM & OB said no travel after 24wks. I traveled at 22wk and 24wks by plane and it was miserable - I cannot even imagine being able to sit in a car for 7hrs at 26wks, even if your Dr ok'ed it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • 7 HOURS EACH WAY???  NO WAY!!!

I traveled to my baby shower at 26 weeks and it was 2.5 hours each way.  I wanted to die I was so uncomfortable.  Not to mention that you'd be so far away from your hospital if something happened.  Sorry, there is no way I could have done that. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. These were really helpful. You are such a great group!
  • imagemelp723:
    I was admitted at 26 weeks for PTL, and up until then I had been feeling pretty well.  I would try to keep my plans open, and really just see how you feel. 

This!

I was perfectly fine at my 24 wk appt, but then at my next appt I was having contractions and my cervix had started to seriously change.

I went on a vacation around 20 weeks and felt pretty safe about that.  But like someone else said, I was measuring around 28 weeks at the time.  OB highly recommended flying for comfort reasons, which I think was a great idea. We did buy trip insurance so that we could cancel for ANY reason.

• No way. At 26 weeks I was measuring 39 weeks and was miserable. I drove 3 hours to Birmingham and was in so much pain afterwards, no way I would drive 7 hours. Everyone is different, but I would honestly stick closer to home or go earlier.
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I posted a while back about taking a free trip to Disney World we received at 25 weeks. I talked about it with my doc and he said that we would have to fly (1.5 hour plane ride vs 10 hrs in the car) and that I should prepare myself for not being able to go at all if something happens between now and then. That being said, this is a free trip for us. If we were booking something that we would be paying for I would not make the plans. Can't you go earlier? I think the trip itself isn't so bad (you;d be resting most of the time) but the travel time is a deal breaker.
  • Kristyn&Ken,

I remember your post. And I actually told DH about you when we were evaluating options and the choice you had to make. I think we are going to try to do something earlier, and closer to home. I really love the idea of relaxing at the beach but I think the reality would be much different, that I would be miserable, chasing my DD around an condo and hating the car ride back and forth. And heaven forbid we need to fly the babies to a hospital. I really think I will be much happer going somewhere earlier. Thanks for the advise!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"