Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

What is considered a professional photo?

Sorry if this is a dumb question....  I want to enter Erica in a baby contest.  The winner gets a gift certificate to a local baby store.  The entry rules say no professional photos.  The photo in my sig was taken by a friend who is an amateur photographer.  I paid for her to take the photos and she gave me a CD with edited pictures and the rights to do anything with the pictures.  Is this considered a professional photo or can I use it in the contest?

Re: What is considered a professional photo?

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    you are fine. enter it.
    aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would say that's a professional photo.  You paid for a photographer to take them, edit them and give you the rights - that's a professional job.
  • Options

This is why I'm confused - the rules say: Professional photos are not eligible for this contest. By submitting a photo, you agree you own or have obtained all rights necessary to submit this photo and to authorize its use.

What does that mean??

• Options
    I would say it is a professional photo even though you have the rights to it.  You paid to have the picture taken vs. taking it yourself.
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagemfield:

This is why I'm confused - the rules say: Professional photos are not eligible for this contest. By submitting a photo, you agree you own or have obtained all rights necessary to submit this photo and to authorize its use.

What does that mean??

The "obtained rights" part would refer to pictures taken by your mother or a friend, or your ex if you are divorced, and that person has given permission for it to be used.

So while on that terms, your friend allowing you to do it would be within the rules, the fact that you paid for them and they are, thus, technically professional means they aren't. Now, it's unlikely they would find out about your friend being a semi-pro, so you could probably get away with it, but you'd be doing it knowing that if they did find out, you could be disqualified because of it.

• Options
    imageLoriFalce:
    imagemfield:

What does that mean??

The "obtained rights" part would refer to pictures taken by your mother or a friend, or your ex if you are divorced, and that person has given permission for it to be used.

So while on that terms, your friend allowing you to do it would be within the rules, the fact that you paid for them and they are, thus, technically professional means they aren't. Now, it's unlikely they would find out about your friend being a semi-pro, so you could probably get away with it, but you'd be doing it knowing that if they did find out, you could be disqualified because of it.

Thank you for the explanation!  I'll just submit a different photo.  I have very few with Erica actually looking at me, but there is one.  There's a lady's leg in the background....but at least they'll know that it's not professional!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"