Alabama Babies
Options

WWYD? Shower Related (long)

Okay...when my mom's old supervisor(a very close family friend who often refers to herself as my "white grandmother") found out that I was pg she told my mother and SIL that she wanted to host a shower for me...I was reluctant to say anothing more about it b/c I didn't want to appear too forward. Over the past few months my mom said that the friend wwould call and say "We have to get together on the shower" but never threw out anything concrete. In the meantime my SIL and aunt have been planning shower for me and invited practically everyone(including my mother's co-workers/the friends former employees) other than my co-workers as they are having a seperate shower for me. 

Fast forward to earlier this week,my mother decides to go ahead and call the friend to let her know that my shower is this weekend. The friend then says, "Well, I'm gonna be out of town until next week but I'd still like to throw a shower for Ashley". At this point my mom told her that I would just call her directly so we cound get together. I call her and she wants to contribute to the shower this weekend but wants to throw a shower as well...the thing is that she wants to invite my mom's co-workers...they've already been invited to Sunday's shower b/c we never heard anything from her.

I'm sure some of them wouldn't mind coming to 2 showers but I think it's a little too forward to ask that of them...I would love for her to host a shower for me but everyone has already been invited to Sunday's shower...I'm all out of friends!

I guess I'm asking what I should do about the fact that I have someone who wants to give me a shower but no one to actually come to it...I was thinking of maybe something more along the lines of a tea or maybe even a meet and greet after he's here...not sure...WWYD?

Re: WWYD? Shower Related (long)

• Options

that's a tough one.  I think I would just talk to her and be honest - let her know that while you GREATLY appreciate the offer and it means a lot to you that she would want to do that, but you aren't sure who to even invite.  Obviously I'm not wording this the best way.  And maybe your mom can talk to her further?

I think it would be hard to do one now when you'd essentially be inviting the same people and don't want it to appear that you want gifts at both.  (not that you expect that)

I think I'd do a "sip and see" tea or party after the baby arrives, that it would be easier to do that and make that suggestion to her.  That way everyone gets to meet the baby, gifts aren't expected and it's just a time to visit.  She'd probably love to host something like that I would imagine.  But maybe go ahead and get something penciled in with her (since it sounds like it's hard to get her to commit on a date!?!?!?) for like 2 months out or something.....

I'm so flaky today, hope that made sense.  LOL

GL!!!

• Options

I would just be honest and tell her that you don't feel comfortable inviting the same people to two showers.  I like the idea of having her host a gtg after the baby is born. 

I think people have good intentions when it comes to things like showers...but they don't always follow through or see the urgency in planning.  Then they run out of time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think a Sip and See is a great idea.  Maybe your mom could suggest it to her?
  • Options
    I think a party after the baby comes would be best as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"