Houston Babies
Options

Any recommendations about books for new parents?

We just had the last childbirth preparation class and got a list of books that the nurse(s) recommend(s) for new parents. However, most of the books in that list were written 10+ years ago.

Any book that you'd recommend? what did you like about that particular book?

Thanks!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Any recommendations about books for new parents?

• Options

The only book I read in its entirety was Babywise.  It worked great for us.

ETA: I also used Baby 411 as a reference.

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options

What to Expect the First Year was a great reference book to keep around. It has month by month guides to what your baby will probably be doing, could be doing (but don't freak if they're not), etc. It gives you good ways to interact with your baby at different stages.I found myself flipping to the index a lot with random questions.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Dr. Sears' Baby Book has been my go-to, but I also have What to expect. My pediatrician gave me a copy of the AAP's Your Baby's First Year. The small size made it handy to flip through while holding a sleeping/nursing baby. (Although the small size also means that it has disappeared and I have no idea where it is!) 

I also like Touchpoints. https://www.touchpointsbook.com/ Although there are bits here and there that I don't agree with, it is an interesting take on development.  I suppose that will be the case in many books. 

• Options
    I second the Baby 411 book YesYes.
    image Oh Joy to the World!!
  • Options
    imageTexasPaige:

What to Expect the First Year was a great reference book to keep around. It has month by month guides to what your baby will probably be doing, could be doing (but don't freak if they're not), etc. It gives you good ways to interact with your baby at different stages.I found myself flipping to the index a lot with random questions.

Ditto this. Also, even if some of the books were written 10 years ago, really not much has changed in 10 years of baby raising imo. I bought some books off of ebay that were older versions of current books and I swear most of the pages were exactly the same when I was given newer versions. The newer books likely have more focus on vaccinations, but other than that no major changes that I can think of!
  • Options
    I read What to Expect (mostly as a reference, I didn't find it that helpful) and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (which I loved).
  • Options
    I bought all my friends Baby 411 for their showers.
  • Options

imageLillybell2007:
    I read What to Expect (mostly as a reference, I didn't find it that helpful) and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (which I loved).

healthy sleep habits is a great book to read before the baby is born.

dr sears "the baby book" is a great all aroudn resource. there is a lot of AP info but there is even more practical information. it's more like Dr Spock- an overall guide.

what to expect the 1st year. i love the easy to follow milestones and knowing what to anticipate at my next pedi appt

your baby week by week, touchpoints or any other books that talks about baby development on a week by week basis. these books really help you make it through some hard times when things like unseen developmental pushes throw your routine in to chaos 

• Options

A friend gave me her copy of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and I skimmed through it and liked it.  Honestly, the best info I find is on here!  I just ask away, and I get many different responses.  It's really nice to see everyone's point of view, and to take whatever works for you from it.

My pedi recommended this (AAP: Caring for your baby and young child).  I like it for reference.

I also signed up for www.babycenter.com (through my pgcy, too). It gives me a weekly report of what's happening developmentwise with my baby, etc.  It's nice b/c I can keep up with what comes next, but don't have to read chapters about it - just a one page newsletter.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"