Working Moms
Options

XP from 2nd tri: Need advice re: potential sitter

I met with a potential babysitter today; she is the parent of one of my students.

DH and I felt totally comfortable with her. No red flags. Seems great!

I came home and searched her name on our county's court records online. It says that she and her husband filed for divorce in 1990 and that she filed a restraining order on him. Then, in 1991, the case was dismissed. I'm pretty sure it's the same couple, although the address was different. (They moved into their current home 5 years ago. This address was in the same town.) Still, no way of knowing 100% if they are the same people. Another file said they foreclosed on that house in like 1994. 

What would you think of this? WWYD? If these are the same people, it WAS 20 years ago. But, what if the husband is dangerous? Are there different reasons that someone would file a restraining order (other than fearing for your life)?

I'm bummed b/c we were ready to sign up with her--that's how awesome our interview went. Just don't know what to do now. :( 

Thanks for your advice!
http://dairyfreemammaries.blogspot.com/ ~Chronicles of a MPSI Mama~

Re: XP from 2nd tri: Need advice re: potential sitter

• Options
    Honestly, I would worry more that she is the parent of one of your students.
  • Options

It was TWENTY years ago.  You're going to potentially hold what was a very personal issue that you know NOTHING about against her?  You don't know why she filed that order, yhou don't know why it was dismissed.

It was TWENTY years ago.

That being said- I do have to ditto alisa and say that you need to exercise caution w/ using a parent of one of your students.  I don't know what level you teach, but I would be worried there might be perceived favoritism based on your arrangement w/ her.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

It was TWENTY years ago.  You're going to potentially hold what was a very personal issue that you know NOTHING about against her?  You don't know why she filed that order, yhou don't know why it was dismissed.

It was TWENTY years ago.

That being said- I do have to ditto alisa and say that you need to exercise caution w/ using a parent of one of your students.  I don't know what level you teach, but I would be worried there might be perceived favoritism based on your arrangement w/ her.

Exactly this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageAlisaS:
    Honestly, I would worry more that she is the parent of one of your students.

Ditto. There are tons of reasons why people file restraining orders, some valid, some not. I wouldn't let court paperwork from 20 years ago worry you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"