Attachment Parenting
Options

Fvickidy Fvck - another possible allergen

Okay, so most of you know that we're wheat/egg/soy/dairy/fish free.

I bought a gluten free cereal (it's basically like Apple Cinnamon cheerios) & had a bowl yesterday. I also had a few tortilla chips with lunch. Both have corn ingredients.

Ari was restless last night but I didn't think anything of it b/c he's been teething. This morning? He's got a rash on his face. It's been gone since Monday. 

Christ all frighty, I seriously can't eat ANYTHING. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fvickidy Fvck - another possible allergen

• Options

So sorry Momma!!!

I am so impressed and empowered by you and your eating!  I have been  reading your journey and I cant help but be amazed at how you are dealing with all of this!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am so sorry that you are adding another allergen to the list.  You are awesome for hanging in there!  Do you eat chicken?  I read in a Dr. Sears book that lamb is not very allergenic. I don't know if you eat meat, though.

I remember seeing some recipies for "riced cauliflower" when I was pregnant and had GD.  You can use it to make pizza...obviously with no cheese for you. Depending on how it bakes...maybe use it as chips to spread hummus on.  The recipe was just to steam the cauliflower and then to use a processor or a grater to shred/grate it. I have eaten spaghetti squash "noodles" before...very good.  Is this a new allergy or was it masked by all of the other allergens before?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagerainlily:

I am so sorry that you are adding another allergen to the list.  You are awesome for hanging in there!  Do you eat chicken?  I read in a Dr. Sears book that lamb is not very allergenic. I don't know if you eat meat, though.

I remember seeing some recipies for "riced cauliflower" when I was pregnant and had GD.  You can use it to make pizza...obviously with no cheese for you. Depending on how it bakes...maybe use it as chips to spread hummus on.  The recipe was just to steam the cauliflower and then to use a processor or a grater to shred/grate it. I have eaten spaghetti squash "noodles" before...very good.  Is this a new allergy or was it masked by all of the other allergens before?

I didn't have him tested for corn. I rarely eat corn or anything w/ corn in it, so it didn't end up on the list of foods I suspected from our logs. Ugh. I guess I'll do a food challenge in a week & make sure it was the corn in that cereal. Geez.

• Options

It might not be the corn!  Do they contain vegetable oil?  vegetable oil = you guessed it; soy!

The organic tostitos are soy free but they're the only ones I can find. 

But I agree with the swears.   

• Options
    imagecubits:

It might not be the corn!  Do they contain vegetable oil?  vegetable oil = you guessed it; soy!

Nope, no soy or hidden soy ingredients. That was the 1st thing I thought of. 

• Options
    imagewebMistress0609:
    imagecubits:

Nope, no soy or hidden soy ingredients. That was the 1st thing I thought of. 

Damn! 

• Options
    Oh no! That is just not fair!
  • Options

My step-mom is allergic to corn, but in a weird way.  She can eat a bit of plain corn and popcorn, but corn chips, or things with fructose in them will make her break out into hives.

I don't know if Ari is the same way, but maybe he won't be allergic to just pure corn, I hope so for your sake :)

• Options

well, for the little to nothing that it is worth, you just made me feel much better about the real possibility that we are going to have to add Soy to our list of allergies for DS!  I keep telling people that the only thing I'm going to have left to eat is carrots...

You had him patch tested, yes?  I'm getting ready to call the allergist tomorrow and see if there is any effective testing they can do for DS....

• Options
    imageJennR:

well, for the little to nothing that it is worth, you just made me feel much better about the real possibility that we are going to have to add Soy to our list of allergies for DS!  I keep telling people that the only thing I'm going to have left to eat is carrots...

You had him patch tested, yes?  I'm getting ready to call the allergist tomorrow and see if there is any effective testing they can do for DS....

Yes, we had patch testing done. It's more accurate than scratch testing for a number of reasons, but still not 100%. You'll still have to food challenge any findings, but it can really help. Really strong positives or negatives are usually accurate - as with Ari's dairy & wheat. Soy was borderline to medium on him but he has a severe reaction to it when I eat it. Wheat rated a strong positive but seems to cause more eczema than digestive pain with him. We had done eliminations, but he was allergic to so many things & had delayed reactions, so it was hard to tell what was what. We did food logs for a week & a half before the tests to narrow it down too.Even though it's not 100%, I still am glad we did it. It was definitely less invasive & more helpful than some of the other GI tests his pedi wanted done, & he's doing so much better.

GL & keep us posted! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"