is tofu low cholesterol?

any of the herbivores here know?

Re: is tofu low cholesterol?

• Options
    Yep.  It is.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yep! And I believe that some studies (though I don't have links handy) have shown that it can help in lowering cholesterol (like oatmeal).
    Mother's Day, 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is there a rec amount to eat per week (not go over)?
  • Options

cool thanks!

• Options
    Think of it this way. Cholesterol comes from two places, your body makes it and we get it from animal products (meat, dairy, byproducts, eggs, etc). So a low-cholesterol diet is one in which animal products are eaten sparingly (or not at all). Tofu would likely be a cholesterol free food since its plant based. If a food is plant-based and contains no animal byproducts then its likely to be cholesterol free.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageFutureMrsLemon:
    Think of it this way. Cholesterol comes from two places, your body makes it and we get it from animal products (meat, dairy, byproducts, eggs, etc). So a low-cholesterol diet is one in which animal products are eaten sparingly (or not at all). Tofu would likely be a cholesterol free food since its plant based. If a food is plant-based and contains no animal byproducts then its likely to be cholesterol free.

good call. you totally just gave me my cholesterol education... no one in my family has cholesterol issues so i've never bothered to look into any of this before. i think the only thing is my mom has high blood pressure and asthma. my dad, sister and I all have such low blood pressure that new doctors freak out whenever they take it for the first time. but cholesterol has never been an issue for anyone.

• Options
    Good luck with everything. I didnt think too much about cholesterol either, but during the course of going vegetarian, and vegan I read a lot about cholesterol. I have the opposite problem with blood pressure, mine runs high. It was so frustrating to me because when I would ask what I could do to lower my BP I was told "eat less meat and dairy." This was of course when I was a vegan.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"