Working Moms
Options

XP: Breast mlik is overtaking my freezer.

I can't imagine ever just dumping excess breast milk, but I'm running out of room in my freezer! I have a milk storage organizer thing, but that only holds maybe 15 bags, and I have probably 30-40 bags just stacked up in my freezer.

I've started using freezer milk - I'll thaw one bag at night and pour it into two bottles and mix with fresh for the next day at daycare - but for every one bag I take out, I swear, I'm putting two in! Maybe I need to start defrosting two per day and using it in three of the four bottles I give to daycare.

Anyone else have this issue? What is your process for using your frozen breast milk?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Breast mlik is overtaking my freezer.

• Options
    I had a major oversupply- was pumping 60 0z a day. I ended up buying a deep freezer and putting it in our laundry room. It was a lifesaver.
  • Options
    I bought a deep freezer but once that was full I started donating through milkshare.com.  It connects you with moms who under-produce or can't BF and is super easy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ill take some!! I had that issue as well. So I asked my sis to put it in her freezer. Well she moved and forgot about my milk! Angry I had to stop BFing bc I kept getting sick. So my freezer stash barely lasted a month Sad So moral of the story, buy a small seperate freezer. They make the college room size ones now!
  • Options
    I bought a deep freezer during maternity leave, which was fantastic for both BM storage and also for storing leftovers anytime family came to town to cook.  I really tried to over pump as my DS has a milk protein allergy so I weaned just after 13 mos but am still mixing BM in with almond milk as he can't have regular milk, I like still being able to give him a bit of BM at this point.  I usually froze 1-2 bags per day and used one frozen bag per day. HTH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagehappytobemrs.m:
    I had a major oversupply- was pumping 60 0z a day. I ended up buying a deep freezer and putting it in our laundry room. It was a lifesaver.

Ditto.

I was an EP'er and i had so much milk it was ridiculous. I was pumping 90+ oz a day. we had to buy a deep freezer. And then in the 12 months that i pumped i donated over 5k oz of milk. Couldn't dare think about it going to waste so i donated.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have a deep freezer too, which is a lifesaver!

But my process for freezing and thawing= I pump at work and then freeze that in the quantity that I eventually hope to use it in (for instance= DD drinks 6 oz bottles at daycare, so I freeze 6 ounces in one bag).

I thaw milk for the next day using milk from the deep freezer. Those bags were frozen in smaller quantities (2-4 oz) so I have to thaw several at a time as I send her to daycare with 3 bottles worth of milk. I generally don't give her fresh pumped milk to drink in a bottle - only because I am trying to use up some of the older milk I had frozen. I think I've caught up though and probably only have frozen milk from 1-2 months ago now,so I could go back to giving her fresh  milk rather than freezing it every day.

yea, I know I rambled a bit :)

• Options

We have been using my inlaws freezer because ours doesn't have the space. I have over 1000 ounces but I am donating a bunch to a milk bank for Haiti.

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• Options

oh... my... wow...

I probably would have a lot in the freezer but my friend doesn't produce enough so I give her what I pump which is 8oz a day extra.  I've got maybe 30oz frozen for DS.  Those of you that pump 60-90oz are an inspiration... I want to try to pump more.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"