High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

High risk or clueless doctor?

So I'm currently living in a country where health care... it isn't the greatest. DH and I are moving back to the States when I'm about four months.

I had my second appointment with the doctor today (first was just to confirm pregnancy) and the moment I walked in the door she said 'you're high risk, right?'.

When I asked what she meant she pulled out her chart of family history, etc from the last appointment. According to her, I'm high risk because of several factors.

First, I was taking oral birth control for the first 5-6 weeks of pregnancy (yeah, long story).

Second, I am blood type A-, while DH is A+. She kept going on and on about the rh factor.

Third, my paternal grandparents have diabetes type II and heart disease.

Fourth, my older sister had pre-eclampsia and was on bed rest for nearly two months. She went on to have a completely normal delivery and a healthy baby girl. I know that pre-eclampsia doesn't appear till later, but at the moment I'm having trouble keeping my blood pressure UP (DH takes it every night, he's in med school) and it is usually between 90-100 over 50-60.

The doctor really made me nervous. She kept going on and on about the blood thing- isn't there some sort of shot you can get later in pregnancy? And if I understand things correctly, isn't this generally more of an issue with the second child than the first?

Is it so bad that I was taking bcp?

In the past doctors down here have given incorrect information, or information based on the reality of health care down here. There is little equipment or quality care down here, so almost anything abnormal is high risk.

I am turning to you, who have experience in this... am I truly high risk, or is the doctor just scaring me needlessly? 

Re: High risk or clueless doctor?

• Options

You always want a doctor to be thorough, but honestly, this sounds a little extreme. I don't know a whole lot about the blood typing issue, but the other things -- the bcp and even the pre-e -- don't worry me.  I honestly don't know that the fact that your sis had pre-e puts you at any more of a risk.  I'd just be looking forward to getting a second opinion when you get to the states.

In the meantime, I'd just do what you know to do -- take your prenatal, drink your fluids, and stay healthy.  I think you're gonna be just fine!  Hugs.

m/c feb 07 ~ m/c twins oct 08 ~ Duncan Thomas: born to heaven 5/19/09 - m/c jan 11

My Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I can weigh in on the blood type issue - I am also A-.  You just need to get the Rhogam shot when you are 20-some weeks (can't remember exactly) and then you'll get another one when you deliver (unless the baby also has a negative blood type).  And if you have any bleeding, let your doctor know and you will get an extra shot (although I had implantation spotting and my doctor said that didn't require a shot - only a full miscarriage would).

So - I don't think the blood type is really a big deal. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not an expert but it sounds like you are AT RISK to be high risk...but to label you as high risk at this point in your pregnancy may be jumping the gun a little.

It sounds like the doctor has all the right information. I just don't think you need to be labeled right now. But you should start modifying your life to prevent any of those complications. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Thanks guys... I know I need to be careful. I need to keep an eye on my blood pressure, and be sure I am eating right. I need to get the shots for the rH factor.

But I really didn't feel like I should be high risk at the moment!

I am still nervous about the oral birth control... but baby had a good, strong heartbeat at the ultrasound, so that's good news.

Does anyone have any recommendations for avoiding pre-e or GD? 

• Options

You really can't avoid pre-e, and I don't know about the GD.  You are right in the watch what you eat part however.  Stay away from salt as much as possible is all I know. 

As for the BC, I had that with my DS.  They just had to make very sure through u/s that there were no brith defects caused by using it in the first tri.  He is totally fine by the way. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSareclark:

Does anyone have any recommendations for avoiding pre-e or GD? 

Eat a very high protein diet and minimize your unhealthy carbs.  Google the Brewer diet. 

• Options

I agree with the PP who said you're at risk to be high risk but probably shouldn't be labeled that right now.  Pregnancy is an amazing thing, but unfortunately we don't know right away when our eggs have been fertilized.  The body just sort of "knows" to take care of those things that might be harmful to LO initially (within reason, of course).  I wouldn't worry about the BC.  You're fine, I'm sure. 

As far as pre-e being hereditary, it definitely can be, but I think you're at higher risk for developing it if YOUR MOTHER had it when she was pregnant.  Even then, quite honestly, if you're going to develop pre-e, you're going to develop pre-e.  Minimizing salt can help with your BP, but pre-e is a disease of the placenta.  There's not much you can do about it in the way of avoiding it if you're going to get it.  

• Options
    imageSissyKate21:

I'm not an expert but it sounds like you are AT RISK to be high risk...but to label you as high risk at this point in your pregnancy may be jumping the gun a little.

It sounds like the doctor has all the right information. I just don't think you need to be labeled right now. But you should start modifying your life to prevent any of those complications. 

This. 

I'm also A-.  I got a Rho-gam shot at 28 weeks and will get another after birth (the shot is only good for 12 weeks).  You also need to get a shot if you have ANY spotting at all because some of the baby's blood could mix with yours.  As long as you don't already have anti-bodies, you shouldn't be classified as "high risk" though.

I think your sister having had pre-e puts you at a higher risk for also getting pre-e later, but again, that doesn't mean you should be classified as high risk now. 

I have no idea about the bc pills, though....

Even with borderline high blood pressure that was being watched and having A- blood, I was not "high risk" until I actually got hypertension about 5 weeks ago.

• Options

With the pre-e, you have a slightly higher chance of getting since your sister had it, but not much more that than average woman.  I wouldn't think this is sufficient to classify you as high risk.

I had pre-e (and so did my mother and grandmother), so I am now high risk because I have a history of it and developed permanently high BP for having it.  However, both of my sisters managed to avoid getting it.  My mother's sister didn't have it either.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"