Postpartum Depression
Options

Putting good advice into practice.

What I learned from my first appointment with the psychologist:

1.  I can't do it all, even if I think everything is my responsibility.  Something has to give.  I have to let others help me out, even if I do feel guilty about it.

2.  I need to revisit doing those things that I once enjoyed doing (running, baking, reading).

That is pretty much what we discussed on that first visit, other than assessing my symptoms and me pouring my heart out about what causes me anxiety (mostly how overwhelmed I am about everything I have to do).  Last night I started ticking off out loud to my husband the list of household chores I needed to get done.  He reminded me..."what did you discuss in counseling?  You are not an island, I am here to do things, too."  So even if I feel a little guilt over not being able to handle it all myself, I am getting help with the housework. 

He also watched Alannah yesterday evening so that I could read and take a nap.  I had come to him, crying because I wanted time alone, but felt guilty because I am not supposed to feel that way about my baby...the not wanting to take care of her at that moment.  After I rested, I came back refreshed, ready to play with Alannah, and happy.  I think I will like this!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Putting good advice into practice.

• Options
    I've been wondering how your first appointment went.  I hope it went well.
  • Options

I'm glad that you already have gotten something from your meeting!  I'm glad to see that your DH is so supportive!  That is great!

It is important to take care of yourself, that way, you have more to give your DD.

I do what I have to do and try not to do too much.  My house may not be as tidy as it could be, but I need my down time too. 

I hope that things continue to get better!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm glad the first appt went well for you!
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    sounds good! i struggle with asking for help too.  my husband is not the type to just volunteer to do stuff and if i don't ask for it, i'll never get it.
  • Options
    I am happy to hear that you found a good couselor. I know find the "right" fit is so important. Good for you....
  • Options
    I am so happy for you that things are getting better!! :) I totally understand feeling guilty about alone time. I asked my husband to hold the baby so I could clean up the house and take a shower. While I was in the shower I felt so bad that I wanted a little break, even if it was to clean! :P I guess I need to take a deep breath and learn that asking for help isn't a bad thing! Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to hearing how things go in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"