High-Risk Pregnancy

Just got diagnosed with GD today...

I had the 1hr glucose test last week and my # was 207. Due to the high number, dr doesn't want to proceed with 3hr b/c he is afraid of sugar shock.

Therefore, I go straight to getting treated for GD. I'm really nervous. I'm scared for the baby. Also, I probably won't start getting tested with my monitor and learn more about my diet until Tuesday when I get to go to the hospital for my consult (still waiting for the hospital to get back to me, she said by Monday she will so they can get me in right away).

In the meantime, what can I do to keep it under control? I'm just so afraid for the baby (the stuff you read online is so scary!)

Also on top of this my blood count was low, so I am on iron supplements and I take Lovenox for lupus anticouglants. Pregnancy is kicking my a$$!

FWIW I'm 26 weeks pregnant.

Thanks girls!

Re: Just got diagnosed with GD today...

• aww man, it is kicking your a$$!  i'm sorry.  i too found out i was anemic with GD.  fun stuff.

over the weekend, just watch your carbs.  try to limit your carb intake to 45 or so each meal and 30 for each snack (very general rule of thumb for most GD moms).  eat 3 meals plus 2-3 snacks per day too.  try to avoid simple sugars and high glycemic foods (like juice).

good luck, i hope this is the last pg complication for you and the rest is smooth sailing! 

• I'm sorry to hear about your situation. GD is not fun, but it really wasn't that bad after I got used to it.

First of all, try not to stress out about things. Stress will make your blood sugar levels higher. Also try not to worry about your baby. As long as you take the necessary steps to control your numbers, your baby will be fine.

There are a few things you can do over the weekend to keep the GD under control. First, eat lots of protein. Eggs, chicken, steak, cheese, peanut butter, etc... Second, cut down on the amount of carbs you eat. Eat whole wheat bread instead of white bread. Third, get as much exercise as you can. I walked for about 15-20 minutes everyday and it helped alot. And of course, avoid all of the good "bad" foods like cookies and cake.

I was diagnosed at about 28 weeks and was able to control my numbers 95% of the time. I did have to go on insulin, but it was not bad at all. My DD was born on December 18 and she is perfectly healthy. When things feel like they can't get any worse, remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel and all of your sacrifices now will totally pay off in the end. GL!

• Loading the player...
  • I was diagnosed at 26 weeks as well.  I didn't take the 3 hour either because my 1 hour was 200.  They went straight to treating the GD.  I found out on a Thursday and didn't have my diabetic class until the following Monday, but I changed what I was eating immediately.  There's a lot you can find online to help.  Here are some of the websites that helped me. 

I referenced this site the most 

https://www.dhmc.org/dhmc-internet-upload/file_collection/gestational_diabetes_905.pdf

https://sites.google.com/site/nestbiomamajan/gestationaldiabetes

https://chinese-school.netfirms.com/diabetes-gestational-diet-plan.html

You need to cut out all sugar and all juice.  Don't have fruit with breakfast because the morning is the hardest for your body to control.  I've been having an egg, 1 piece of toast, and a piece of cheese.  I'm going to try a tortilla with an egg scrambled tomorrow.  

For lunch I usually have a chicken sandwich, salad or brocolli, and an orange.  

For dinner we're having tacos tonight, last night we had turkey burgers, baked potatoes, and a salad

For my snacks I usually have cheese and crackers, peanut butter and crackers, or half a banana and crackers.  HTH!  GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey! I recognize you from over at SAIF! I have had a ton of problems too this pregnancy and I feel you. I HATE the iron pills I have to take 3 a day it kills me. GL I hope you have better luck! I have Crohn's which isn't the same as lupus, but is super affected by the dumb iron pills.

I have GD too. Don't read online it is scary but totally manageable. Watch your carb intake and switch to whole wheat options. Milk and yogurt count as carbs (that sucks i know) so breakfast I would stick to eggs. Try to get a lot of protein in, it does help balance carbs.

Read through the stuff on here I got great tips and eating ideas. If you want more specifics I would be happy to give you ideas of what I eat or recipes.  

Your baby will be fine. The diet consult told me it has to be high for extended periods of time to impact your baby and chances are yours aren't. The biggest concern is a big baby...but in the grand scheme of problems that isn't a terrible one. They will give you growth u/s (I don't know if you were getting them already...i am b/c of 2vessel cord) and sometimes they also do stress tests.

You can do this! You are strong. I know it seems like too much to add to your 'full pregnancy plate'.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"