High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

I am discouraged!

Tonight for dinner we decided to make little pizzas.  We bought some whole wheat pitas from Trader Joe's and used those as the crust.  They each had 44 g carbs.  I'm allowed 60 g carbs for dinner.

The sauce we were using had 7 g carbs per 1/4 cup.  I didn't even use 1/4 cup for 2 pizzas so I'm figuring no more than 3 carbs for the sauce.

I put cheese and pepperoni on the pizza.  Those don't count right?

If not, then I had about 47 g carbs.  My blood sugar after testing was 137 and that was the lowest of 3 readings.  Highest was 146.

Ugh!

What did I do wrong???  I thought the cheese and pepperoni would help out.  I did eat a few extra slices of pepperoni and some dry roasted peanuts as the pizza was cooking.  I was told peanuts were fine. 

Help!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I am discouraged!

• Options
    Maybe it was the pepperoni because it's high in fat. My nutritionist said you really have to watch how much fat you have.  I don't know though.  Other than that maybe it's just a meal that doesn't work for you. 
  • Options
    Next time you can take a walk after you eat.  Exercise helps lower your #s.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would say it is the sugar content in the sauce. Even though you didn't have a whole bunch of sauce, the simple sugar in the sauce could have made it spike a little. Just a guess. For me personally i can't go over-board(not that you did or anything)  on any type of a tomatoe based sauce. . it spikes my sugar.
  • Options

imageSara8:
    I would say it is the sugar content in the sauce. Even though you didn't have a whole bunch of sauce, the simple sugar in the sauce could have made it spike a little. Just a guess. For me personally i can't go over-board(not that you did or anything)  on any type of a tomatoe based sauce. . it spikes my sugar.

I see what you are saying.  I was actually really careful about the amt of sauce I used.  I always like a lot of sauce, but didn't put nearly as much on there.

*sigh*

I hate experimenting with food!

• Options

I make pizzas with the regular trader joe's crust (the one they sell by the sushi and pre-made sandwiches that you bake yourself?) it's very thin, then I use the trader joes pizza sauce, turkey pep, chicken (cooked obvi), olives, and veggies. I eat two slices and a big salad. So far that is the only way I can have pizza with my numbers. Two slices of the big pizza is what the diet book said was the 'right' amount. Maybe somehow the pitas messed it up? Just make sure you bake the crust for 10 mins before you put on the other items.

GL! I hate the guessing too :( 

• Options

imagenelleebelle:
    Ragu makes a lower sugar pizza sauce (5 carbs I think).  We've used that with 'flat out' wrap bread (It's 9 carbs for one) to make pizza and my numbers after have been great.  Try altering one thing next time you make it see what happens.

Thanks, I will try that.  Of course there was a pizza post on here with things different ladies had used for crust and were successful with, but I can't find it now.

When we went to Trader Joe's we looked for the whole wheat pizza crusts but I couldn't find any so that's why we went with the pitas. 

• Options
    My mom is type 1 and said that she can only do pizza if she takes off ALL the sauce before hand.  I'm GD and pizza also spikes my sugar and I've heard the same thing from several other ladies about their experience with GD and pizza.  I've just decided to cut it out for the next couple of months.  I don't miss it enough to make the effort to experiment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"