North Carolina Babies

Fevers--when do you start worrying?

Luke's temp was 103.2 rectally this morning. My baby book says to subtract a degree for rectal temps which makes me feel better, but still, he feels really hot and I'm a little nervous. I did pick him up from daycare early yesterday and took him to the doctor b/c his temp was 101.6. The doc says ear infection. But this is the first time his fever has ever been this high. And of course it happens the night we get snow!

Re: Fevers--when do you start worrying?

• I would def call it in and let the dr. office know how high it's gotten.  Let them make a judgment call and then take it from there.
  • We had this exact same scenario last week--exact same temp. Holly kept a fever for several days, but it was always lower than that first time. I'd try and keep him cool (not bundle him up too much inside, etc), and just keep him hydrated. Check him after a few hours on Tylenol, then alternate it with Motrin every 3-4 hours if it's still high. I'd probably give the pedi a call. We did, and they had us bring her in. But nothing was "wrong" with her... They chalked it up to a virus. She seemed fine other than the fever, just a little whinier than usual.

I hope he's feeling better soon!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • My pedi said a rectal temp over 103 for 36 hours that cannot be brought down with alternating motrin and tylenol every 3-4 hours. It never hurts just to put a call in though. I also think you don't subtract for the rectal temp, that is the most accurate, or at least that is what I was told.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My baby book also says to subtract a degree for the rectal temperature. Hope the Tylenol/Motrin help the fever go down and Luke is feeling better soon.

• imageHeels.Fan03:

My baby book also says to subtract a degree for the rectal temperature. Hope the Tylenol/Motrin help the fever go down and Luke is feeling better soon.

That is good to know. I never have heard that before. 102 is better sounding than 103 for some reason. 

• Thanks girls! The doctor's office is normally open Sat but is closed today so I left a message. The dr called me herself within 20 minutes or so and called in an ear infection prescription for him that DH was able to pick up. His temp had gone way down as of a couple hours ago, he was back to 99.4. Whew! The dr said the antibiotics should help with the ear which should make the fever go away. He is acting much more like himself this afternoon too which makes me feel better.

I agree dbert--102 seems so much better than 103 so I was willing to side with the baby book for that reason alone! Daycare also told me that they add a degree for underarm temps, which proved accurate when I took him into the dr yesterday. Weird!

• I am so glad that he is feeling better!!!
  • I'm sorry Luke was feeling ill, but I'm so glad he's doing better!
    Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm glad to hear Luke is feeling better! 
  • imagemrsNnearly:

Thanks girls! The doctor's office is normally open Sat but is closed today so I left a message. The dr called me herself within 20 minutes or so and called in an ear infection prescription for him that DH was able to pick up. His temp had gone way down as of a couple hours ago, he was back to 99.4. Whew! The dr said the antibiotics should help with the ear which should make the fever go away. He is acting much more like himself this afternoon too which makes me feel better.

I agree dbert--102 seems so much better than 103 so I was willing to side with the baby book for that reason alone! Daycare also told me that they add a degree for underarm temps, which proved accurate when I took him into the dr yesterday. Weird!

Glad he is feeling better. I kept reading the previous post as as "add a degree" and not deduct a deduct a degree off the temp, so that makes more sense now. For some reason I kept thinking, why would you ADD a degree to a rectal temp. My brain wasn't thinking right until I read what you said about under arm temps and then I was like, duh she was saying deduct not add.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"