Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Sleep training help please

Ok, we have started late, we admit that.  Our son now understands that we have a routine, he gets the process and if we don't do it in time he pulls out his book for story time.  We hit our major bump in keeping him in bed.  He has been in a big boy bed since 15 months but the first five months I nursed him to sleep. 

Then I weaned him and we moved and I found out I'm pregnant again in the course of about a couple of weeks.  DH's work schedule has been insane and because of that I got lazy with the bed time routine.  We are talking cuddling with DS with a sippy of milk in front of the TV until DH finished with his work for the night.  Then both of us were sleepily led to our beds. Bed time has been a huge compromise just so all of us could sleep. 

We have gotten serious about setting up a new routine with him staying in his bed through the night but it is a HUGE struggle.  It is taking up to two hours to get him to stay in his bed long enough to fall asleep.  DS seriously thinks we are playing the greatest game of chase ever.  He usually STTN and is very proud that he 'night night in his bed', its getting him to fall asleep in his bed that has been a struggle.

Suggestion, advice, tips, book suggestions?  I would take any and all of it.  DH is getting tired and I'm getting too big to play this game. TIA

Re: Sleep training help please

• Options

We had this struggle with bed time and nap time a couple times.

Start a routine... bath,pj,story,song, bed

Start at least an hour earlier then when he normally goes to sleep (actually sleep not to bed).

Tell him what the routine will be, and during each step remind him what the remaining steps will be and that after all the steps it will be straight to bed.

Once you tuck him in, say good night and you'll see him in the morning and close the door.

If he cries (and thats likely) give him 5 minutes or so (longer if it sounds like hes settling). If hes not settling go in,say your only offering a tuck in, if he'll let you tuck him in great, do it and leave, if not say goodnight and loeave again... it usually work without having to go in again. With nap I had her go on like this for an hour before sleeping.

Then the next night repeat. Keep at it.

I would then start moving the start time back in 15 minute intervals if you want to try and get him to bed earlier. 

Good luck and be consitant, you shoul see an improvement within a few days to a week.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    4 losses (cp Feb 28 09, mc April 9 09 (5w5d), mc Aug 10 09 (7w1d), d&c Apr 12 10 (grew to 6w3d, mc confirmed at 8w5d). RX: Overies PCOS (hormones normal) & Balanced Translocation of Ch. 7 & 13 (40-50% mc risk)

Cooking Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"