Multiples
Options

dr ferber vs. babywise

whats better to get babies to sleep thru the night?

Re: dr ferber vs. babywise

• Options

i never read ferber- but don't believe you are supposed to start it until babies are around 6 months, b/c it is CIO.

Babywise starts pretty much day one when you bring baby home - it's not CIO - it's about a flexible routine that helps your babies get their bodies into a routine which facilitates STTN.  I used it with my twins and singleton- all 3 STTN at 8w.

• Options

Babywise is very controversial amongst docs:  It has been linked to dehydration, failure to thrive, decreased breast milk supply, and early weaning. Trying to force a feeding schedule on a baby so young isn't healthy.  The authors of babywise are not doctors, and the book is not medically supported, although it claims to be.  It isn't based on any solid medical research and is written by a paster with no medical background.

See:  https://www.ezzo.info/Aney/aneyaap.htm 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

i never read ferber- but don't believe you are supposed to start it until babies are around 6 months, b/c it is CIO.

Babywise starts pretty much day one when you bring baby home - it's not CIO - it's about a flexible routine that helps your babies get their bodies into a routine which facilitates STTN.  I used it with my twins and singleton- all 3 STTN at 8w.

THIS. Babywise worked wonders for my DD and we never had any issues with FTT or any other of the horror stories some people associate with Babywise. Talk to your pediatrician if you have concerns, but if I'm reading your post correctly and you are truly trying to choose between Ferber and BW then I'd recommend Babywise.

• Options

here we go AGAIN --- people posting crap websites from insane groups bashing BW --- people who have never read the book trying to tell everyone that it causes FTT, etc.....

here's a link that sites the AAP and shows how BW is NOT dangerous- and actually how the AAP agrees with it.... do not believe all the crazy things people post on here --- do your own research...

https://www.parentwisesolutions.com/babywise/common-myths/

and here's a blogger who used babywise with twins

https://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/02/babywise-and-twins.html

Babywise moms do not "FORCE" anything on their babies - they guide them and help them to have a predictable routine- which they THRIVE off of. Children need routine- it helps them feel secure.  I am certified in early childhood education ages birth through 8... I know my sh!t... and really can't stand when people post ridiculous stuff on here that bashes baby wise b/c they read something on the net.. and never read the book.

it's not for everyone - no parenting book is.... so read it and take what you like from it (i can tell you that the multiples chapter in the book is useless- doesn't really help... but everything else can be applied to twins easily).

BW is also the #1 recommended sleep training book in the book "Twin Set" which interviewed tons of twin parents.

• Options
    I am a huge fan of Dr. Ferber.  Even though many of the techniques are not suitable before 6 months (and fwiw, CIO is not really what it's about), he gives an excellent overview of sleeping patterns and the benefits of establishing routines to avoid having to correct bad habits later.    He believes in babies learning how to get themselves to sleep on their own without any aids - and they can learn how to do this after a few nights of using his methods.    Definitely worth the read.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"