Cincinnati Babies
Options

**hannah&ben - question about HPV vaccine**

DD is only 8 so this isn't something I need to decide right now but for whatever reason, I went to bed thinking about this last night.  I know you have an older daughter and she might be at that age that its time to start thinking about the HPV vaccine.  What are your thoughts on this...or your daughter's doctors thoughts if you have had that conversation?  For awhile, I thought girls as young as 9 could get the vaccine but when I looked it up it seems to be more like 11 or 12. 

There seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding the vaccine and I want to see what other moms think.  Of course, when the time comes I will talk to her doctor about it.  And if you don't feel comfortable posting about it, I understand.

Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: **hannah&ben - question about HPV vaccine**

• Options

Sophia has already had all 3 doses of Gardacil.  I did it 2 years ago, when she was 10. I was honest and told her it was a vaccine to protect her from a virus that sometimes causes cancer, and that you can get the virus from having sex so, it wasn't something she needed 'right now' but just like all vaccines, in order for them to work, you need to get them before you are ever exposed to the virus.

I did my research (carefully reviewed the research and cdc info that was released) had a nice long talk with my daughter's pedi (who recommended it) and my own ob/gyn (who also recommended it for her) and decided to do it.

Here's a link to the CDC safety/adverse effects report. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Vaccines/HPV/gardasil.html

It explains the negative effects that have been reported, while it's scary to think about someone dying from a vaccine I don't feel like the numbers suggest any sort of higher risk than any other vaccine that my DD has received. 

The only 'regret' that I have now, and it's not even a regret, is that I recently read something about how many years it's effective... like they know it's 100% effective for 5 years (so that takes DD to age 15) but I think there is some question about effectiveness at the 10 year mark... but all that means is the need for a booster at some point.  Not a huge deal.  I guess I would have been ok waiting till she was 12 or 13 (she's certainly not sexually active yet) but that still would have only taken her to age 17 or 18... she still would need that booster at that time, kwim?

Anyway, let me know if you have any other questions, happy to chat!

hannah

• Options

::butting in:: sorry-I think hannah put it perfectly! Just think-you will have about 4 more years of more research and experience with the vaccine before your DD will get it. That is what I told one of my co-workers wives who was concerned about her 4 yr old daughter getting it. It has been thought to work so well they are now starting to recommend teenage boys get it too. CDC hasnt released a rec yet but I would expect it soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both for your replies.  We have a few more years before she needs to get it but I don't think its ever too early to start thinking about it.  At this point, DD doesn't even know what sex is but I'm sure that talk is coming soon.  I thought when I was pregnant she would want to know how the babies got in my belly but her biggest question has been how were people made if there was a time that there were no people.  I am with you Hannah in that I want her to have vaccine before it is necessary.  I was one of those kids that waited until college and would love for DD to wait but I don't know how realistic that is and want to protect her in any way I can.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"