Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Come in if your kid has ever smelled like maple syrup

I've read posts on here before from people whose kids have smelled like maple syrup. Please don't direct me to the scary maple syrup syndrome or whatever it is that comes up when one googles this topic. ;-)

So for a long time now, every now and then I'll notice this about DD. I've never determined a cause, like most other nesties who have mentioned the conundrum. This morning it was so strong! Even tonight, I picked up last night's jammies off the floor to put into the hamper, and I could smell that maple syrup scent on them! So weird!

Here's my question: Has anyone else ever associated it with them cutting teeth? DD is cutting her top two cuspids (canines) right now. In the past, I think I also suspected that the smell could be related to teething. Anyone else make this correlation? And wtf is up with that smell??? So bizarre. 

Re: Come in if your kid has ever smelled like maple syrup

• Options

Fenugreek?

jk.

I do know that a symptom of diabetic ketoacidosis is the emittance of a sweet, somewhat fruity smell called ketones. Only some people can smell it though.
    Is there a chance that she could be diabetic? Chances are, at this point she would be very sick but it's a possibility. I don't mean to scare you but I'd get it checked for sure.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    weirdorama.   grant only smells like that when he eats those gerber maple cinnamon puffs lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have smelled it on DD too. I think with my DD it has to do with what she eats. I have gone to the lengths of giving her a bath to get rid of the smell. It just permeates through everything. I hope everything is okay!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

DS sometimes smells like maple syrup when he wakes up in the morning, but I'm pretty sure it's his pee because it usually happens when he has a really full overnight diaper.

I haven't noticed a correlation to teething.  But I have noticed I can't eat maple syrup without thinking of my kid's pee diaper. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DS sometimes smells like maple syrup right when he wakes up, but I think it's related to what he has for dinner.  After I change his diaper it stops.  I never really thought anything of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

Nope to the fenugreek. I'm no longer bf'ing, and never took it when I was. 

She didn't eat anything unusual, and definitely didn't have any syrup. She did poop four times today, which is out of the ordinary (not diarrhea), so I've been wondering about the culprit behind that as well. Also teething? 

• Options
    the only time i have ever noticed my DD smelling like maple syrup is after she has eating those gerber snack puff things that are cinnamon and maple syrup flavored.... that is odd though... never heard such a thing.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageengaged678:

Fenugreek?

jk.

I do know that a symptom of diabetic ketoacidosis is the emittance of a sweet, somewhat fruity smell called ketones. Only some people can smell it though.
    Is there a chance that she could be diabetic? Chances are, at this point she would be very sick but it's a possibility. I don't mean to scare you but I'd get it checked for sure.

Hm, definitely don't think so. No history of diabetes in our families, and other than a milk allergy, she's a healthy kid. What would be the symptoms? Please don't make me google scary things.

This scent isn't a common thing... it's just every now and then. 

And to other posters - I remember reading others who associated the smell with their DC's pee, but I really don't think that's the case with her. It's more like it comes out of her pores. I smell it even on her head. 

ETA: Oh and I just realized that you were joking about the fenugreek. I did bf til 19 months, though, so it wouldn't have been too far-fetched! ;-) 

• Options
    DS smells exactly like that after peeing through his diaper at night.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I hate to say this, and I am sure it not what is happening to your dd, but my sister is a diabetic and when she was young there were times she would smell like syrup.

I am sure she is just fine though! Smile

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageengaged678:

Fenugreek?

jk.

DKA doesn't smell llike maple at all. It's a "fake" fruity smell, like banana Hubba Bubba or something.

Joseph has had the maple scent before. I've wigged about it, but eventually I realized that it wasn't his urine that had the smell. It actually seems to come from his hair when it happens. He's been checked, though. Nothing wrong. So I just accept that every now and then, he smells like waffles.

• Options
    imageLoriFalce:
    imageengaged678:

Fenugreek?

jk.

DKA doesn't smell llike maple at all. It's a "fake" fruity smell, like banana Hubba Bubba or something.

Joseph has had the maple scent before. I've wigged about it, but eventually I realized that it wasn't his urine that had the smell. It actually seems to come from his hair when it happens. He's been checked, though. Nothing wrong. So I just accept that every now and then, he smells like waffles.

gotcha, I am one of those people who can't smell ketones but used to always be somewhat envious when I worked in the ER and people would say "it smells so fruity"

... not like the diarrhea that I was used to smelling.

Sad 

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Quentin smells like maple syrup about 50% of the time when he wakes in the morning. I have no idea what it is, but once he's up and out of his jammies and changed, the smell goes away.
    However-- sometimes the smell lingers on his favorite nighttime blanket, too. I'm not too worried about it, though.
  • Options
    imageLoriFalce:
    imageengaged678:

Fenugreek?

jk.

Thank you. This is pretty much where I'm at... it's weird and a little disarming, yes, but I really am not worried. I definitely do not think she's diabetic (and I did just give in and google those symptoms), and I think some kids must just randomly smell - as you put it - like waffles. :) No association with teething for you, then?

• Options

imageHopeful2008:
    DS smells exactly like that after peeing through his diaper at night.

This! Except DD. I thought it was just pee funk. lol

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

No, WY, no teething coincidence that I have noticed. However, often Joseph has been teething for a few days before I catch on to it. And I will admit, I haven't noticed it in a few months, and because of his age, he hasn't teethed in a while, so you might be onto something.

• Options
    two brothers at the dc i work at both smell like maple syrup! i thought fenugreek but one is like 4 and the other is FF
  • Options
    My daughter smelled like it a couple of times and it was driving me crazy!  I couldn't figure our where it was coming from.  Turns out my MIL has some Maple candle and DD was at her home those while she had it lit a few days. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've noticed this on DS before, too, and now I'm going to pay extra attention to the times I smell it.
  • Options

I just noticed it the other day, and will mention it to my pedi...

however, DO NOT google it! 

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagemlf625:

DS sometimes smells like maple syrup when he wakes up in the morning, but I'm pretty sure it's his pee because it usually happens when he has a really full overnight diaper.

I haven't noticed a correlation to teething.  But I have noticed I can't eat maple syrup without thinking of my kid's pee diaper. 

This, lol. 
  • Options
    I've noticed it before when I change her first diaper in the am-I had no clue it could actually mean something, I just thought it was her pee. I'm too scared to google so I'll just mention it to the pedi at her next appointment.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"