Working Moms
Options

Tell me that I can do this....

DH and I are not TTC yet....but I just need some reassurance that I can be a successful working mom.

I'm a university professor - first year on the tenure track at a small school.  I'm 28 and I want to start TTCing within the next 6 months to a year.  I'm attempting to have a baby between May-July (to help minimize my time off), but we all know that these things can not really be planned.  My main issue is that I keep getting anxiety around the fact that I won't be able to juggle being a mom and my career. My department is very family friendly, but I can't shake this feeling that I won't be able to do right by my future child.

Any tips/comments to help ease my mind?

chart
BFP: 6.13.11 - EDD: 2.20.12 - Natural M/C: 6.22.11 at 5 weeks 3 days

imageimageimageimage

Re: Tell me that I can do this....

• Options

I went to Penn and Judith Rodin was the president at the time and once i went to hear her give a speech about women working and she said if she had to do it again she wouldn't wait until she had tenure to have a baby - she would have done it sooner.  

I am finishing law school now so I do have a good schedule in that I have off on Fridays, but I really like our daycare and I think DS likes going there and likes the other kids. I don't feel bad that he goes 4 days a week.

• Options
    I am a clinical psychologist so after 7 years of school and training, my career is really important to me. I just went back to work about a week ago and just starting to attempt balancing working and being mom. It takes one day at a time and I could never imagine my life without either my job or my baby! The best thing has been talking to other working moms and knowing you are not alone. So, yes, you can do it! Coming home to my beautiful baby is worth every minute of stress! Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't think the reality of being a working mom is as hard as I immagined it to be.  I took 3 months of maternity leave and that was enough to remove all the doubts I had about returning to work.  I love my son and I enjoy the time I spend with him, but if I was a SAHM I would go crazy.  I'm an engineer and I love my job.  I work because I want to, not because I have to.  My son has a great time in daycare, and when I'm with him in the mornings, evenings, and weekends I'm fresh, patient, and absolutely delighted to be with him.  I don't think you can ever escape the occasional mommy guilt, working or not.  You'll find a way to have a balanced life.  It's one of those things you can't really see until you're there.

Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

To me, there was never a thought in my mind that I couldnt do it.  It was just the way it was going to be. I happened to get pregnant with my little girl while in the midst of having a terribly demanding client, and being on the verge of a promotion to an even more demanding role.  Long story short, I did it, am still doing it and juggling a crazy travel schedule...I still haven't quite gotten it right - working in a workout for me of having a clean house is nearly impossible... BUT, I have a lot of support from my husband, and our care providers, which helps.  It's definitely not easy - in fact it's really hard sometimes.  

I have to say, there is nothing - NOTHING better than coming home to my little girl at the end of a long day. I was lucky - she never had any separation anxiety and loves going to the sitters.  In fact, she gets her jacket and hat for me before we leave the house - unasked (she's 1) because she's so excited.  

You won't do wrong by your future child by being a working mom.  In fact, you are giving he/she a wonderful role model to look up to. That's not to say SAHMs don't, AT ALL.  In fact I very much admire them, I just accept that I am a different person.

Good luck...you will find what works for you and your family. :) 

• Options
    I am a director in a large healthcare company and love my work. We have a live-in Au Pair who looks after DD and the set up is ideal for us. DD gets one on one attention and I get to go to work every day, and be with DD morning and evening. When I think of her during the work day, I always know she is having a good time with our Au Pair, out for a walk or playing, or napping in her crib. You can do it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"