Eco-Friendly Family
Options

What to do with High School letter jacket?

Maybe a stupid question but . . .

I'm cleaning house and that includes the coat closet (why do we each have like 5 coats that all look the same?!) and I came across my old high school letter jacket. Now obviously I don't wear this anymore and I'm not going to in the future. It's not like a wedding dress that a daughter or granddaughter might (HA!) want in the future so really it's just hanging around so that a few years from now I can pull it out and say "hey, my high school letter jacket!" before putting it back in the closet again.

Soooo what to do with it? It's not exactly styling in it's orange leather and brown itchy fabric monstrousness and it would be nice if it could be donated for another student to use or something but I can't see how there would be a program for that since it has all the me specific embroidery on it. I don't want to just throw it in the garbage so what can I do with this? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What to do with High School letter jacket?

• Options
    i can't help you.  mine is in one of those sweater bag things at the top of my closet.  they can take embroidery off of it (the sleeves might be iffy if they're leather), you could try contacting your HS and see if they could use it.
  • Options
    I'm planning to contact my high school and see if they can give it to an underprivileged student to get it re-embroidered, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Maybe a local theatre might want it for their costume closet?

So, what did you letter in? Sports or chess club? ;)

• Options
    imageSoyager:

Maybe a local theatre might want it for their costume closet?

So, what did you letter in? Sports or chess club? ;)

Swimming. The one year I did it :p. Our school didn't offer non sports related letters (jerks) or I would have been sporting a nerdy letter for sure! 

• Options

Good question- our closet is stuffed with 2 of them and I have nooo idea what to do with them. I don't want to pitch them- I worked way too hard for my 2 HS letters, and the collegiate one is cool to have, but seriously never gets worn.....  There's no chance of my HS wanting one back either... 

I've seen the pattern to turn sweaters into longies-- can I make DD some hot leather pants?!?! Hahaha....

• Options
    imageZoe'sMama:

I've seen the pattern to turn sweaters into longies-- can I make DD some hot leather pants?!?! Hahaha....

Hahahaha! 

• Options
    Maybe see if there is an alumni association for your high school and see if they would want it?  Our high school has a display for items like this in the trophy case.  Local businesses that support the schools also often display school things--especially in the fall at homecoming time.
    Photobucket Abby............12.27.07
  • Options

I disagree about it not being like a wedding dress that you can pass down.  I used to wear my dad's letter sweater when I was in high school and I wore his old flight jacket from the Navy also (had all cool sorts of patches on it). 

I would think it would be a great memento to pass down. 

I saved only a few things from high school - only the amount to fit in a small box and one thing I kept was my class football jersey - it was in my class colors with my graduation year as the number and my last name on it.  I remember when I got it thinking how utterly awesome it would be if I had something similar from one of my parents.

• Options

I wear my brother's on a fairly regular basis.

Isn't there anyone who might want it?

Can you donate it in a coat drive?

• Options

I don't know what my dad did with his but I know he has all the patches, etc ... from it, and maybe someday when I get aroudn to it, I'll get all the patches, etc ... taken off mine and donate the coat itself.

Great idea!  I had no clue what to do with that thing ....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"